what's a sample size?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evergreen

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you do for sample bars? What size and weight? My bars are 4-5oz each. My husband wants to give samples of my soaps to coworkers. What's the best way to deal with samples?

i make a few oz over what i need and then pour them into the little fun shaped ice cube trays. they are cute guest soaps and easy to take along in your purse for samples.

I give lots of samples out to potential customers. I keep a cutting board and taper/scraper thingy at my table and cut off slices about 1cm thick. It weighs about 14g, roughly .5 ounce. I let the customer select their favorite and slice the soap, slipping it in a little midget glassine bag 2 x 3.5, along with a business card. It's interactive, allows for dialogue with the customer and gives them something to hold, sniff and my card is right there.

Edited to add - each bag is less than 2 pennies, another penny or so for my card and my average bar of unwrapped soap weighing 4.3 oz cost me around .55 to .68 to make, I get 8 or 9 slices per bar, making the samples cost a whopping .09 cents.

I made my own mold just for making samples. My bars come out at 1.5 T, 2.25 W, and about 3/8" thick and weigh about .5 oz. My mold makes about 50 bars at a time.

Bruce

Deda said:
I give lots of samples out to potential customers. I keep a cutting board and taper/scraper thingy at my table and cut off slices about 1cm thick. It weighs about 14g, roughly .5 ounce. I let the customer select their favorite and slice the soap, slipping it in a little midget glassine bag 2 x 3.5, along with a business card. It's interactive, allows for dialogue with the customer and gives them something to hold, sniff and my card is right there.

Edited to add - each bag is less than 2 pennies, another penny or so for my card and my average bar of unwrapped soap weighing 4.3 oz cost me around .55 to .68 to make, I get 8 or 9 slices per bar, making the samples cost a whopping .09 cents.

This is awesome. I would be in heaven at a soap shop were you could get a sample! Very, very good idea. So that even if you don't make a sale someone walks away with a good feeling about you, a kind of soap that maybe they've never tried and all of your info. (we need a thumbs up emoticon) :D

We sell samples on and make custom orders for people. My wife takes a 8 by8 pan and rub ky in it then poor a thin layer. Once dried peel up and use a pizza rollers to cut small squares.
Therefore enough to wash hands but only work a couple times before they disappear. Be careful if there to big people will just use you samples.

What great suggestions, everyone! Thanks so much. The samples are going into work on Monday.

epowers777 said:
My wife takes a 8 by8 pan and rub ky in it then poor a thin layer. Once dried peel up and use a pizza rollers to cut small squares.
Therefore
As in personal lubricant? Buying in bulk must raise some eyebrows.
Does it go on your ingredient list?

I use Vaseline to coat the pan actually. No, I don't put that in the ingredient list, because all it does is keep it from sticking to the pan.

I cut a 4.5 ounce bar into 3 pieces. So a bar that is 3.5" wide X 2.5" tall and 1" thick becomes ~1" X 1" X 2.5". I wrap them with a piece of paper and use a stamp with my contact info. I think it works out pretty nice.

epowers777 said:
I use Vaseline to coat the pan actually. No, I don't put that in the ingredient list, because all it does is keep it from sticking to the pan.
I was kidding. "Processing aids" don't need to be listed as long as the presence in the finished product is at a low level. Don't know the details of the law, though.

Whoops sorry not ky..... vasoline glad my wife caught that. It been a LONG day! 12Hr work day I work on locomotives.
Again I'm sorry.lol

Latest posts

Back