When fragrances gets discontined...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy
Reaction score
I was going to add a few reviews of Nurture soap fragrances in the fragrance chart, but just discovered to my horror, that once again one of my favourite fragrances from Nurture Soap has been discontinued.

The victim this time is Fresh Pear (amongst many others) that got the boot. I adore that fragrance to bits. I have to restrain myself from not using it more than I do.

It is a fragrance that can accelerate some, yes, but I find it still easy to work with since I know how to handle it after testing it in various recipes (bought the big size straight up after reading it was the same from Mad Oils)

The discoloration is absolutely negligent and nothing that can`t be aleviated with little bit of TD. Leave out the TD and you get perfect soft pear colored soap!

And people I gift them to love it, and it is ALWAYS (alwaysalwaysalwaysalways!!) picked first.

I am starting to feel I can`t really trust Nurture when it comes to fragrances. I get that sometimes things have to go! Totally get it! But they seem to add new ones all the time, and then discontinue other scents so frequent now, that I feel I can`t trust things staying around.

Because after ordering samples, and paying a lot of shipping, waiting for the order, testing the fragrance, curing the soap 6/8/12 weeks to see if it is a sticker, deciding to go for it. Then suddenly.. pffft. Gone. And having to start from scratch. AGAIN.

I am still working on my paperwork to be safety asessed, and have to get more funds to get this done. It also takes a lot of time to get everything together for each color, fragrance etc. It is such a huge task! That is also a part of the reason I get so annoyed. I have decided on fragrances and they just disapear.

I may just end up sticking with Nurture for the colors and use Natures Garden fragrances instead, as they seem more stable in keeping their stock, even the difficult ones that people complain about and rate low.

You who are selling - or anyone who wants to chime in of course, the more the marrier!:thumbs:

What do you all do when a fragrance is gone? Start over with a similar fragrance?

Most of you may not have to get safety asessed and therefore do not have to go through the nightmare of each step of this, sending in recipes and every single ingredient and get the whole mix approved, so if an ingredient gets discontinued you don`t have to get asessed again.

But still would like to hear about your experiences or input. Thanks!

I haven't seen news about Nurture fragrances, but I wonder if this has something to do with the citral shortage? Some companies such as BB and WSP (CC) issued statements that they would reformulating some fragrances affected by the shortage when supplies ran out, but some would be discontinued once the supplies ran out if a reformulation could not be done. At least that is how I understood their announcements. It could be in this case a temporary discontinue. I second Dixie's comment to contact them and ask.

I'd write them and ask. It's possible that it is something that will be available seasonally vs year round.

I did that a month ago, I was told in no uncertain terms that it will not be available again, otherwise that would be great.

I haven't seen news about Nurture fragrances, but I wonder if this has something to do with the citral shortage? Some companies such as BB and WSP (CC) issued statements that they would reformulating some fragrances affected by the shortage when supplies ran out, but some would be discontinued once the supplies ran out if a reformulation could not be done. At least that is how I understood their announcements. It could be in this case a temporary discontinue. I second Dixie's comment to contact them and ask.

No, it is not because of the citral shortage, I asked and they said it wasnt, it was discontinued because it was a slow seller and wanted to make room for other fragrances instead.

Also, Mad Oils are available in 2 oz and up sizes here:
https://arizona-mad-oils.com/

Including Grow a Pear Tree.

Thanks for the reminder. Because I actually tried ordering from them early last year, and after I had made log-in details and tried to order at that time, it was no shipping to Norway at all. I felt it was really wasted to having to making an account just to get that information (had to, because they didn`t answer my emails with my questions re. international shipping).

Seems they have changed their tune, because when I logged in now (after you gave me the link) the shipping was available. (albeit it is really expensive, doubble of what Natures Garden wants for a bottle... but I may just want to take that, at least to get my beloved Pear)

If you use enough of it I wonder if you can get them to order in bulk for you, but it is a large outlay of money most of the time, depending what their min bulk order is. I have certainly had to do that with some of mine

Thank you for your suggestion Carolyn. At this time however I think a small-timer like me that would be to much. But really great suggestion though, I will absolutely keep that in the back of my head if something should change in the future!

I did that a month ago, I was told in no uncertain terms that it will not be available again, otherwise that would be great.

I'm glad to hear they at least gave you clarity not to expect it again. That's tough news, but at least you know to move on (even if you'll still fantasize about it once in a while).

I've had this theory that I can't prove, yet it lingers. That is, I think there have been instances where popular fragrances have been discontinued under one name and marketed again under another. The motivation could be one or more particularly bad review related to things like acceleration or other undesired behavior, or even a foul scent interpretation by a small minority with different scent receptors. There are so many variables in soapmaking, including the soapmaker. The fragrance may also have wonderful reviews from die-hard fans, but if newer, bad reviews slow sales, they might have to give it a fresh start under a new name.

Like I said, I cannot prove this and it may be completely unfounded. One plausible alternative explanation is that my brain interprets the same scent with a different combination of ingredients. So I won't say what supplier or fragrances seeded my theory. And I won't try to give you false hope, MSH!

I'm glad to hear they at least gave you clarity not to expect it again. That's tough news, but at least you know to move on (even if you'll still fantasize about it once in a while).

I've had this theory that I can't prove, yet it lingers. That is, I think there have been instances where popular fragrances have been discontinued under one name and marketed again under another. The motivation could be one or more particularly bad review related to things like acceleration or other undesired behavior, or even a foul scent interpretation by a small minority with different scent receptors. There are so many variables in soapmaking, including the soapmaker. The fragrance may also have wonderful reviews from die-hard fans, but if newer, bad reviews slow sales, they might have to give it a fresh start under a new name.

Like I said, I cannot prove this and it may be completely unfounded. One plausible alternative explanation is that my brain interprets the same scent with a different combination of ingredients. So I won't say what supplier or fragrances seeded my theory. And I won't try to give you false hope, MSH!

Interesting theory, and sounds plausible to, who knows how they go about it. Good news is that, as I stated in my answers, that I can get my favourite via Mad Oils, that previously did not ship to Norway. Although the shipping is double of NG or Nurture, at least I can get it now, at some point, just have to plan ahead a bit more. 1 bottle of 16oz will cost me around $75, and that is the cheapest shipping option. Yup...

I am so envious at you americans, can order soapsuplies so easily and cheaply compared to us europeans. Treasure that, you have no idea how we struggle over here. No wonder there isn`t that many soapmakers over here...:hairpulling:

If you have a bit left perhaps you can have it reproduced for you at a lab. It totally disturbs me when a fragrance my clients love id discontinued. Bramble Berry does this a lot. I then must pay for work with and find a suitable replacement and then rename the soap with a new label. Good luck on your search.

$75! Aye yi yi! Even in Alaska I had some better options than that. My favorite was to visit the nearest fragrance supplier while I was on vacation in the lower 48 (once it was Bramble Berry!), and then pack the bottles in my checked luggage for my return flight. The FAA exempts a certain amount of "perfumes" from the otherwise hazardous rating. I realize that probably isn't a good option for you (and the same rules might not apply to international flights), but I mention it just in case.

Have you tried Gracefruit? They (or their sister company, I cant remember which) can make fragrances up for you and can copy exisiting ones. Might be worth getting it costed.

Latest posts

Back