White coating on soap - help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendermenace

Reaction score
This is my first time on this forum - so excited to be a part of this community! I'm making cold-process soap with charcoal. Batch after batch is coming out of the molds with a thin white coating on the bars.

It's definitely not lye or ashing - the texture is smooth and fatty, not at all powdery/dusty (like soda ash) or brittle/crumbly (like lye). I'm pretty sure it's just fats, honestly - when I did the zap test for lye, it didn't even "taste" like soap. Ninety percent of the time it appears as a sort of cloudy milky coloring (like the middle bars in the shots below), but sometimes the edges of the white coloring are more defined (like the blotchy bars on the left and right in the shots below).

The white coating is several millimeters thick - it does scrape off (see the last picture below), and the rest of the soap is fine (fully blended, no patches/separation/lye, not too soft or hard). It's the lovely solid black soap I've been dreaming of, hiding tantalizingly just below the surface. I'm making this soap in pretty large bulk, so I'd love to not have to go through the laborious scraping process every time. The frustrating thing is - an acquaintance showed me exactly how she made this exact recipe, and her bars turned out perfectly - solid black right of the molds. Now we've fallen out of touch and I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this.

Here's the recipe I'm using:
15.2oz beeswax
136.1oz coconut oil (76 deg)
120.2oz olive oil (not pomace)
45.7oz palm kernel flakes
104.64oz water
45.3oz lye

The freshly poured soap goes into an insulated box for 24 hours, then into the freezer for 5-10 hours so that the bars slip out of their plastic molds.This recipe is about 9% superfatted, which is high, but I tried a batch at 6% that turned out with the same white layer. I've also played around with pouring temps, blending speed, time insulated, double-checked my scale, reweighed my ingredients... Nothing seems to help, and I haven't seen or heard of this problem on the soapy corners of the internet, either, which is strange.

ANY insight you lovely people can provide would be so, so appreciated!

soap4.jpg

soap3.jpg
soap1.jpg

What are your soaping temps? Beeswax requires pretty high temps (I think somewhere around 150+ deg F) to stay in liquid form. Otherwise you risk it turning solid again while the rest of your oils are liquid. Can't say if this is causing your coloring problem but just something to consider.

I think Kazmi is on to something. Especially as it doesn't taste like soap.

That amount of beeswax (about 5% of your soaping oils) seems rather high to me. Typically I've seen beeswax used at .5 to 2% of oil weight.

Maybe omit the beeswax and see what happens.

9% SF is not too high with over 50% of your recipe as CO and PKO.

I agree with posters above me, that is a lot of beeswax.. You could melt them in a crock pot and put them back in the mold.

Did the person that gave you the recipe use PKO or palm oil? Just wondering. And did she use the freezer?

Back