Which essential oil pairings will/won't work in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartimarti

Reaction score
I am new at this, so I am trying to figure out which EOs can stand alone and which ones really need something else with them.

My idea was to just sniff things side by side and try to tell that way or go off of common combos that I am always seeing/sniffing.

My boyfriend is in on the new soap hobby with me and is concerned that we need to figure out which EOs need a "buddy oil" with them in order to smell decent or stick well. He has been very awesome about researching, ordering stuff, etc. so I definitely trust that if he has a concern, it's probably pretty valid.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marti :p

I would also consider what EOs you like and don't like...

Me, I love lemongrass and lavender. Then a little of sweet orange, eucalyptus, and tea tree. There are other EOs I like. I HATE Citronella (gave me a major headache and is very concentrated) and prefer to avoid some others for various personal reasons.

They talk about the toothpick method of testing combination in vdwinsby's link. I did something like that when deciding what to use. I put them in glass baby jars that were cleaned out and left to sit for a day for the scents to meld together.

I love the rainbow meadows site, it is so helpful!

Start simply. Choose 1 or 2 or 3 EOs tops, to play with. Understand that some blends smell horrid at first and need to mellow for a while to bloom.

Basic EOs that i would never be without include lavender, patchouli, lemongrass, a citrus (sweet orange may be the most versatile) and spearmint. Patchouli and lemongrass are quite powerful and a little can go a long way! From those:

lavender/patchouli
sweet orange/patchouli
lavender/sweet orange/patchouli
lavender/mint
lemongrass/lavender
lemongrass/patchouli
spearmint/patchouli
sweet orange/lemongrass/patchouli
spearmint/sweet orange (and a kiss of patchouli)

Also if you are doing cold process soap, you will need to "anchor" some of your essential oils so they remain (otherwise you won't smell them when your soap is done!). Mostly this applies to the citruses, like lemon, sweet orange, tangerine, lime, etc. You can anchor by using a complementary essential oil. Patchouli, litsea and cedarwood all all good anchors. Use just a small amount if you don't want to alter the scent, or use a larger amount to create a lovely scent blend. (some that come to mind...sweet orange and patch, lime and cedarwood.) Also I often make a tangerine-lavender blend, but I know the tangerine will disappear unless I add just a kiss of patchouli. It's not enough to prevent the tangerine and lavender from shining through, it's just enough to hold that tangerine.
Enjoy working with the EOs! They can be quite addictive :wink:

The way I test combinations is adding, say two drops orange, and one drop clove onto a cotton ball and putting the cotton ball in a small ziplock bag for an hour or day even.

don't set that baggie on a sensitive surface - EOs can eat through plastic, and then through the finish on your table or counter top. set it on a plate!

ask me how I know :oops:

Latest posts

Back