What's the difference?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibi

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what is the difference between e-wax and bees wax....Are they interchangeable in body products? Does one work better than another in particular products? Anyone out there know?

Sibi

Thanks for the info carebear. So if beeswax doesn't emulsify what is it used for? I know I used some in a lip balm I made but I'm not sure why it was needed...

it's mostly used for hardness and for its high melting point.

you only need an emulsifier in systems with water (that's what an emulsifier does - allows oil and water to mix). the exception is in systems where water is expected to be introduced - for example, I use an emulsifier in my sugar scrub. The scrub itself contains no water, but the emulsifier helps it mix with the water in the shower to rinse away better and leave a bit of a lotiony feel to the skin.

carebear said:
it's mostly used for hardness and for its high melting point.

you only need an emulsifier in systems with water (that's what an emulsifier does - allows oil and water to mix). the exception is in systems where water is expected to be introduced - for example, I use an emulsifier in my sugar scrub. The scrub itself contains no water, but the emulsifier helps it mix with the water in the shower to rinse away better and leave a bit of a lotiony feel to the skin.

Thanks again carebear, I think I got it now. :D

Beeswax is considered a "co-emulsifier". That's why you see in it recipes with borax, another co-emulsifier. Of course, it's also for thickening and hardness.

beeswax

I have been making lotions for about 10 years now and use only beeswax as an emulsifier. I do not use borax. Beeswas works well

Back