Where do you keep all your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has always been an issue for me. I've been using cake cooling trays covered with paper towel and in a cupboard. But recently I found a 3-tier shelf on wheels which is good. I like that I can move it about and I get my shelves back fir my soaping ingredients and supplies. I do put a cloth cover over it. View attachment 35866

Is that a metal or plastic cart? I would be careful if it’s metal. Don’t let the soap come in contact with it.

I’m currently on the hunt for a used, bread drying rack....with plastic lunch style trays. Like this one:
3D1DC7F6-8082-4EB0-8373-665E7F06DC12.jpeg

They have full height and half height. I just have to find the right price ( I’m cheap). So I scour Craig’s list and restaurant supply stores until I find a bargain!

This has always been an issue for me. I've been using cake cooling trays covered with paper towel and in a cupboard. But recently I found a 3-tier shelf on wheels which is good. I like that I can move it about and I get my shelves back fir my soaping ingredients and supplies. I do put a cloth cover over it. View attachment 35866

Thats a great idea you might be able to fit a tray on top to make another layer for more storage space

@Hendejm i had a look for that kinda thing but couldnt find them in england for cheap enough. How many soaps do you usually have curing at once? The shelves iv got can fit about 25-30 bars on each and theres 6 shelves i got plastic perferated sheeting to layer them so no need to turn while curing because air will get underneath. They cost 20 quid but they take up so little floor space iv got 2 tucked behind the door in my living room might be worth looking into getting something like that they are nicely presented too so fit the decore of my room and if i need more they will easily tuck into a corner somewhere

Last edited:
Hendejm i had a look for that kinda thing but couldnt find them in england for cheap enough. How many soaps do you usually have curing at once? The shelves iv got can fit about 25-30 bars on each and theres 6 shelves i got plastic perferated sheeting to layer them so no need to turn while curing because air will get underneath. They cost 20 quid but they take up so little floor space iv got 2 tucked behind the door in my living room might be worth looking into getting something like that they are nicely presented too so fit the decore of my room and if i need more they will easily tuck into a corner somewhere
Right now I have about 200 or so curing...but that number is gonna jump to about 800/1000 very soon. I’ve got plastic shelving but I don’t like it and feel like if someone farted...it could blow the shelves over so looking for something larger, durable, on wheels for when my soaping room is finished. AC was installed on Monday, plumber coming to plumb sinks next Tuesday and then I will start moving out of the garage. I have to find some used cabinets to put on the walls for storage....bought stainless tables from Home Depot.

I am definitely off to Ikea at the weekend to get myself something and pop into Hobbycraft for some needlepoint sheets. My husband goes away for 2 weeks next week and I have taken some time off work, I am going to spend the whole time making and practicing my soap methods. Cant wait:D:D:D

Hobby craft you will pay a small fortune for the sheets! Did you look at the link i tagged you on? And i got my shelves from b&m they are bathroom shelves to start off with honestly one will be plenty i got 2 and iv been making quite a few batches and have yet to fill both would have to be making like 4-5 loaves a week to fill them all in before some have cured and freed up some space. Im sure ikea will have something too and its upto you just here to give some hopfully helpful advice :).

Have you bought any fo or eo? I just put in an order for lye, some fo and a top up of coconut oil, shea butter and palm oil mostly because for the moment i have the money but that will change by next month so before it gets spent on something else decided to top up on some stuff.

@Hendejm fair enough you have quite a lot more than me right now lol but i get the whole falling over thing i bought a set of wooden shelves now upstairs with oils ect on at first intended to use for curing but they were too easy to move and shake half the soaps off so got these bathroom shelves and zip tied them together so they effectively have 8 legs not 4 and are far more stable. Suppose i will have to look for something like you are after if i manage to get to selling stage. Have you looked at ebay lots on ebay here but they dont seem to come with the trays so then that presents another cost

Is that a metal or plastic cart? I would be careful if it’s metal. Don’t let the soap come in contact with it.
Thanks, it's painted metal and I put paper towel down over it. There are air holes, but you're right, one of my cake cooling trays caused yellow stain lines on the bottom of my soap, even with paper towel then I started using a tea towel but don't know if it's better if not yet.

Hobby craft you will pay a small fortune for the sheets! Did you look at the link i tagged you on? And i got my shelves from b&m they are bathroom shelves to start off with honestly one will be plenty i got 2 and iv been making quite a few batches and have yet to fill both would have to be making like 4-5 loaves a week to fill them all in before some have cured and freed up some space. Im sure ikea will have something too and its upto you just here to give some hopfully helpful advice :).

Have you bought any fo or eo? I just put in an order for lye, some fo and a top up of coconut oil, shea butter and palm oil mostly because for the moment i have the money but that will change by next month so before it gets spent on something else decided to top up on some stuff.

@Hendejm fair enough you have quite a lot more than me right now lol but i get the whole falling over thing i bought a set of wooden shelves now upstairs with oils ect on at first intended to use for curing but they were too easy to move and shake half the soaps off so got these bathroom shelves and zip tied them together so they effectively have 8 legs not 4 and are far more stable. Suppose i will have to look for something like you are after if i manage to get to selling stage. Have you looked at ebay lots on ebay here but they dont seem to come with the trays so then that presents another cost
Thank you so much for advice, please don’t stop :)I think I am so eager I can’t wait to order on line . But your right HC is very expensive so I will order on the website your suggested. I have been looking at FOand EO just getting a few at the moment of small sizes keeping records of smell performance etc then I ones I like I will get some larger sizes. X

I’m currently on the hunt for a used, bread drying rack....with plastic lunch style trays. Like this one:

They have full height and half height. I just have to find the right price ( I’m cheap). So I scour Craig’s list and restaurant supply stores until I find a bargain!

I have a large stainless one (ex-bakery stock lol), and they are good except the castors deteriorate over time (the soap/lye eats the rubber), so get one with replaceable wheels if you can :)

The trays don't need to be plastic - you can buy perforated and woven wire stainless trays to fit, or make your own wooden flats ;)

I got boxes from work that should fit a loaf worth of bars. I have a few batches that are ready to be boxed up. I am wondering if the soap can be touching each other if I box it up and close the boxes or should I leave the boxes open and or put something in between the soap?

Thank you so much for advice, please don’t stop :)I think I am so eager I can’t wait to order on line . But your right HC is very expensive so I will order on the website your suggested. I have been looking at FOand EO just getting a few at the moment of small sizes keeping records of smell performance etc then I ones I like I will get some larger sizes. X

I normally refuse to pay more for p&p but because they were so much cheaper than in general shops i paid the extra for those. Have a look at supplies for candles, mystic moments and for eo the soapery are all good places to start for fragrances. Ikeas worth a look but cant recommend the shelves i got enough and they were only £20 each so probably wont find much better than that at IKEA i like them because they actually look nice tucked away in the corner of my living room. If you have got any fragrances from any those suppliers oh and livemoor inbox me and i might be able to help with regards to the way they behave if you get the same i have. If you like sweet fo bakewell tart and cola cubes from suppliesfor candles are both awesome and both behaved for me

Like you, I soap in my kitchen, making sure the sink is empty when I start (my basin goes in there, ready to accept used soap dishes); and clean up all soapy things before using the kitchen for food. I put my first 2 soap batches in the closet, then removed them when I made the third to someplace with more air flow -- my kitchen rack, located just outside the kitchen itself. There is literally NO room left in this apartment now that my SO shares it with me, so my soap box (hahaha haaaa!) that feels like 25 POUNDS worth, is at the top of the rack, keeping my bread machine and sundry plastics company. Box lid has numerous holes punched in the bottom and lined with needlepoint plastic sheet, which gives me a surface to pile more soap on, lol. Not sure how much higher I can go, maybe one more brown plastic bin. 100% cotton 'dust cover' that i peeled back for photo purposes.

20190205_soap storage 141005-1.jpg

I got boxes from work that should fit a loaf worth of bars. I have a few batches that are ready to be boxed up. I am wondering if the soap can be touching each other if I box it up and close the boxes or should I leave the boxes open and or put something in between the soap?

Probably best if they don't touch. Curing soap needs air circulation all around, which is why many put a plastic craft sheet down first. Mine is so long that I can bend it over the top and place another box on top of that because the plastic is firm enough (see above pic). I've read that the boxes should have holes punched in them, again, for air circulation.

ETA: Those brown bins were $1 each, and I'm now thinking to get rid of the box and just pile up those light-weight bins with a craft sheet between. Then everything will be ventilated to the max, without much cash outlay.

Last edited:

If you have a local bakery talk to them. There is a Wonder/Rainbow bread bakery in the town I grew up in and when I first started soaping I went and asked them what they did with their old used racks. They just throw them away most of the time. You can ask if they have any you could have.
Worth a shot. I got 2 when I first started soaping that way.

If you have a local bakery talk to them. There is a Wonder/Rainbow bread bakery in the town I grew up in and when I first started soaping I went and asked them what they did with their old used racks. They just throw them away most of the time. You can ask if they have any you could have.
Worth a shot. I got 2 when I first started soaping that way.
That’s a fantastic idea! Thank you.

Probably best if they don't touch. Curing soap needs air circulation all around, which is why many put a plastic craft sheet down first. Mine is so long that I can bend it over the top and place another box on top of that because the plastic is firm enough (see above pic). I've read that the boxes should have holes punched in them, again, for air circulation.

ETA: Those brown bins were $1 each, and I'm now thinking to get rid of the box and just pile up those light-weight bins with a craft sheet between. Then everything will be ventilated to the max, without much cash outlay.

its for soap that has cured

View attachment 35867

I always see those at cafeterias for dirty trays...if you have colleges or universities nearby, you might add their surplus stores to your list?

I use 3-tier Cookie Cooling Racks to cure soaps. Each holds 24-36 4-5 oz soaps. Similar to Wilton shown here:

3-tier Cooling Rack.jpg

I have two antique chests of drawers in the guest bedroom that hold a total of six (3-tier) racks. Once cured, the soaps go into the drawers stacked in cardboard boxes -- the short cut-off ones that come with 24 cans of Coke or whatever. I use 4-ply Mylar sheets (1000H architectural drawing sheets used to make blueprints) to line the racks and the cardboard. I have lots of that to use up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
View attachment 35867

The trays end up costing more than the racks!

Latest posts

Back