When To Add Fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adri71

Reaction score
I have about ten CP batches under my belt, all have turned out well so far. knock wood. I learned to add my essential oils/fragrance oils at trace but I recently watched a Soap Queen video where she had a guest soaper on who added her fragrances to her oils. This surprised Ann Marie, who did not go into detail about the pros and cons of why you should or should not add them at trace/to oils. Thoughts?

There are a few members here who add the fragrance up front. I think some people do it with finicky FO to help slow down acceleration or just so they don't forget to add it at all.

For what its worth, I don't have a set time to add fragrance. Sometimes I add it to oils, sometimes at emulsion, less often at trace.

I would say that 99.9% of the time I add my fragrance to my oils before adding my lye. No particular reason, I just have always done it that way. The only time I don't is when I make my 7 layer rainbow soap. Then I add my fragrance to each layer right before I pour.
I don’t really buy into the adage that putting the fo in the oils before hand helps with finicky fragrances. I think accelerators, seizers, ricers, etc, are all going to do that no matter what, you just have to be prepared for it.

I add my fo to my oils before lye as well. I just never saw the point in waiting until trace. A soapmaking friend of mine with a chemist husband says to wait until trace ... Something about volatile oils and burning off the scent, but honestly it never made sense, especially for the 39 seconds it takes me to mix my oils.

I add my fo to my oils before lye as well. I just never saw the point in waiting until trace. A soapmaking friend of mine with a chemist husband says to wait until trace ... Something about volatile oils and burning off the scent, but honestly it never made sense, especially for the 39 seconds it takes me to mix my oils.

Do you use more eo/fo to account for the fact that the scent will be diluted by the chemical process or just accept that the scent is lessened by this method? Or is it an issue for you?

Do you use more eo/fo to account for the fact that the scent will be diluted by the chemical process or just accept that the scent is lessened by this method? Or is it an issue for you?
I don't because it's simply not an issue. Like I said, the friends thoughts about burning off scent don't make sense, I haven't experienced it even when I used .5 oz PPO. I use 1.0 oz PPO to extend shelf life, not because I lose scent when making.

I don't because it's simply not an issue. Like I said, the friends thoughts about burning off scent don't make sense, I haven't experienced it even when I used .5 oz PPO. I use 1.0 oz PPO to extend shelf life, not because I lose scent when making.
I agree with this.
It sounds like the flashpoint argument. Which, btw, is my biggest pet peeve in the scented world.

Thank you for clarifying. I see what you're saying. I like a strongly fragranced soap.

Thank you for clarifying. I see what you're saying. I like a strongly fragranced soap.
Just keep in mind if you ever decide to start selling, that just because you like a strongly fragranced soap, not everyone else does.
But as said above, I find 1oz ppo is the max I will go with any scent, and with strong scents I typically drop that down because more is just not needed.

Some people add FO to the oils if the FO is known to accelerate trace. "Mixing your fragrance into your soaping oils before adding your lye solution will help dilute the fragrance and give you more control."
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/controlling-trace-in-cold-process-soapmaking/
I'm looking at the site and there are a couple of pics - one of Soapcalc and one from www.soapmaker.ca - do you know if the web link is valid - is there such a site anymore - it take me to a 'security check' with a link I'm not keen on clicking. Thanks,

I downloaded the Soapmake.ca and it looks like it will be a handy program to have. A question for those using it... how do you get the specific gravity number required when adding new additives, etc. Do you use the same number for all or do you specifically find it out for each ingredient? Thanks,

I had no idea Soapmaker3 had a free downloadable calculator! When did they make that available? I don't recall seeing it about 18 months ago. I was still considering possibly purchasing SM3 until SoapmakingFriend came along, so I haven't looked at the website in some time.

But I really do like the idea of a downloadable lye calculator because there have been a few times when I had poor or NO internet access (due to my traveling habits) and making soap without an online calculator was an issue I didn't really want to face. Yes, I know there are ways to calculate the old fashioned way, but I don't carry around a book explaining how it's done. I just carry around my computer and without internet access, I get lost. I never thought of downloading the instructions to a file. I did used to have an android version of some lye calculator on my phone in the past, but didn't really like it much.

But that is not on topic.

I almost always add FO to the oils in the main pot because I have forgotten to add it to so many batches when I left it to the last. It just helps me not to forget to add my fragrances.

Another trick that some people use is to put the FO inside the mold so they won't forget to add it before finishing the soap.

There have been times that adding to the oil didn't save me from having a problem with a finicky fragrance. Some fragrances need special handling, but that's a whole other thread.

Latest posts

Back