What type of a container do you use to mix your water (liquid) and lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akseattle

Reaction score
I just read the Rules for this forum. Most seemed like common rules of civility, but the Culture Thread was unique to this site.
It cautioned to be aware of "hot topics." Topic #4 was the use of "pyrex or other glass containers" for mixing the lye & water solution. I'm so super bummed. When I was thinking of making cold process soap and was on the look out for my materials, at the thrift store I found a beautiful stainless steel Brazilian pot. It is the perfect size for melting the oils for my small batches. I also found the most beautiful heavy duty thick glass mixing bowl with a small spout (about 1.5 quarts). It sits perfectly in my Brazilian pot when being put away for the next use.
Even though I'm pretty new, I'm already really attached to my Brazilian pot and glass spouted bowl. I'd really like to replace my glass spouted bowl with something equally enduring.
The rest of my soaping stuff is just stuff. But, I really love these two containers.
I searched threads on this site and there have been many discussions, many people seem to use fairly inexpensive, disposable plastic containers. I really don't want a throw away container.
I don't even like heating spaghetti up in plastic tupperware. After a few uses, the acid from the tomato sauce has eaten into the plastic. It's scored, scarred, and it doesn't come clean.
What do others use? I only make small batches of soap (13 oz), so, I don't need anything too big (right now I combine my oils & lye water in my glass bowl, not in my stainless steel pot.
On the internet, it many say you can use "plastic, glass or stainless steel." So, we know glass is really not okay. (Even though about half of the tutorials I watch are mixing their lye water in glass pyrex measuring cups...)
So, is stainless steel okay? Is there a really long lasting, enduring plastic measuring cup made that anyone is using?

I just use a plastic ice cream container to mix water and lye, never go near glass in case it will explode, don't take chances. The plastic works fine for me, I also use a plastic bucket to mix the oils and then add the lye mix to. There are many types of stainless available, unless you know the one you have is not going to react with the lye I'd stick with plastic..

many people seem to use fairly inexpensive, disposable plastic containers. I really don't want a throw away container.

But, you don't throw it away after. I use a plastic (#5) container with a lid that I think take-out soup came in. It is clear-ish. It has a lid, in case I want extra safety. I have reused it many times. And, most towns collect #5 for recycling.

I am also a hobby soaper. I make 16-32 oz batches and this container is the perfect size for the lye solution for small batches.

Currently, I use a plastic Rubbermaid container to mix my lye and water. I do use glass when separating my batter for coloring.

I use plastic 2 and plastic 5 containers. Some are measuring cups and some are lidded containers. After 1 year, they're still soaping with me. Lighter to carry since I have weak wrists. I soap small 500g batches so a 1L measuring cup and some 500ml cups works for me. I scoop my lye with either a plastic or stainless steel spoon.

No glass at all for my soaping.

The concerns you've raised about finding the right materials for cold process soap making are very common in the soap making community. It's great that you're thinking critically about the tools you use, especially in terms of safety and longevity. Let's address your questions about materials, particularly focusing on the mixing of lye water, which is a crucial step in the soap making process.

• Stainless Steel
Your beautiful stainless steel Brazilian pot is actually a great choice for soap making, especially for melting the oils. Stainless steel is safe to use with lye solutions. It's durable, doesn't react with the lye, and can withstand the caustic nature of lye water without degrading. Many soap makers prefer stainless steel for mixing lye and water because it's easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. The key is to ensure it's real stainless steel and not a metal that's coated with a different material that might react with lye.

• Why Not Glass
The issue with glass, especially for mixing lye, is that it can etch over time due to the caustic nature of lye. This etching can weaken the glass, making it more susceptible to breaking without warning. It's particularly risky with hot lye water, as the thermal shock can also cause glass to break. While it might seem durable and is used in many tutorials, the risk of sudden breakage poses a safety hazard, which is why it's discouraged.

• High-Quality Plastic
For those who prefer not to use stainless steel or are looking for a container specifically for measuring or mixing smaller quantities, certain types of plastic are safe to use. You'll want to look for plastic that's marked as **#5 PP (polypropylene)**. This type of plastic is durable, resistant to chemical corrosion, and can withstand the temperature of lye solutions without degrading. It's a common choice for professional soap makers who require reliable and safe containers for lye mixing. High-quality polypropylene containers are not "throwaway" items; they're designed for long-term use and can endure the harsh conditions of soap making.

• What to Look For
When looking for a plastic container for mixing lye:
- Ensure it's made from **#5 PP (polypropylene)**.
- Choose a container that's sturdy, has a good handle (if you prefer), and ideally, one that offers precise measurements if you're mixing directly in it.
- It should be explicitly stated as chemical-resistant and suitable for high temperatures.

Considering your aesthetic preferences and the quality of your current equipment, I recommend looking into a high-quality stainless steel measuring cup with a spout for mixing your lye and water. This would match your Brazilian pot in terms of durability and aesthetics, and it's perfectly safe for soap making. If you prefer plastic, make sure to find a high-quality polypropylene container that meets your size and durability needs. It might not have the same aesthetic appeal as your glass bowl, but it will be safe and enduring for your soap making process.

I just read the Rules for this forum. Most seemed like common rules of civility, but the Culture Thread was unique to this site.
It cautioned to be aware of "hot topics." Topic #4 was the use of "pyrex or other glass containers" for mixing the lye & water solution. I'm so super bummed. When I was thinking of making cold process soap and was on the look out for my materials, at the thrift store I found a beautiful stainless steel Brazilian pot. It is the perfect size for melting the oils for my small batches. I also found the most beautiful heavy duty thick glass mixing bowl with a small spout (about 1.5 quarts). It sits perfectly in my Brazilian pot when being put away for the next use.
Even though I'm pretty new, I'm already really attached to my Brazilian pot and glass spouted bowl. I'd really like to replace my glass spouted bowl with something equally enduring.
The rest of my soaping stuff is just stuff. But, I really love these two containers.
I searched threads on this site and there have been many discussions, many people seem to use fairly inexpensive, disposable plastic containers. I really don't want a throw away container.
I don't even like heating spaghetti up in plastic tupperware. After a few uses, the acid from the tomato sauce has eaten into the plastic. It's scored, scarred, and it doesn't come clean.
What do others use? I only make small batches of soap (13 oz), so, I don't need anything too big (right now I combine my oils & lye water in my glass bowl, not in my stainless steel pot.
On the internet, it many say you can use "plastic, glass or stainless steel." So, we know glass is really not okay. (Even though about half of the tutorials I watch are mixing their lye water in glass pyrex measuring cups...)
So, is stainless steel okay? Is there a really long lasting, enduring plastic measuring cup made that anyone is using?
I use juice mixing pitchers that I buy at the Dollar Store. #5 plastic is the key. These are not disposable. I mix my lye in them, wash them out, repeat. The ones I currently use I have had for over three years. The minute I read about the issues with Pyrex, etc., I stopped using them. True or not - I simply did not want to take the chance.

The concerns you've raised about finding the right materials for cold process soap making are very common in the soap making community. It's great that you're thinking critically about the tools you use, especially in terms of safety and longevity. Let's address your questions about materials, particularly focusing on the mixing of lye water, which is a crucial step in the soap making process.

• Stainless Steel
Your beautiful stainless steel Brazilian pot is actually a great choice for soap making, especially for melting the oils. Stainless steel is safe to use with lye solutions. It's durable, doesn't react with the lye, and can withstand the caustic nature of lye water without degrading. Many soap makers prefer stainless steel for mixing lye and water because it's easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. The key is to ensure it's real stainless steel and not a metal that's coated with a different material that might react with lye.

• Why Not Glass
The issue with glass, especially for mixing lye, is that it can etch over time due to the caustic nature of lye. This etching can weaken the glass, making it more susceptible to breaking without warning. It's particularly risky with hot lye water, as the thermal shock can also cause glass to break. While it might seem durable and is used in many tutorials, the risk of sudden breakage poses a safety hazard, which is why it's discouraged.

• High-Quality Plastic
For those who prefer not to use stainless steel or are looking for a container specifically for measuring or mixing smaller quantities, certain types of plastic are safe to use. You'll want to look for plastic that's marked as **#5 PP (polypropylene)**. This type of plastic is durable, resistant to chemical corrosion, and can withstand the temperature of lye solutions without degrading. It's a common choice for professional soap makers who require reliable and safe containers for lye mixing. High-quality polypropylene containers are not "throwaway" items; they're designed for long-term use and can endure the harsh conditions of soap making.

• What to Look For
When looking for a plastic container for mixing lye:
- Ensure it's made from **#5 PP (polypropylene)**.
- Choose a container that's sturdy, has a good handle (if you prefer), and ideally, one that offers precise measurements if you're mixing directly in it.
- It should be explicitly stated as chemical-resistant and suitable for high temperatures.

Considering your aesthetic preferences and the quality of your current equipment, I recommend looking into a high-quality stainless steel measuring cup with a spout for mixing your lye and water. This would match your Brazilian pot in terms of durability and aesthetics, and it's perfectly safe for soap making. If you prefer plastic, make sure to find a high-quality polypropylene container that meets your size and durability needs. It might not have the same aesthetic appeal as your glass bowl, but it will be safe and enduring for your soap making process.
Thank you everyone for your input, and for putting up with my whining about giving up my glass mixing bowl. ...
But, I am over it!!
In fact, I'm already celebrating the lightweight nature of my new (well, new to me) equipment!
I went to the thrift store today and found the perfect sized plastic pitcher with handle for my small batches. It doesn't say PP anywhere but it has a 5 in a triangle on the bottom. It says "Made in China." So, who knows. I like that it's wide like a bowl, so that fumes can diffuse a little easier. I also found a nice little 20 oz Krups frothing pitcher, which says its stainless steel. Proportionately, it's more wide mouthed than the average frothing pitcher. So, I'll see which I like better. Each were only 99 cents!! I can't wait to try them out! Onward to safety!!

Attachments

• Two'lye'cups'for'soapmaking.jpg
    Two'lye'cups'for'soapmaking.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0
I have used the same Rubbermaid pitchers over 11 yrs for my lye.

I will mention that over time I have had stainless steel pots and bowls pit over time that I have used for shaping. So I prefer to stick with plastic.

I look forward to making soap long enough that my stainless steel frother and plastic cup bowl get all potted and funky! Eleven years sounds good to me! That will mean I've been enjoying this hobby for a long time ;) Plus, I'm amassing equipment and supplies at a pretty furious rate ... I'll have a boat load of stuff to get rid of if I abandon this hobby too soon!

Back