What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hung up a second soap rack and cut my first soap I made with an Oregon companies fragrance.
I found them while doing my oil scouting. Finally got to test the fragrance I picked up @ Shay and company Really great selection and customer service. Their fragrance bottle for "Brazilian Mango" was labeled correctly. Finally got to cut the soap today and I'm impressed. Soaped beautifully, smells great.
Will be trying more of their scents. Will add pics tomorrow. 💓

Today I am making soap with duck fat. It is a special gift for friends who have an outrageous rubber ducky collection in their bathroom. There must be 200 of them in there! I found the duck fat at Whole Foods. As far as fats go, the price is high on a per ounce basis for soap, but perfectly acceptable for a special gift. The profile for pure duck fat is interesting.
IMG_5047.png

I created a recipe, adding only coconut oil and castor oil, which will create a fatty acid profile that looks pretty good.
IMG_5050.png

I’m planning to scent it with Coconut Lemongrass from BeScented. Not sure if the coconut will hold in CP soap. Do I need to add something else in there so the fragrance sticks for a year?

Made three batches of soap yesterday and cut them today to reveal they are blundered messes. I guess I was due a soaping error as I've had it a little too good for this long lol.

On the bright side, it's not a lye issue so maybe these will at least still be usable in some way. 🤞

Made three batches of soap yesterday and cut them today to reveal they are blundered messes. I guess I was due a soaping error as I've had it a little too good for this long lol.

On the bright side, it's not a lye issue so maybe these will at least still be usable in some way. 🤞
I'm sure it will be ok ~ ugly soap is still soap!

I unmolded my first cube bars. I rushed the stamping a bit, and it made the stamp a bit blurry, but I'm in love with these.
This is a classic 72% recipe (olive pomace 72%, palm 14%, coconut 14%, made with @Zany_in_CO 's 'faux sea water' brine and some madder root for color).
I got the stamp from a guy called Ray at 'printed by Ray' on Etsy.

Attachments

• savon.jpg
    savon.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 0
I love the color and the stamp, @Jorah.

May I make a recommendation? Don't use those metal cookie sheets. Even if they are good stainless (and not all of them are), that is a thin stainless coating that often cracks and degrades from the highly alkaline soap. That exposes the soap to the other metals underneath, which often includes aluminum (dangerous reaction with NaOH) and other metals that encourage DOS/rancidity.

A sheet of baking paper between such racks and the soap would be good protection. I used that even with my quality stainless curing racks!

My soapy things today were all intended to use up the last of my oil MB which was from November 2022, and included:

Project 1: A 500g batch of LS paste. My two goals were to able to make a nice LS from the same masterbatch of oils that I use for bar soap, and to dilute it quickly as needed. I've been tinkering and think I found the solution by riffing on IrishLass' method of diluting with melted stearic acid, along with some sodium lactate. Tonight I only diluted 150g and started by melting the stearic in the SL in my microwave. Then I added my still-warm paste (non-zappy), poured over boiling dilution water and capped the jar for about 10 minutes. By then the paste was quite soft, so I added the FO, SF, and PS80, then used the stickblender to blend it all up to a nice creamy consistency. Initial testing says it is very bubbly and non-drying. Win!

Project 2: use up the remaining MB oils to make two loaves of bar soap. They may or may not meet the July Challenge requirements. At this moment they are sitting in my fancy insulating box, which is the perfect size to hold my heating pad and many of my loaf molds and cavity molds. Betcha didn't know that Apple sold soaping tools, eh? 😁

IMG_2322.jpg

Last edited:
I unmolded my first cube bars. I rushed the stamping a bit, and it made the stamp a bit blurry, but I'm in love with these.
This is a classic 72% recipe (olive pomace 72%, palm 14%, coconut 14%, made with @Zany_in_CO 's 'faux sea water' brine and some madder root for color).
That’s a lovely color!

I just wanted to double check something with you all.

When I was in Marseille, they told me that 72% marseille soap was referring to 72% oils vs 28% everything else (water and lye). The oils were just 100% olive oil.

Does anyone have more information?

So much interesting info - love it all.
I am pup sitting away from home, so no pics of my soap yet.
I love the stamp, Jorah. I don't know anything about Marseille soap, but your soap looks good!

LS is interesting, I haven't done that one yet.
I just love that this forum exists. 💓
Yesterday, I packed up my first order that is not a local buying from me. She bought stuff from me at the last market.
I've been selling for $5 bar while I get the fragrance recipes figured out.
I would like to continue to be able to make that price point, but I need to make sure I'm able.

This business stuff is all new to me. I'm learning it so I can teach it. 😂
Five families have signed up for the co-op ❤️

You got the color from madder root? Beautiful! Where is your soap stamp from? The cube shape is unusual. Did you get the soap stamp on Etsy?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back