Why can't I get purple?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NancyRogers

Reaction score
I keep trying to use my micas to get a purple color, but I'm failing. First I used purple mica than I tried a mix of red blue and purple and use what I felt was a lot. Still, not really purple. Could it be my olive oil? I am currently using an olive oil that is pretty green. Still the raw batter doesn't look all that green. Should I be using oxides instead? :?

I think I'll do that. It's about time for me to make another TKB order anyway. :wink:

i was having the worst time getting purple with liquid and powdered colors. it kept going grey or pink, so i finally just tripled the amount of what i had used before and used every purple thing i had and low and behold... i got dark purple! it came out right at what i wanted. i think i wasn't using near enough before and that is what messed me up.

I use powdered UM Violet and get all kinds of great purple shades- from a deep purple to a light lavender shade. I have to use about 2 or 3 times as much as other powdered colorants to get it to come through, though.

IrishLass :)

greenish can be problematic. I did find that purple plus yellowish = gray, and the olive oil can be yellowish-greenish.

I like the POP Grape Mica for my seriously purple soaps.
I finally did an etsy site - you can see here how purple a soap can get (I use 25% OO in that recipe, but mine isn't greenish) http://www.etsy.com/listing/37449814/vi ... dmade-soap

I use red sandalwood powder and it gives a nice light purple if you dose it right.

Thanks for all of the tips. Carebear, I think you're right. I've about decided it is that very green OO I'm using. Next week, I'm going to mix up a couple of pounds of soap with a very light colored OO and adjust my recipe to use less. I think I'm going to use some of that new "Liquid Crack" FO I just got from Daystar (YUM!!) and then try several different colors for some embeds and confetti. That way, I can test out several of my micas and see what colors will turn out. Good research and fun stuff to use in the next batch...win, win.

By the way, your Etsy store looks great! Good luck with your venture. :)

I use alkanet root-infused Olive Oil and get a really nice purple color. I put about a 1/4 cup powder in about 2 c olive oil and let it set out for a day or so, stirring often to mix it up. Then I strain it twice, and use a T or of the infused oil 2 for a 5 lb, subtracting that amount from the olive oil the recipe calls for.

Some people have told me they get a grey or brown with alkanet, but I've not had that problem. It always comes out a nice purple, dark or light depending on how much infused oil I use.

I get my OO from Sam's club, it's more yellowish, than green in color 101 oz for under 16.00. I use violet ultramarine, it usually gets me a good purple, but sometimes I add the purple TBK drops to back it up if it looks like it's fading (usually when you add your lye).
The pop colors are great as well, it just depends on how dark of a purple you want.
Good luck, sometimes it's just hit or miss, no matter how much planning you do.

LotusFlowerSoap said:
I use alkanet root-infused Olive Oil and get a really nice purple color. I put about a 1/4 cup powder in about 2 c olive oil and let it set out for a day or so, stirring often to mix it up. Then I strain it twice, and use a T or of the infused oil 2 for a 5 lb, subtracting that amount from the olive oil the recipe calls for.

Some people have told me they get a grey or brown with alkanet, but I've not had that problem. It always comes out a nice purple, dark or light depending on how much infused oil I use.

Me too, I infused my oils with alkanet before mixing with lye solution. They start out a really vivid cerise colour, as soon as you add the lye it goes a fab royal purple which lightes to a lovely lavendery colour once cured.

I used lavender & clary sage EO's + lavender buds for texture mmmmm, lovely.

Good luck in your purple ventures :)

I use a greenish olive oil, and get purple with oxides I do add quite a bit of the powder though (which I mix with a little of the oils to blend it). I use 1 tsp powder ppo.

Back