White flecks that don’t seem to be lye pockets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribbeaness

Reaction score
I’ve recently made some soap which I added grated coconut to. When I cut the soap, there were some small white flecks that were too small and clustered to be coconut. I zap tested it and I couldn’t feel anything. But it’s bothering me. Help?

Here it is. The coconut is the brown part (it wasn’t a peeled coconut so the skin Made it brown) you can see the patches of flecks here🥺
8A280F66-E3D1-4A53-BBC3-25E34F0D2947.jpeg

What was your method, full recipe, measurements, temp... etc.

I have an idea of what happened but recipe and temps can affect my answer.

I'm leaning towards you didn't soap warm enough and it's stearic spots.

I was going to say the opposite. I soaped hot on a recent batch and got similar marks where the batter started to saponify too fast for my colorant to disperse.

• 6.9 ounces coconut oil
  • 5.8 ounces olive oil
  • 5.8 ounces castor oil
  • 2.3 ounces crab wood oil
  • 2.3 ounces canola coil
  • 3.2 ounces sodium hydroxide
  • 6.4 ounces coconut milk
I used coconut milk ice cubes to make my lye solution and I don’t know the temperature because I don’t have a thermometer. I just heated them up in a double boiler for some time and then I cooled it a little. When I added the lye, the temp was comfortable enough for me to hold the mixing bowl.

Based on your recipe, it’s probably a temperature issue. It’s just cosmetic and the soap will clean just fine. I still think you soaped too hot but Shunt’s idea that you soaped a bit too cold is also valid. The only way to know for sure is if you get a laser thermometer and keep track of what happens.

(And just a note because you are newer: measure by weight if you can and take thorough notes. It’s easier to repeat a recipe (or not) if you know exactly what happened. Weight is a more accurate than volume if you want those consistent results)

Based on your recipe, it’s probably a temperature issue. It’s just cosmetic and the soap will clean just fine. I still think you soaped too hot but Shunt’s idea that you soaped a bit too cold is also valid. The only way to know for sure is if you get a laser thermometer and keep track of what happens.

(And just a note because you are newer: measure by weight if you can and take thorough notes. It’s easier to repeat a recipe (or not) if you know exactly what happened. Weight is a more accurate than volume if you want those consistent results)
Okie dokie
So do I need to get a particular scale or is a kitchen scale ok?

Kitchen scales are perfect. I think mine was under $20USD. If you want to go fancy there are threads about the different models and functions but like I said... a $20 scale suits all my needs.

Okie dokie
So do I need to get a particular scale or is a kitchen scale ok?
I think having a IR thermometer is a must but other people on the forum doesn't think it is. Which is the right answer, both. If you are just starting, a IR thermometer is a must. It allows you to make sure that you are not soaping to hot or to cold. I still use an IR thermometer after 1.5 years. I keep track of the temperature from pouring through the gel phase because along with other details this gives me something to cross reference if I have a problem with the recipe, both now and in the future.

A kd7000 or kd8000 is a good choice for scales. I have the kd7000 and I really like it but I also have a scale that will weigh as little as 0.001 I have a couple of ingredients for preventing DOS & rancid soap and so I need the lower weight amount. I also make other cosmetics that call for very small amounts.

If money is an issue, you can save a lot by looking on the website Ali. Shipping is slow but you will save a lot of money. I highly recommend getting the best that you can afford. Getting the right equipment to start with can save you a lot of time and money plus a lot of headaches. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Latest posts

Back