What Would Cause This?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Tyler

Reaction score
First time I've ever had this happen. What is the likely culprit? Thanks for your assistance!

IMG_20240119_095411.jpg

It looks like you had a lot of bubbles in your batter. Did you stick blend it? Sometimes you can unintentionally incorporate air bubbles into your soap. Also, how thick was it when you poured it? If your batter had bubbles and was was a a thick trace, it'd be nearly impossible to get those bubbles out. (With a thinner batter, you can bang the soap mold onto the table after you've poured and get some of those air bubbles up to the top and out of your soap.)

I did stick blend, as usual, and I burped the blender. I didn't do anything differently than I normally do. I poured at a light to medium trace. I did forget to turn the oven off for maybe 10-15 minutes after the soap went in but other than that, I followed the same process I always do. Thanks for your help!

Just for reference, this is what the bars look like.

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_150721__01.jpg
    IMG_20240119_150721__01.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Those are simply beautiful. I just got a pull-through kit, I know it is going to take me countless batches to try and emulate something like that.

Was that from a silicone mold? Sometimes silicone rash (from the mold) can look like that.

ETA: Had to edit because I looked at your soaps again and was re-wowed by how perfect they are.

Those are simply beautiful. I just got a pull-through kit, I know it is going to take me countless batches to try and emulate something like that.

Was that from a silicone mold? Sometimes silicone rash (from the mold) can look like that.

ETA: Had to edit because I looked at your soaps again and was re-wowed by how perfect they are.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I'm using the silicone column molds.

After doing some reading here, it looks like I got the rash from leaving the oven on and the soap getting too hot. Lesson learned. Thanks for the assistance and kind words from everyone! Have a great weekend.
I have to say, even though I know it's silicone rash, it's looks kind of cool. And I agree with the others... your soap is gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back