While I'm Learning, Olive Oil Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDee

Reaction score
I bought my oils from Soapers Choice and thought they were quite reasonable, along with shipping. Although I didn't buy large amounts.
I will run out soon if I continue to use what I have.

While I am learning, can I just use regular olive oil from the grocery store until I get the hang of things? I know you can use crisco too.
Are there other oils that can be bought at the grocery store that can be used?

Thanks!

Oh Yes, I use Olive oil from the supermarket all the time, just make sure it is the lightest one, and that it is 100% Olive oil. some say that it is but alsways look at the small print! It is much cheaper that way, over in the Uk anyway!

absolutely the olive oil at the grocery store is just as good - it's the same!

you can use lard, canola, soybean (small doses of those two), sunflower, safflower, crisco, castor, corn (in theory - I don't like this one), palm - heck if you can find it, you can soap it!

That is so cool! I need to go grocery shopping, tomorrow I think!
I will have to stock up on oils. Another cool thing, I have a guy near me, The Lye Guy, so I can just go pick up my lye!
I just hated the thought of using and having to order more oils on line while I am learning.
Thank you thank you!

I buy both my grapeseed and my olive oil from the grocery store....way cheaper than any supplier....especially when I buy from Superstore.

Yep, I buy the 5 litre OO from Costco, I cringe when I drag 10 bottles to the cashier. But it's cheaper per ounce than the olive pomace I can buy anywhere else. And No Shipping - a big plus.

BTW, Price Check for last week was 22.99 for 169 oz. - or 2.18 a lb.

Deda said:
Yep, I buy the 5 litre OO from Costco, I cringe when I drag 10 bottles to the cashier. But it's cheaper per ounce than the olive pomace I can buy anywhere else. And No Shipping - a big plus.

I do that too. Everything else I buy in 50 lb. buckets.

soapbuddy said:
Deda said:

I'm so glad to know you do that too! I've looked everywhere for cheaper OO, but unless I order by the drum it's not cheaper.

I called Cargill in Richmond asking about where to buy CO and Palm 200lbs at a time, they sent me to a guy who was going to let me in on this big secret - Soapers Choice/Mike Lawson :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deda said:
soapbuddy said:
Deda said:

I'm so glad to know you do that too! I've looked everywhere for cheaper OO, but unless I order by the drum it's not cheaper.

I called Cargill in Richmond asking about where to buy CO and Palm 200lbs at a time, they sent me to a guy who was going to let me in on this big secret - Soapers Choice/Mike Lawson :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some big secret! :lol:
I had a chance to buy 2 tons of pure cocoa butter at a ridiculously low price. If I had the facilities, I would have bought it.

soapbuddy said:
I had a chance to buy 2 tons of pure cocoa butter at a ridiculously low price. If I had the facilities, I would have bought it.

:shock: Now that is a lot of cocoa! Who would have that kind of facility?

SimplyE said:
soapbuddy said:

:shock: Now that is a lot of cocoa! Who would have that kind of facility?
I passed my info on to a well known soapmaking vendor. We'll see. I wanted that butter soooo bad. But the crate would have been higher than my house and it would have melted in the Palm Springs heat.

Thanks for reminding me about the coconut oil Bunny! I almost forgot and would be very sad to try soaping tomorrow without my stash. It was on the list today and I forgot!

carebear said:
absolutely the olive oil at the grocery store is just as good - it's the same!

you can use lard, canola, soybean (small doses of those two), sunflower, safflower, crisco, castor, corn (in theory - I don't like this one), palm - heck if you can find it, you can soap it!

agreed....quality-wise its the same, your just getting it at market price and not wholesale! :)

Thanks! I went to walmart and bought olive, safflower, coconut and castor oil!
I was tempted to buy some lard, crisco and goats milk! Can I use goats milk from a can? I didn't see powered goats milk, does it come in a powder?
They had all kinds of powdered milk, but wasn't sure what kind I can use.
I've also seen where people use coconut cream,,,what is coconut cream?
Boy, look at all the questions,,sorry!

i just found palm at cub in the health section, it says shortening, but is 100% palm oil!

DeeDee said:
Thanks! I went to walmart and bought olive, safflower, coconut and castor oil!
I was tempted to buy some lard, crisco and goats milk! Can I use goats milk from a can? I didn't see powered goats milk, does it come in a powder?
They had all kinds of powdered milk, but wasn't sure what kind I can use.
I've also seen where people use coconut cream,,,what is coconut cream?
Boy, look at all the questions,,sorry!
You can use goat's milk in a can, just make sure it doesn't have guar gum.

Latest posts

Back