Where do you cure your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieChan

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to cure it in living spaces? Why? Not even the unscented ones?

Do you put different soap together while curing? Will different scents transfer? And do curing soaps need a lot of air or can I put them in boxes on top of each other?

I started soaping last week and I already made 4 batches and I got another 2 planned but I ran out of olive oil. Now I need somewhere to put them while curing.

I have a soaping/spinning studio and mine cure there.
Scents can transfer.
I cure my HP soaps for 1 week lightly covered with muslin fabric (to keep the light and dust off of them) on racks then they go into boxes(cardboard) they still can breathe nicely in them and they finish curing out and stay stored in them. I do not stack my boxes.

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of soapmaking!

Hmm, I put mine in a spare bedroom closet on a shelf my grandpa built me. Not everybody has the extra space to store things in non-living spaces, that would mean only certain people can soap. We live in an apartment. I wonder why you're not supposed to?

I don't think I've ever heard that you are NOT SUPPOSED to cure in living spaces... just that many choose not to because the strong scents can bother family members or the environmental conditions are not ideal. Plus if you have pets or small children... that could prove problematic for them as well as your soaps... especially if your soaps look like something to eat.

If you don't have small children or pets and any other adults are not bothered then I don't see a problem in general. Your curing site should be reasonably dry and dust free and should not be prone to temperature extremes. I use a rack of wire baskets in my garage which doesn't get much traffic and has a pretty consistent temperature year round.

I say cure them wherever you have the space and they can get a little air moving around them . I bought cheap shelves from wal mart , they hold a lot of soap and don't take up much room .

Kitn

I really want to get one of those baker's racks that I used to see back when I was a cook that they use to proof dough in. Big tall unit with many shelves and a big removable tarp-like cover to maintain environmental conditions and keep the dust off. You could just open up the front flap for ventilation. On wheels, too, which is always handy. That would be PERFECT. Maybe I need to head down to a restaurant supply store or something...

wendybyrd said:
I really want to get one of those baker's racks that I used to see back when I was a cook that they use to proof dough in. Big tall unit with many shelves and a big tarp-like cover to maintain environmental conditions and keep the dust off. On wheels, too, which is always handy. That would be PERFECT. Maybe I need to head down to a restaurant supply store or something...

You can certainly do that but you will pay dearly.

Ikea has a less expensive version of the rack you are talking about. I looked at it but then decided on a laundry rack that has wire baskets for drawers. I can take the drawers out and move them anywhere I need to work with my soaps. And the whole unit was less than $40. They are stackable and pretty soon I plan to get another.

I have that baking rack! My husband saw it in a backyard when he was inspecting a home and asked if it was for sale. The man had lost his restaurant and the home was in foreclosure. The rack holds a ton of soap.

Mine cure in my soap making room along with a HUGE dehumidifier going all the time. I do cphp, so my soap cures for a lot less time. I just put the soap on cut up cardboard boxes and rotate them. I dont worry about different scents being next to eachother, I just dont let them touch eachother.

I cure mine on those stackable cookie cooking racks that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond. I have also seen the at Walmart. THere were 3 racks to a box with mine. I bought two and stacked them all up together! I have a closet in my laundry room and I put the in there until they are ready.

I've a second closet in my bedroom where crafty stuff, photo albums and leftover decorative items go. I have a shelf for my curing soaps.

The soaps are on small cookie racks which I then cover with needlepoint mesh to keep dust away.

Jude

wendybyrd said:
I really want to get one of those baker's racks that I used to see back when I was a cook that they use to proof dough in. Big tall unit with many shelves and a big removable tarp-like cover to maintain environmental conditions and keep the dust off. You could just open up the front flap for ventilation. On wheels, too, which is always handy. That would be PERFECT. Maybe I need to head down to a restaurant supply store or something...

I just got 12 for 160 bucks...and a lovely lady it was who helped me there. If you want to see a picture of them, let me know and i'll forward ti to you so you can decide?

Ok, then i'll probably put them in our storage room/walk in closet in cardboard boxes.

Would it be ok to put the unscented ones to cure in the bedroom?

Latest posts

Back