Which soap cutter do you like best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplecatsoap

Reaction score
Hi all - I only make CP and HP soap in a log molds. I am pretty new to this, and bought a wooden soap cutter, which is ok. But I am wondering what soap cutters you like best. I've been looking for one that I saw a picture of a while back, to cut logs......it had 8-9 wires on a handle that you could pull down and cut the log all at one time. Sounds familiar to anyone?

Yup, I contemplated getting one, but at the end I preferred my wooden "miter box" type cutter because I can control the thickness of individual bars. Now if you are making and selling a ton of soap, then a wire cutter is definitely more efficient.

Last edited:
Hi all - I only make CP and HP soap in a log molds. I am pretty new to this, and bought a wooden soap cutter, which is ok. But I am wondering what soap cutters you like best. I've been looking for one that I saw a picture of a while back, to cut logs......it had 8-9 wires on a handle that you could pull down and cut the log all at one time. Sounds familiar to anyone?
I use the one you are talking about and LOVE it! However, I wish I did have more control over cutting just an end piece to check for hardness or cutting the bars into smaller pieces.....

I use the one you are talking about and LOVE it! However, I wish I did have more control over cutting just an end piece to check for hardness or cutting the bars into smaller pieces.....

This may seem like a silly question but how easily do the wires go through the soap? Do they need a lot of muscle to go through smoothly?

I just bought the adjustable cutter box from Willow Way. I haven't tried it yet but it looks well made and has an adjustable cutting shield. Need to make my next batch to try it out :p

This may seem like a silly question but how easily do the wires go through the soap? Do they need a lot of muscle to go through smoothly?

you only need muscle on them if you let your soap sit too long before cutting.
I have the hobby cutter from FCS and I LOVE it. I would rather have an open ended one, because sometimes I make longer logs, but eh, that's not a problem for me either.

Could you offset the loaf to where you gut it to get end pieces, or put just the end into the soap cutter, and use a book ro something to support the end to get an end piece?

not at all, it glides right through. I think it has good leverage.

Could you offset the loaf to where you gut it to get end pieces, or put just the end into the soap cutter, and use a book ro something to support the end to get an end piece?
Yeah i hadnt thought of that lol! :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the responses so far. The picture I saw was from a post a while back and I can't find it now. But I looked up the FCS ones and like how they appear. Do you all find that wires break often?

Thanks for all of the responses so far. The picture I saw was from a post a while back and I can't find it now. But I looked up the FCS ones and like how they appear. Do you all find that wires break often?

I've had my FCS hobby cutter going on 8+ years and have only had 1 wire break and that is because I was dumb and tried to cut a very cold M&P log with it. LOL
So I would say, no. Not very often at all.

Mine looks a lot like this one. But where I to do it over, and in fact I've hinted seriously to my son in law, I want one more like the one from creekside soaps I want the wavy/ straight soapcutter.
il_570xN.341650830.jpg

I love my soap cutter from Budhaffner on Etsy!! I bought the mod 2 and it is such a time saver, not to mention nice smooth cuts and even bars!!!

Mine looks a lot like this one. But where I to do it over, and in fact I've hinted seriously to my son in law, I want one more like the one from creekside soaps I want the wavy/ straight soapcutter.
il_570xN.341650830.jpg

This looks a lot like the hobby cutter from FCS that I have. Like I said, I would love an open ended cutter (like the tank or one of those from Bud Hafner), but this one works, and I've gotten really good at cutting my 18" logs to where I have no waste. :)

Latest posts

Back