White area in Castille soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
Hi! I made a batch of castille about 3 weeks ago, and some of my Castille soap bar has white area while the whole bar is yellow. I used 100% Extra Virgin Olive from Metro CAsh&Carry. Anyone got this before? :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow thats interesting, never seen it before. The soap is very yellow for a castille. I havn't made one before but all the pictures I have seen are of white soaps.

Does the bar smell like oil at all?

No, it smelled Lavender, coz I put Lavender EO in it :lol: and it is weird that here in South Asia, extra virgin olive oil make very yellow soap. :(. Anyone know what did this? :(

Wow. I haven't seen anything like that in a castille bar.

I wonder if your olive oil was not really olive oil. But even then...weird.

:shock:

I would blame it on an FO but not lavender EO.

I'm not sure...

Did you notice when you poured it if there were chunky bits of batter? Was the entire batter the same consistency when poured? I've had some fragrances try to seize and if I don't work fast enough, there are globs of seized soap running through the batter. I'm thinking maybe if the oil wasn't pure olive, maybe the same sort of thing happened with whatever portion wasn't olive.

When I blended and poured, nothing strange happened. It is also 100% pure Olive oil. :( . This does not happen for every Castille soap in this batch.

if you touch your tongue to the white area does it "zap"? different from the yellow area?

I've done the tongue zap test, and I got zapped once. It was painful. Now, I just wet my finger, rub that on the soap, and touch that to my tongue. I find that much less uncomfortable. :eek:)

i've made using EVOO "Bertolli" it very white....
and very expensive

i wont use EVOO again

now days im using Pomace OO

which country of south asia are you?
im from indonesia

Try using lower greade oilive oil

Extra virgin is not necessary for soap making. Non-virgin is much better to use in many cases and cheaper as well. I buy at a membership club, and 5 liters grade A is very reasonable and makes harder soap that cures about 3 weeks sooner.

I am in Vietnam, mate :) That EVOO u talking about is very expensive :(.
My Metro Pomace cant make my soap hard. It stayed gel for a very long time (>6 months till now?) Thats why I have to use EVOO :(
Thanks all, I will try it on my tongue tonight. God bless it :))

Well, no zip with tongue test, 100% pure Olive oil pressed. Strange hah? :(

wow 6months.... have you double check your recipe?
adding enough lye

my pomace OO or EVOO soap quite hard after 24-48 hours

try to add 2-3% beeswax or salt (or sugar???) it will help hardden your soap

@yoenoess: I and my friend tried it seperatedly on our own, but same result. I never try adding BW or SL for that castille recipe since I see it strange by gelling for months. :(

My castille soap with 100% OO turned also out very yellow, don't have the white area's in them tough. I am from Belgium...Seems that somehow it should have to do with the quality of the oil, or maybe with the type of olives used to make the oil...

No, I've never seen that before. I made a castile with EVOO last night and it's quite yellow compared to making castile with the other olive oils.

hobbiz said:
So it maybe different because of origins of olive oil?
There are a few countries that produce olive oil, like Turkey & Tunisia. Olive oil differs from country to country, the growing conditions, the weather, the soil content etc...

Back