Where can I buy Palm oil and Coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good source for puchasing these 2 oils other than ordering online? I live in the southern California area. The shipping costs of a lot of these products are really getting prohibitive.
I found one person on the web suggesting that I try Walmart for the Coconut oil, but I haven't gotten over there yet...
js

You can buy small amounts of coconut oil in SOME walmarts (not any I've ever been to, though), and palm oil is sold in health food stores and Whole Foods (coconut might be as well tho it'll be expensive) under the brand name Spectrum. It's in tubs where you'd you find Crisco or the like - usually bottom shelf in the cooking oils area.

online, oilsbyanture.com or soapers choice or wsp(wholesale supplies), i have bought palm from natural strore, they called it shortening, but is 100 palm, I do buy my co from walmart, but it is only in the superwalmarts in the hispanic section.

Health food stores can help but fairly pricey. My grocery store has a decent oil selection. Good luck

I've found the Spectrum shortening (palm oil) in a local grocery store that caters to hispanics. It is in the hispanic section, not with the other oils, so you have to look in both places.

I get my coconut oil from walmart. 30 oz is a little over $5, much better then then $8 I was paying for 14oz at the local grocery store.

Does anyone know a good source for puchasing these 2 oils other than ordering online? I live in the southern California area. The shipping costs of a lot of these products are really getting prohibitive.
I found one person on the web suggesting that I try Walmart for the Coconut oil, but I haven't gotten over there yet...
js

Shipping is very expensive, but it's still cheaper per oz to buy in bulk online than it is to buy small quantities locally.

A moderator edited the message. The #3 was the reason so that's why she typed it in for an explanation.

Here are the the board rules --> http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f16/message-board-rules-13/

Don't worry about violating rules because they're not difficult to follow. If you do something minor, we either delete it, change it or would contact you to change it. However, we have stopped contacting people about violations of Supplier's or Member's ads (look in the sections for specific rules for ads). Now we just delete them without explanation because everyone's tired of people not reading the rules. The only thing which would get you banned is if you're spamming or trolling the board.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :grin:

You can buy small amounts of coconut oil in SOME walmarts (not any I've ever been to, though), and palm oil is sold in health food stores and Whole Foods (coconut might be as well tho it'll be expensive) under the brand name Spectrum. It's in tubs where you'd you find Crisco or the like - usually bottom shelf in the cooking oils area.

thank you, thank you, thank you for the tip on Whole Foods for palm oil! I had gone there before and didn't find it. However, this time I checked in the baking section and there it was! So happy that I don't have to order this online.

Using local merchants for supplies

I have just started in soaping and have been getting all of my oils and stuff from local merchants. Here is what I have found.

~Walmart ~
Coconut Oil - $5.98/30 oz (LoAna I think is the name). It's in the baking aisle near the Crisco
Olive Oil - $20 approx/101oz Same location as the Coconut oil
Castor Oil $2.98/6oz In the Pharmacy area, near the Miralax and digestive aids.
Distilled water - $.88/128 oz (1 gal)

~Lowes or another Hardware store~
Roebic Lye $20 approx/32 oz (2 lbs)

I can find some specialty oils at my Neighborhood Walmart (different from the Super-Centers) such as avocado, sweet almond and grapeseed which I have tried and do create really nice soaps.

I haven't even started buying in bulk yet, that is my next purchase from Brambleberry.com. I have found that they do have the best prices on most everything I want relating to oils. Their FO and EO are a bit pricey though.

Don't try getting your fragrances locally however unless you have a reputable New Age store that boasts having an apothecary shop. This means they will have cosmetic grade essential oils. At least I think it will. I used to do alot of incense making back in my younger years and my New Age shop had great oils but they weren't cosmetic grade. They told me they didn't have an apothecary shop. Made sense to me.:mrgreen:

lhaase, once you get a feel for ingredients that you will be using on a regular basis, you will be able to do much better on line for lye and oils even when shipping is taken into account. Essential Depot or AAA Chemicals for lye (I have gotten it for as little as $ 2-3 per lb. including shipping when there are sales) and Soapers' Choice for soaping oils. Of course if you need smaller quantities, Walmart and Costco and restaurant suppliers are great alternatives. Love the LouAnna if I run out of coconut oil and need it NOW!

Judy is spot-on, although I haven't found this to be the case with OO. I get that cheapest when I buy locally, although I am constantly running out.

Essential depot, the best bet is to not buy lye til there's a sale, and then buy a whole lot.

Best place for lye in the south.

Judy is spot-on, although I haven't found this to be the case with OO. I get that cheapest when I buy locally, although I am constantly running out.

Essential depot, the best bet is to not buy lye til there's a sale, and then buy a whole lot.

If you live in the southern region of the US a company called Duda Diesel is a great place to buy lye. I live in KY and they shipped my lye really cheap in just 2 days. It's located in Alabama so I'm sure anywhere down south could be reached in just a day or so. I get my oils from Soapers Choice, they are the best for everything but Olive Oil. GFS typically has the best prices in my area for olive oil.

Good Luck!!

If you live in the southern region of the US a company called Duda Diesel is a great place to buy lye. I live in KY and they shipped my lye really cheap in just 2 days. It's located in Alabama so I'm sure anywhere down south could be reached in just a day or so. I get my oils from Soapers Choice, they are the best for everything but Olive Oil. GFS typically has the best prices in my area for olive oil.

Good Luck!!

I looked at Duda diesel (although I am in NJ, but it was a really cheap deal!) but they only sell in big ol' buckets, least that's the case for the good prices. I like Essential Depot b/c they just give you a huge pile of 2lb bopttles, so there's no worries about storage and your lye slurping up a bunch of humidity on you.....

Still, if you're moving thru lye really quickly, those prices are really good at Duda.

Latest posts

Back