Where do you keep all your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a set of wooden shelves few weeks ago which are basically my crafting shelves now but while transfering everything i dont want on them upstairs i decided to reorganise my living room to accomodate future batches. iv currently got 6 batches curing right now and have them all in my living room. once the space of the shelves is needed ill clear some space and move the stuff to the cube storage the baskets are on top of in the photo.

Attachments

• 20181201_192227.jpg
    20181201_192227.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20181201_192237.jpg
    20181201_192237.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 67
I save the bags potatoes come in to use. They're sturdy, as five or 10 pounds of potatoes come in them, and they're breathable, so the soap has plenty of time to cure as I already have a couple years or so worth of soap. I use a permanent marker to write the date and ingredients on the sacks, or you could just put the batch number or something assuming you keep logs, and then close them with the twist ties. Nothing fancy, but it works for me, and the bags are free, at least assuming you don't buy them just to put soap in and throw out the potatoes. o_O

I could see the rug hook base on the shelf and thought - I know what that is, love the charcoal soap :D.

Those of you with multiple batches curing, do you find that any of the scents intermingle if you are say, curing a chocolate-scented bar next to a lavender-scented bar?

Also, for those of us who live in damp climates, would it help the cure time if I set some bars in my dehydrator on a very low temp? Feel free to tell me that's nuts if there's a reason that would be bad, haha!

Those of you with multiple batches curing, do you find that any of the scents intermingle if you are say, curing a chocolate-scented bar next to a lavender-scented bar?

Also, for those of us who live in damp climates, would it help the cure time if I set some bars in my dehydrator on a very low temp? Feel free to tell me that's nuts if there's a reason that would be bad, haha!

No, I’ve never noticed an issue with fragrance transfer, they don’t touch each other. And no, a dehydrator will not help. It will cause them to melt and warp.

Any issues with curing soap in a basement? I'm in the New England area so in the warmer months the basement does get a little more humid. We run a dehumidifier to help. I am just getting started with soaping but would imagine if I really get rolling that i would need more space and the basement is really the only safe place for storage.

@shunt2011 This looks similar to a rack I got yesterday with the exception of yours has many more shelves than mine. Did you purchase extra shelves? If so, where'd you find them? lol I love how your soap looks on the rack!

I actually purchased 4 of them and used the shelves from them to add to my curing racks. They had 5 shelves so I took 2 from each of the others and added them to my two curing racks. The other two racks are holding supplies/packaging etc....

Am I right in thinking then, if I cure my soap on baking wired racks I need to sit the soap on parchment paper??

Yes, they need to have protection from the metal. Contact with metal can cause DOS and have contaminates from the reaction with the metal. I lined my shelves with plastic needlepoint sheets. That way there’s air circulation too.

Am I right in thinking then, if I cure my soap on baking wired racks I need to sit the soap on parchment paper??

As shunt said i also use plastic perferated sheets they were about 80p each think the company is called buddily crafts. Ill check my emails later. Iv got 2 bathroom storage shelves so they were ideal for them. The shelves were 20 quid each but they fit loads of bars on iv not managed to fill them before a few batches have cured think i would have to make about 6 batches a week before i filled them

@Cherrydene soapy https://buddlycrafts.com/shop/product-37721/darice-plastic-canvas-7-count-105-x-135/?v=37719

Thats where i bought the plastic sheets i felt it was worth it for the amount of soap i was making and although id prefer to not use plastic if i can help it but they will last years and felt that using new paper towel each time was more wasteful than buying plastic sheets.

I hope its ok to include a link to something i bought on the forum? if not could you let me know and ill inbox the link to cherrydene :)

Attachments

• 1548544497987.jpg
    1548544497987.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I store mine in copy paper box lids (I work in a print shop and they're readily available to me). Once a lid is filled, it gets tucked under the bed in the spare room. If there's no room under the bed (like now), It is put on the bed. Now that the grandkids are no longer in town, we really don't need the spare bed so it isn't an issue.

This has always been an issue for me. I've been using cake cooling trays covered with paper towel and in a cupboard. But recently I found a 3-tier shelf on wheels which is good. I like that I can move it about and I get my shelves back fir my soaping ingredients and supplies. I do put a cloth cover over it. 20190204_080217.jpg

Latest posts

Back