Which soap cutter do you like best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the tank?

This:
2dc0c06238ec16dd6c2b3c2a37cf57ee.image.150x112.JPG

I fail to see what the big deal is about the tank. I'm sure its great for high production soapmakers, but I think Bud's or other similiar woodframe one would do just as well, like this one:

il_570xN.378789581_mc02.jpg

It's $100. less then the tank. I like the flat cutter design better, but I like the idea of open sides for longer loaves. I'm a ways off before buying one of these though. Here's Bud's Etsy shop, he has an M&P cutter now, too:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/budhaffner

Last edited:
yep, that's the one I have - but I've had it forever so i don't remember if back then it took that long or not. Probably. But I've had mine going on probably 9 years now? IDK a looooong time. :)

Yep that's it! I have that one too! And it took forever to get it. I actually couldn't remember if I had ordered it, it took so long:grin:

Thanks Melstan I saw that one and immediately said no thanks! But that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see what the big deal is about the tank. I'm sure its great for high production soapmakers, but I think Bud's or other similiar woodframe one would do just as well, like this one:

The main difference (but still probably not worth the money) is that over time the wooden ones can warp, crack or with continued use get raw soap on them and get ruined.
The Tank you can easily get wet, wash, submerge in water to get really clean with no problems to the structure and without it getting ruined with continued use/abuse.
Those are the main difference's. But as I said, someone not doing huge production would probably be just as well off with the less expensive one.

Last edited:
Anyone know where you get the screws that tighten the wires? I'm trying to build my own right now and that was one area I had to compromise on.

Wow - that Tank does sure look nice :) But probably not good for a newbie like myself. I need my training wheels first.

A question though......when you pull the wires through and make the cut, it seems like it would be best to remove the soap from the platform before pulling the wire arm back up. Do you all find that to be true? If so, the it would be difficult to remove the bars from models such as the Tank. And it seems like the flat models would work better then?

Yes - once the cut is made you remove the soap and then wipe the wires clean. Since I don't have a tank but rather the hobby cutter which is flat I can't address the level of difficulty with the tank....

Yup, I contemplated getting one, but at the end I preferred my wooden "miter box" type cutter because I can control the thickness of individual bars. Now if you are making and selling a ton of soap, then a wire cutter is definitely more efficient.

Yup, I like that I am able to cut 1", 1.5" and even larger than that with my little wooden cutter.

Another vote for the tank here.

I am in awe of the craftsmanship, and I don't think it was expensive at all for what it is. The shipping will vary depending on where you are. It did take a while, maybe 6 to 8 weeks. Too many people making soap I guess.

Anybody else have the problem cutting in a miter box and have the log move and making wedge shaped bars? :problem:
Driving me nuts (and it's a short trip).
Thanks,
Roy

Back