What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, it sounds like we're at similar stages. I also struggle with scent. I would probably sell exclusively unscented soap, but my wife has pointed out that everyone we've watched pick up a bar of handmade soap sniffs it! So, I've recruited her to be our 'perfumer,' and now she's studying perfumes and scent construction.

Looking at the soap just after I spooned it into the blue mold, you can see why I said it looked ugly, but they turned out okay looking. It's nice to have a super-easy way to use up scraps and off-cuts. It will be interesting to see if these try to break up during use. If so, the next time I have a quart of scraps I'll look into some of the rebatching methods I've seen mentioned here on SMF.
Your soap is lovely! Where did you get your deep single soap mold? Thank you 😊

Thank you so much for liking my soaps! Revive was one of the first EO blends I ever used and I still love it, plus it seems to stick pretty well in my soaps. I‘m not sure what kind of peppermint I used in the past, but lately I’ve been using this one from Camden-Grey.
Thanks. I believe that is first distill based on the description, but I've emailed for confirmation.

Today was good soapy fun! Making gift bags for my neighborhood Bunco friends for the Fourth of July. Both of these are two-ish years old. One on the left was made using Oregon Trail’s Bonsai. One on the right Nurture Soap’s Creation. Both still strong and fragrant! Adding lip balm and body polish to the bags.
image.jpg

I tested 11 fragrance oils and one EO blend. Anyone have soap turn orange and rice when adding sweet orange EO and rosemary EO blend?

On the plus side this soap will probably make an amazing degreaser. The soap is white on the bottom so I’m thinking of just cutting the top off.

Plus I really like Kokum butter - it makes my soaps shiny and hard, even at just 10%.

Last edited:
Anyone have soap turn orange and rice when adding sweet orange EO and rosemary EO blend?
What brand of EO, and how old? Many brands from Amazon are adulterated with ingredients that cause problems in soap. Plus, any EO can easily oxidize over time, or under less than ideal storage conditions. Oxidiation will definitely cause acceleration.

What brand of EO, and how old? Many brands from Amazon are adulterated with ingredients that cause problems in soap. Plus, any EO can easily oxidize over time, or under less than ideal storage conditions. Oxidiation will definitely cause acceleration

The same brand that made the neroli fragrance water I was talking about previously, lol. That said I cannot get the cap to screw back on the EO correctly, so maybe it did oxidize.

I bought the EO about 2.5 months ago.

Your soap is lovely! Where did you get your deep single soap mold? Thank you 😊
Edit: sorry, I misread your question the first time. I found that mold on Amazon. It's called the
"JET LAG Rectangle Silicone Soap Mold 4oz, 12 Bar Soap Mold for Soap Making, Thick and Durable with Flat Sides and Smooth Lines"

Last edited:
Today I finally got off my butt and made soap. I had to clean the whole basement room where my workbench is, as 5 weeks of entropy had made the place unusable. Once that was done, I made two batches of 500 grams of fat each (a Castile and a 72% that I threw some madder root into) and one charcoal and pumice batch that had 2,324 grams of oil. That last one should give me 20-22 bars. I'm expecting the bars to be a light gray color, but the batter looked very dark.

I decided to make a small batch of hot processed soap. I was never a fan of hot processed for some reason but after making this little batch I may just change my mind😊 I fragranced it with
my version of a dupe of Hempz Apricot & Clementine that was inspired by a post by @dmcgee5034😉
B01B141661F14CF99563DCF4F01AFB9C.jpeg

AB4D1CC159774AD5848FCA39CD54525A.jpeg

I fragranced it with my version of a dupe of Hempz Apricot & Clementine that was inspired by a post by @dmcgee5034😉
How did your dup come out @Terri E? I am waiting for my FOs to give it a try.
BTW - I love the soaps with the darling toppers add on them. I’m going to guess that’s an alpaca, since I have this funny guide to telling llamas and alpacas apart 😂😉

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
How did your dup come out @Terri E? I am waiting for my FOs to give it a try.
BTW - I love the soaps with the darling toppers add on them. I’m going to guess that’s an alpaca, since I have this funny guide to telling llamas and alpacas apart 😂😉
Thank you and yes I think it is an alpaca 🤣 the dupe came out great! Very close I think. I have the lotion and I keep smelling it then smelling the FO mix. I get nose-blind so I think it must be close 😂
It is a mix of Peach Bellini, Clementine, Apricot and Market Peach

IMG_3964.jpeg

SMF Decals ~ are they digital or an actual stick-on sticker? I see the announcement in the daily email and when I click on it it goes to the page that explains the "support the forum" stuff but I'm not seeing how to go about getting some 🧐 👀 🤔

SMF Decals ~ are they digital or an actual stick-on sticker? I see the announcement in the daily email and when I click on it it goes to the page that explains the "support the forum" stuff but I'm not seeing how to go about getting some 🧐 👀 🤔
They are real actual stickers - mine magically appeared in the mail one day 🌸

Here are the two scrubby soaps I made yesterday, with palm and OO pomace. Both batches behaved well, which surprised me, because really, what was I thinking when I combined them and then added clays in the mix… The one thing these batches did not have is castor oil. Maybe the castor with palm thing has been my problem all along. I left it out because I made these soaps with 25% CO instead of 20%.

The scrubiness in this one is from pumice and sea salt and it’s colored with clay and oxides. This batch is scented with EOCalc’s Revive (tea tree, peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus).

View attachment 73382

The scrubiness in this one is from a blend of coffee, cornmeal, orange peel and powered chamomile and calendula flowers. The colors are from the additives and clays, including some that I dug myself from a friend’s property in central Virginia. The clay colors ranged from yellow to red so I’m not exactly sure how I achieved that bronze green color. This one is scented with a blend of Orange 10x and BeScented’s Volcano. I probably should have done orange and cedar, but I was very worried about acceleration(!) and picked scents I knew would slow things down.

View attachment 73383
All so gorgeous and so well planned!

Back