Where can I find Borax and Washing Soda locally?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1will

Reaction score
I'm in the Detroit area, not sure if that matters. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any chains or hardware stores carries these? Or what type of stores would be worthwhile checking.

I'm gonna follow this one since I'd like to know too. A1will, I'm also in the Detroit area!

I'm in the Detroit area, not sure if that matters. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any chains or hardware stores carries these? Or what type of stores would be worthwhile checking.

I'm in Virginia, so not sure if it's the same for you, but I can find them easily in the laundry section of my Wal-Mart. Usually next to the oddball stuff like laundry dye and starch.

Good luck.

I second Squyars as that is where I found mine and I am in Ohio. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I'm in the Detroit area too. Whereabouts are you? I'm in Dearborn :) I've been buying my borax and washing soda at Meijer for the past few years in the laundry section. I can sometimes find them at Kroger in the laundry section as well, but not all locations seem to carry them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using soapmaking

Detroitgirl77, I'm in Lake Orion. Nice to 'meet' you and know there are other Michiganders here :smile: I'm gonna try to get to Walmart, Meijer, or Kroger this week. I've wanted to try laundry soap but just never knew where to find Borax or washing soda.

make your own WS

SAM's CLUB BAKING SODA:
You can make your own washing soda by putting baking soda in the oven at 400 deg.F for an hour...it'll change to washing soda...check out soaping101 on youtube for her formal tutorial. Boric acid at bulk apothecary I think.
BKohlhase

I bought both at WalMart the other day. 20 Mule Team Borax and the washing soda is Arm and Hammer. They were on a bottom shelf and sitting side by side. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1384804076.207899.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1384804145.253978.jpg

Back