When not soaping ;-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcornett

Reaction score
I missed out on blackberry picking this year, so I was delighted to learn about the autumn olive. It's very abundant, packed with lycopene, and makes wonderful jelly :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Now I know it can't replace blackberry preserves...but it sure is a welcome addition to my collection. :wink:

It's probably not really an olive...I don't know though it's not native to the US. :?: And they taste pretty tart, sort of like a cranberry...but not. They are supposed to get sweeter after the first frost. I'm going to try to pick more then and make fruit leather with them. I read where one woman cuts it into small pieces and uses it on salads like craisons. ??? worth a try. :wink:

Interesting. I see that you're in Kentucky so maybe it's not hardy farther north. I'm interested in hearing how an after frost batch will turn out.

Maybe we ought to have a food swap...heh heh heh. :wink:

I could send buckeyes. :lol:

Thanks everybody! (and Hazel swapping, cooking, eating...I'm up for anything that involves food :D )

It would be fun to swap regional food items but I don't know how well some would ship. I'm not even sure I have a recipe for buckeyes anymore. They were time consuming to make but are very good, very rich candy. Although, I'm sure someone in my family would still have the recipe.

Maybe I'll just post the recipe. :lol:

LOL!!! Too funny! But boy if it weren't for shipping I could sure go for some food from PA (place of birth) I'd love some scrapple, or lebanon bologna...or maybe a big ole Italian Sub from Sammies. MMmmm! Thank goodness for the Amish store just across the state line, at least I can still get the occasional birch beer. LOL :D

Birch beer tastes kind of like root beer, been around longer than me (so it's OLD LOL) I guess it's one of those things that just takes you back...it's good stuff :)

Back