Where do you keep all your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make soap in the kitchen, then clean it all away before we do any cooking. I put my first batch up top in my wardrobe - spread out inside a box lid for photocopy paper. I turn it regularly.
My second batch is recently unmolded and sitting in the hallway shelf on a cooling rack waiting for me to bring home another box lid and do the same.

That will be the available wardrobe space fully occupied.

I'm making another batch this weekend, where will I put it?

What do you all do when you have 6, 10, 15 batches all curing at the same time? Should it be kept in a warm place or a cool place?

Make sure you lime the baking rack with something. Coming in contact with metal can cause DOS. I make soap in the kitchen. I have 4 large racks in a spare bedroom where I keep supplies and cure my soaps

Thanks Shunty. I’ve lined it with baking paper, is that sufficient? It’s getting transferred to the box lid tonight anyway.
What does one do to stop dust settling on soaps curing over long periods of time? One should keep it uncovered to allow air circulation shouldn’t they?

I used box lids primarily as well and often still use them, in fact. I line them with plastic mesh to aid with airflow beneath (not a lot, but even that little bit seems to help, I think.) I stack the box lids atop each other sometimes when necessary for more space, but alternating in a kitty-korner type way. I used to turn them, but I only do that occasionally, and haven't found it really makes any difference.

At first I used whatever space was handy, the top of a spare bed, on top of a desk, on top of racks, etc. Finding a way to consolidate space to take up the lease amount of foot space became imperative as I began to accumulate more and more soap, of course.

As for dust, that can be wiped off before wrapping the soap and putting on your labels. Or you can use some muslin or light cheese-cloth to screen out dust. After all, unless you are curing your soap in a very dusty environment, it's not going to accumulate a lot of dust before you wrap and label your soap.

After sufficiently cured, I put the wrapped & labeled soaps into cardboard boxes now, rather than leaving them out.

I have a soap curing room dedicated to my biz. I have several curing racks for my soap. I ended up buying cafeteria trays and lining them with wax paper. The trays are stackable so I can have several rows of soaps curing on the same shelf. Each shelf can hold up to 240 soaps and I have 8 shelves I am currently using for my soaps and together they can hold 1920 soaps curing at the same time. At any time I have at least 600-800 soaps curing unless I am gearing up for the big shows. Then I can't make soap fast enough. Its a tough problem to have but also a good problem. I've had to learn how to effectively master batch so I can churn out a buttload of soap on soaping days.

Make sure you lime the baking rack with something. Coming in contact with metal can cause DOS. I make soap in the kitchen. I have 4 large racks in a spare bedroom where I keep supplies and cure my soaps
You probly just solved the problem of why 2 batches of my soap got dos, I dried them on metal racks. And you probably just saved my shampoo bars from going bad! I ran downstairs and put parchment under them. So glad I read this thread. It's only been a few days, hope I cought it in time.

I line the shelves with fabric now, but basically...
20180710_080619.jpg

I could add a shelf between each, if I had more soap, but this is the most I've made at a time.

You probly just solved the problem of why 2 batches of my soap got dos, I dried them on metal racks. And you probably just saved my shampoo bars from going bad! I ran downstairs and put parchment under them. So glad I read this thread. It's only been a few days, hope I cought it in time.

I actually line my shelves with plastic needlepoint material. It has holes so the air can circulate.

Am I the only one that 'tucks my curing soap in to bed' every night by going to have a wee look at it, touching it, smelling it, and generally admiring it? :p

Probably not. When I was new to soap making, I did look at my soap every day, including every morning pretty much first thing. Now, it's not so new to me, so I don't feel compelled to check on it as frequently.

I make my soap in my she shed detached from my house and when it’s ready to cut i bring it in. I have a wire shelving unit I keep in my closet where i let them cure and I label and the go under my bed.

Welcome Natasha, as this is your first post, would you like to go to the Introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Am I the only one that 'tucks my curing soap in to bed' every night by going to have a wee look at it, touching it, smelling it, and generally admiring it? :p
I try not to at the moment as I have chocolate soap curing in my sewing room and it smells so good that it makes me what to eat chocolate. I will be glad when I have given these to my family at Christmas and temptation will be gone, or at least that temptation will be gone.

In Spare Oom, I have an old computer desk with multiple tiers where my curing soap stays. Once cured, I shrink-wrap and store it on a bookshelf that we don't have enough books for XD

Also bought a plastic bathroom shelf with 5 tiers from IKEA for around $10 that I like to use for curing soap as well.

Latest posts

Back