What's the deal with expectations in soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use dyes or mica in my soap. I use the effects of Tumeric, paprika, and waiting til the last minute to add an oil, which I fold in. I get a variety of colors and opaque. Artistry and creativity can be anywhere.

I make "fancy designs" and fragrance oils, with micas/oxides, because my "natural" soaps do not sell. They sit there, sometimes for years, without ever even being picked up, so from a business prospective, it's not worth it for me to make natural soaps.

Fancy designs or no, even adding turmeric and oatmeal isn't "letting the soap have a life of it's own." That, to me, we be just the "chemical reaction of water and sodium Hydroxide."

As for why not just be happy with the results: if I made a batch of cookies and they turned out awful, I would not just be happy that there was a chemical reaction and eat them anyway. I would need to find or make a better recipe or find better ingredients for next time.

I make "fancy designs" and fragrance oils, with micas/oxides, because my "natural" soaps do not sell. They sit there, sometimes for years, without ever even being picked up, so from a business prospective, it's not worth it for me to make natural soaps.
Wonderful point. Extremly valid. Actually it's a very logical reason. I just personally enjoy seeing the natural morphology of the color I use. But if you can efficiently make fancy designs that's great! And yes it's also good for business.

Fancy designs or no, even adding turmeric and oatmeal isn't "letting the soap have a life of it's own." That, to me, we be just the "chemical reaction of water and sodium Hydroxide."

As for why not just be happy with the results: if I made a batch of cookies and they turned out awful, I would not just be happy that there was a chemical reaction and eat them anyway. I would need to find or make a better recipe or find better ingredients for next time.
Yes. However soaponofying is based on a chemical reaction. Which also adds to the character of the colors however everything depends on a good base recepie from cookie baking to bread making to soap making. When I said be happy with the results I meant the results of the effect of the sodium hydroxide on the color or additive being used.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the creative outlet is "soaping it'self" it's the whole process from mixing the lye and water to melting the oils to chealation to putting the sodium lactate and the scent in now I'm working on additives like colloidal oatmeal I did my first loaf a week ago can't wait to see what it lends to the soap. Before I started soaping I bought my lye with the intention of eventually soaping it sat for approx 3 yrs before I even touched it to make my first batch of olive oil soap. now I soap at least once a month or so. Or when the soaping bug hits me.
I bought a stick blender about 3 years before I started soaping thinking one day I will make soap!

For me the creative outlet is "soaping it'self" it's the whole process from mixing the lye and water to melting the oils to chealation to putting the sodium lactate and the scent in now I'm working on additives like colloidal oatmeal

This is still true for me too, after 3 years and probably hundreds of batches. Watching the transformation of oil, water and lye form soap batter is always just a little magical. But why not try separating out a bit of batter to color with one of your preferred additives and try a simple in the pot swirl in your next batch. It might just add a layer of creativity to the process, and that technique still doesn’t lend to expectations of the end result. Then you might gain a better understanding of why people love trying new things. It might not change your viewpoint, but might give some perspective into your original question.

This is still true for me too, after 3 years and probably hundreds of batches. Watching the transformation of oil, water and lye form soap batter is always just a little magical. But why not try separating out a bit of batter to color with one of your preferred additives and try a simple in the pot swirl in your next batch. It might just add a layer of creativity to the process, and that technique still doesn’t lend to expectations of the end result. Then you might gain a better understanding of why people love trying new things. It might not change your viewpoint, but might give some perspective into your original question.
That is a great point. Now if only I knew how to do an in the pot swirl. :) I know exactly what you mean. I did try layering once I fivided out 3 1 lb portions of batter and colored one red etc. I layered white red white. When I cut it it was an excellent discovery. Way unexpceted.

That is a great point. Now if only I knew how to do an in the pot swirl. :) I know exactly what you mean. I did try layering once I fivided out 3 1 lb portions of batter and colored one red etc. I layered white red white. When I cut it it was an excellent discovery. Way unexpceted.

Do it! Get your batter to emulsion and add your fragrance if you are using any. Split off a fourth or so, it doesn’t have to be uber exact, into another cup and add your colorant. Then pour that back into the big pot of batter in one or two spots, run a spatula around the big pot ONCE, no more than twice, and pour it all into your mold. If you are using a colorant that you mix with oil, you can hold out a bit of one of your batch oils and add it proportionately to each part of the batter. There are lots of YouTube videos to watch. It was the first swirl technique I tried and very swirl novice friendly. If you try it, please post your thoughts. And a picture if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
But why not let the soap take on a life of it's own and just be happy with the results that you get as a natural result of the wonderful chemical reaction of water and sodium Hydroxide.:D
Just for the record, and to avoid confusing the newbies, sodium hydroxide goes into solution with water, albeit with a great deal of enthusiasm, but there is no actual reaction between them. The water does not participate in the saponification reaction, but merely serves as a vehicle to bring the NaOH together with the triglycerides.

Do it! Get your batter to emulsion and add your fragrance if you are using any. Split off a fourth or so, it doesn’t have to be uber exact, into another cup and add your colorant. Then pour that back into the big pot of batter in one or two spots, run a spatula around the big pot ONCE, no more than twice, and pour it all into your mold. If you are using a colorant that you mix with oil, you can hold out a bit of one of your batch oils and add it proportionately to each part of the batter. There are lots of YouTube videos to watch. It was the first swirl technique I tried and very swirl novice friendly. If you try it, please post your thoughts. And a picture if you are so inclined.

Off Topic: I just accidentally discovered how to quote 2 people at once! How many years have I been on this forum...??:p

The itp swirl was one of the last things I tried to learn - because arrogant 'ole me thought it was too easy and boring.

I hate the itp swirl. I still can't do it right; I have to cheat. I've done/copied all the techniques and I still. have. to. cheat. How? I don't use all of the colored batter that you pour in puddles in the base. I leave some to "replenish the base that's left at the bottom after pouring into the mold - otherwise I have too much mostly white base color left to pour.

Just an fyi; I don't like wispy swirls that almost disappear into the base color, I like more definition so I go to trace to get it. However, my recipe is a slow mover that gives me enough time to dilly dally around.

I will try it once I get my soaping space back right now it's being improved :)

I'm just beginning to make bars of soap, after making liquid soap for about 2 years (and some stain remover sticks, which I guess is a bar soap).. When I started making cleaning products, I had no intention of ever making body care - I have so many friends that make amazing work! BUT... for fun, I started reading more about the process, and the oils... and now, I want to make ALL the soap, lol!! Fancy, plain, and everywhere in between!!

I've been an artisan for years, jumping from one craft to the next... until I found this venue of unending possibilities- that's exactly why I would want to learn to make fancy soap - literally ENDLESS fun and creativity!

I'm just beginning to make bars of soap, after making liquid soap for about 2 years (and some stain remover sticks, which I guess is a bar soap).. When I started making cleaning products, I had no intention of ever making body care - I have so many friends that make amazing work! BUT... for fun, I started reading more about the process, and the oils... and now, I want to make ALL the soap, lol!! Fancy, plain, and everywhere in between!!

I've been an artisan for years, jumping from one craft to the next... until I found this venue of unending possibilities- that's exactly why I would want to learn to make fancy soap - literally ENDLESS fun and creativity!
Sounds like fun...however my Initial focus was to make "functional soaps" and or medicinal soaps. And single oil soaps like olive oil. I've made saline soap salt soap pine tar soap I've also learned alot about how to improve the soap like supporting additives to help improve soap hardness etc how to chealate etc. So now I have the basics down that's why I'm moving on to adding some additives. Etc. Wanted a good foundation before I go "haywire" with the fancy designes and all. Also because I make kombucha I am now looking into making kombucha soap as well.

Just for the record, and to avoid confusing the newbies, sodium hydroxide goes into solution with water, albeit with a great deal of enthusiasm, but there is no actual reaction between them. The water does not participate in the saponification reaction, but merely serves as a vehicle to bring the NaOH together with the triglycerides.
However there is a reaction when. The sodium hydroxide is intoducted to the water it heats up making what's called an exothermic reaction. It heats up when. The water or liquid meets the sodium hydroxide to about 200 degrees or so. However that's assuming you are starting at room temperature with the water.

I have compared soapmaking to making a car out of a box of raisins. People look at you and say "You MADE that?" and that is how I look at designing soaps. If I can picture something in my head and get my soap to come out kind of sort of how I pictured it I am stoked. But not everyone wants to drive a car made out of raisins, so make your soaps how you want them.

I have compared soapmaking to making a car out of a box of raisins. People look at you and say "You MADE that?" and that is how I look at designing soaps. If I can picture something in my head and get my soap to come out kind of sort of how I pictured it I am stoked. But not everyone wants to drive a car made out of raisins, so make your soaps how you want them.
That's a very creative analogy. I have a phylosophy. I make soap I want to use cause I little to no customer base so when. I offer it to the public there is no expectations of selling it. I figure who ever wants any will speak up and better do so before I use it all.

I've only been soaps since last August and it's been a wonderful journey. I've made over 100+ bars and have just now started using additives such as activated charcoal and recently colloidal oatmeal. and have been experimenting with natural color options such as tumeric etc. I know people want to make fancy designes etc. But why not let the soap take on a life of it's own and just be happy with the results that you get as a natural result of the wonderful chemical reaction of water and sodium Hydroxide.:D
Because some just like to do different things. And like you, start to add things to their soap. Some do pretty, some plain, some simple and some complex.
btw, it is the OILS and sodium hydroxide, not the water.

Because some just like to do different things. And like you, start to add things to their soap. Some do pretty, some plain, some simple and some complex.
btw, it is the OILS and sodium hydroxide, not the water.
Yes however for cold process soap it is acctually the water and the hydroxide that initially create the heat then are intoduced to react with the oils.

I don't use dyes or mica in my soap. I use the effects of Tumeric, paprika, and waiting til the last minute to add an oil, which I fold in. I get a variety of colors and opaque. Artistry and creativity can be anywhere.
I like using tumeric haven't though about paprika though

Yes however for cold process soap it is acctually the water and the hydroxide that initially create the heat then are intoduced to react with the oils.
Nope, my lye mixture is room temperature. No heat to it when I use it.
He did not say that he heated the lye, he said that the lye became heated when made it.
Perhaps you make your lye ahead of time, so it's at room temperature when you use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back