What's the deal with expectations in soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrurunaturals

Reaction score
I've only been soaps since last August and it's been a wonderful journey. I've made over 100+ bars and have just now started using additives such as activated charcoal and recently colloidal oatmeal. and have been experimenting with natural color options such as tumeric etc. I know people want to make fancy designes etc. But why not let the soap take on a life of it's own and just be happy with the results that you get as a natural result of the wonderful chemical reaction of water and sodium Hydroxide.:D

Because it's a wonderful creative outlet? Plus, even with artistic input, it still has a life of it's own, and that is really fun to see each time.
Yes ..guess that makes sense however I like seeing the colors morph and change without a template or an expectation of what or how it will take shape.

Yes ..guess that makes sense however I like seeing the colors morph and change without a template or an expectation of what or how it will take shape.
That is why there are so many wonderfully unique soaps in the world. Because each soaper brings their own style. How boring would it be if they were all alike?

Maybe for the same reason you decided to start playing with a little color and additives. It’s fun to try a new technique, and when something difficult to do turns out well, it is satisfying. Most of the time the results are still the soap doing what it will. Personally, I don’t think I will ever do cupcake soaps or fancy piping as that isn’t my thing. I doubt I would buy one either. But I can totally understand why someone would want to make or buy them. Everyone likes different things. I like plain soaps very much, but don’t make them often because I love playing with design. And as was already mentioned, cutting a loaf and seeing what is inside is incredibly fun. Or sometimes heartbreaking.

I think even if you try to make fancy designs the soap still will take on life on its own. There is only so much you can control when you pour the batter. And in the end the soap will do what it wants to do, you can only nudge it so much to the direction you want.

I think even if you try to make fancy designs the soap still will take on life on its own. There is only so much you can control when you pour the batter. And in the end the soap will do what it wants to do, you can only nudge it so much to the direction you want.
Yes this is true and has always been my phylosophy.

Because I like pretty soap and I alway anticipate what it’s going to look like when I cut it. Plus my customers pick pretty colors that smell good over plain Jane soap.

And because it’s therapeutic to me to play with colors and designs.
Seems u have quite the customer base. so far my customers have loved my lillac soap. With a hint of purple coloror morphing. Well my customer base is like 2 people lol

Why make fancy designs you ask ?
Because I can and I like the idea that I can manipulate the soap to a design I have worked out in my head, then, when it has worked out, I'm happy.
Yes because you are good at what you do that's why you can:)

Last edited by a moderator:
ulrurunaturals would you like to go to the Introduction section as you are new and tell us a bit about yourself and why you got into soaping.

ulrurunaturals would you like to go to the Introduction section as you are new and tell us a bit about yourself and why you got into soaping.

Sure I made this thread cause I really love to see the soap form a life of it's own. That's why I dont plan .colors I do solid colors love watching the morph.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first researched soaping my plan was to use mostly natural colours of the soap with just maybe a hint of colour on top. I quickly discovered that design and colours in soap were a creative outlet for me that I was missing in my life. I like people to enjoy the look, the smell and the feel of my soap.

When I first researched soaping my plan was to use mostly natural colours of the soap with just maybe a hint of colour on top. I quickly discovered that design and colours in soap were a creative outlet for me that I was missing in my life. I like people to enjoy the look, the smell and the feel of my soap.

So much this.

I've been a crafter for a VERY long time. I'm finding that with soap, there's never an end to the creativity. I can reproduce a soap with ease but when I want to try something different, there are so many techniques that it never gets boring. With the monthly challenges here, you're always learning something new and that's appealing, too.

Even some of my customers, to whom I've explained that some soaps are very limited edition because they're part of a soap challenge, have said they want to be the first to see what I come up with in the challenges because those are some of the most creative soaps they've ever seen.

So much this.

I've been a crafter for a VERY long time. I'm finding that with soap, there's never an end to the creativity. I can reproduce a soap with ease but when I want to try something different, there are so many techniques that it never gets boring. With the monthly challenges here, you're always learning something new and that's appealing, too.

Even some of my customers, to whom I've explained that some soaps are very limited edition because they're part of a soap challenge, have said they want to be the first to see what I come up with in the challenges because those are some of the most creative soaps they've ever seen.
Yes! I also have customers who message me in the mornings just to find out what soap and design I made the night before and asking to see pictures. Sometimes they ask questions about how I came up with the design or idea and I love talking about soap so its a win win

For me the creative outlet is "soaping it'self" it's the whole process from mixing the lye and water to melting the oils to chealation to putting the sodium lactate and the scent in now I'm working on additives like colloidal oatmeal I did my first loaf a week ago can't wait to see what it lends to the soap. Before I started soaping I bought my lye with the intention of eventually soaping it sat for approx 3 yrs before I even touched it to make my first batch of olive oil soap. now I soap at least once a month or so. Or when the soaping bug hits me.

For me the creative outlet is "soaping it'self" it's the whole process from mixing the lye and water to melting the oils to chealation to putting the sodium lactate and the scent in now I'm working on additives like colloidal oatmeal I did my first loaf a week ago can't wait to see what it lends to the soap. Before I started soaping I bought my lye with the intention of eventually soaping it sat for approx 3 yrs before I even touched it to make my first batch of olive oil soap. now I soap at least once a month or so. Or when the soaping bug hits me.
Oh, yeah! The process is definitely a motivator! I'm frequently trying new ideas, but I am also interested in how to more attractive bars! Even the bars I make for myself, it just says something more when there's craftmanship involved. The way the bars look brings another smile to one's face. :)

If I didn’t play with fragrance and colors or techniques, soaping would just be another chore. I get excited when I go through my fragrances and then decide on colors and design. I don’t do high tops nor do I add botanicals except to infuse. I do use beer, coffee and milks. I add charcoal, oatmeal and the occasional clay. 8 years and I still enjoy doing it.

Oh, yeah! The process is definitely a motivator! I'm frequently trying new ideas, but I am also interested in how to more attractive bars! Even the bars I make for myself, it just says something more when there's craftmanship involved. The way the bars look brings another smile to one's face. :)
Yes guess that's a valid point. I tried a raw version .Of a color layer a couple of years ago. It was red and white. I call it my Christmas soap. I put about 7 essential oils in it. It made about 5 pounds of soap. My first attempt at a larger batch more complex soap. Everyone loved and it wss my first time using hydrogenated palm kernal oil. Istill have remnants of what I made. I forgot about that soap lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back