What to mix lye in if not plastic?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meldoesasoapy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been soaping for a couple years now, always mixing my lye solution in glass (always been fine). Recently decided to stop with the Russian roulette and use #5 plastic instead as people recommend.

Attached are pictures of what it did to the container... how is this better than glass that's never broken?? Is this not the right type of plastic?

It was 2.22 oz of lye and 4.44 oz of breast milk.

Attachments

• 20230627_133813.jpg
    20230627_133813.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230627_133823.jpg
    20230627_133823.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I use number 5 plastic and it's fine. You do get some 'etchings' over time - not unlike when you use plastic contains for reheating food in the microwave. I don't think it's a concern.
Incidentally is that scrubbed clean? Or just after the solution is poured out?
This is after it's been cleaned and dried, and only after 1 use. I kinda get the feeling it wasn't a true #5 because I just tried it on another 5 plastic jug and it didn't do that at all. And I think it was more than just an etching, because it was eating through the plastic. Is 05 different than just 5?

The quick look I've had online would suggest that 05 is the same as 5.

#5 PP – Polypropylene​

PP is a tough and lightweight plastic, that is known for its excellent heat resistance, which makes it popular to use in takeaway shops. Additionally, it is considered safe for continued reuse as it’s unlikely to leach chemicals and break down over time.

It’s a durable plastic with many uses and many kerbside collections have started accepting PP to be recycled. We even use 50-80% post-consumer recycled materials in our Method bins.

Common products that use PP:

• Takeaway containers
  • Margarine and yogurt containers
  • Straws
  • Ice cream tubs

There are only 7 possible numbers in the recycling logo. Your choice is either 5 or they put an undefined number in a recycling logo. That seems unlikely.

That there is also “PP” which corresponds to 5 says to me that is in fact a type 5 plastic. That’s a long winded way to say I agree with Kiwi :)

I also had that unwashable crust form on plastic I used in soap making. I took a wire scrub brush with every solvent/cleaner I could find in our house, and could not scrub the crust away.

I ended up using an old Indian take out container for my next batch and it worked very well🤣 sometimes it's the simple things I guess. @NewlyCreative that's interesting about the unwashable crust! This was definitely more like melted plastic, I think it was just poorly made or lined with something meltable.

Hey guys,

I've been soaping for a couple years now, always mixing my lye solution in glass (always been fine). Recently decided to stop with the Russian roulette and use #5 plastic instead as people recommend.

Attached are pictures of what it did to the container... how is this better than glass that's never broken?? Is this not the right type of plastic?

It was 2.22 oz of lye and 4.44 oz of breast milk.

It appears to simply be etching. Don’t forget that lye etches glass too - it may not be quite as apparent but it does. I have been using #5 plastic for some time now with no adverse effects.

I'm with you. :thumbs: I also use glass. I like being able to see the contents. When I tried #5 plastic it melted /warped too! Ugh. Due to a long-standing gag-order that has since been lifted, many experienced SMF members like myself tend to remain mute when the subject is discussed.

My advice
If you want to use plastic; go for it.
If you want to continue using glass; do so, just don't mention it here. ;)

Seeing this topic again made me curious about my paint mixing buckets and the plastic funnel pitchers I have, which, incidentally, I chose going off visuals of watching YouTube soaping videos. My paint mixing buckets (which I have already posted pics of in the past) are actually #2 HDPE plastic. I bought a 12 pack thinking I would be making way more soap and over a year later I am still using the same 2 buckets from the stack with no scarring/etching issues. I did crack a rim while <vigorously> hand washing but that's a "me" issue, not a chemical issue.
My funnel pitchers don't have a stamp on them so it was probably on the labels, which I removed, but they say, per the manufacturer (NORPRO), safe for temps up to 320°(Pic below with their descriptive). I have mixed lye solution (milk & lye; I also always freeze my liquids) in those with no scarring/etching issues also, but I'd rather use the painter's buckets because they are roomier, easier to stir in. The funnels are quite tight, not very big around so I use them for dividing batter or for pouring into cavity molds. Again, their purpose was chosen due to size & shape, not scarring/ etching.
I'm sure you will find your comfort zone ~ if you would like pics of my buckets, just message me and I will post them 👍🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629-062640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629-062640_Chrome.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back