What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tired I made a couple of batches of soap today. I was hoping to do some more swirling but these FOs speed up trace the reviews say otherwise. So I'm a little bummed out cause I'm having so much trouble finding good FOs for swirling I have no experience with this. So my soaps are in layers now oh well next time. If anybody has any good advice for what FOs are good for swirling I will try them. Hope everyone has a good night šŸ˜“.
The FO isn't the only thing that can affect how quickly your soap moves. How much you stick blend, what oils you use, temperature can also make a big difference. Try doing very little stick blending and using oils that are slow to trace, like lard.

Might actually belong on the gripe forum LOL. But I will make it work here LOL

You might remember last year that a girl from work asked me for a sandalwood soap for her husband. So I bought a special FO for her...actually tried two different ones and then went with one that I liked for her special order. She was so excited for these 3/$20 special soaps...and her hubby loved them, that she wanted 3 more, plus another 3 for herself. I literally sent her a picture of my already ready soap cure rack to pick what she wanted, and she liked my Willow and Ivy soap that looked exactly the same, except for sandalwood was brown and willow and ivy was green. They WERE really nice (patting my back). She came back for the other 3 willow and ivy soaps.

I normally get 8 from a batch. I used one from each (cause it was my first with both of these FOs) I dropped one willow and ivy, and the sandalwood sat for a year and really looked bad after a year with all the td I put in it. Just crumbly on the edges and maybe the beginning of some dos. And I sold the other willow and ivy at a market

She hasn't asked me for any for a year or so. But then again, she bought a total of 9 bars, plus the one that I gave her in the beginning that got her started...so I probably should have been proactive and made more of the same, but I really never make the same. I told her as well. They are unique, I make them on a whim, or for a challenge, or whatever...

Last month she asked me for 3 more bars of the sandalwood with the same design. I told her that I might have one more left (which in the end turned out to be the crumbly one). I explained that if she wanted something specific that she can tell me what she wants...I don't mind a special request, but need at the minimum 6 weeks to make them. "do you want something similar, the same scents? similar designs?" I really went down every avenue with her trying to explain that I have A LOT of soap and even showed her batches of soap that were cured or ready enough....let me know what you want... Or I can make something...but that will take me 6 weeks. Never committed to anything.

Then I saw her and she asks if I had any of her sandalwood soap back in stock.... SMACK.MY.HEAD.

Mind you, she only works per diem like 2 days a month, so I don't see her that often (she works in another department). Then a few days later my partner is like "Lisa is looking for you, she says you have sandalwood soap for her"...I DO NOT. Shittin stupid fuzzy fluffy bunny rabbit slippers ...or what ever the mnemonic is here.

So my soapy thing I am going to do after typing this...is cleaning up some newish bars so she can pick what she wants...which not one of them is sandalwood or willow and ivy, or even the same designs.

I am going to put them in a bag and stick them in her locker and tell her to let me know what she wants and return the rest LOL

edit: I just quickly beveled and buffed 5 different soaps so she can at least give me an idea what she wants, other than sandalwood and willow and ivy LOL.

Last edited:

You might remember last year that a girl from work asked me for a sandalwood soap for her husband. So I bought a special FO for her...actually tried two different ones and then went with one that I liked for her special order. She was so excited for these 3/$20 special soaps...and her hubby loved them, that she wanted 3 more, plus another 3 for herself. I literally sent her a picture of my already ready soap cure rack to pick what she wanted, and she liked my Willow and Ivy soap that looked exactly the same, except for sandalwood was brown and willow and ivy was green. They WERE really nice (patting my back). She came back for the other 3 willow and ivy soaps.

I normally get 8 from a batch. I used one from each (cause it was my first with both of these FOs) I dropped one willow and ivy, and the sandalwood sat for a year and really looked bad after a year with all the td I put in it. Just crumbly on the edges and maybe the beginning of some dos. And I sold the other willow and ivy at a market

She hasn't asked me for any for a year or so. But then again, she bought a total of 9 bars, plus the one that I gave her in the beginning that got her started...so I probably should have been proactive and made more of the same, but I really never make the same. I told her as well. They are unique, I make them on a whim, or for a challenge, or whatever...

Last month she asked me for 3 more bars of the sandalwood with the same design. I told her that I might have one more left (which in the end turned out to be the crumbly one). I explained that if she wanted something specific that she can tell me what she wants...I don't mind a special request, but need at the minimum 6 weeks to make them. "do you want something similar, the same scents? similar designs?" I really went down every avenue with her trying to explain that I have A LOT of soap and even showed her batches of soap that were cured or ready enough....let me know what you want... Or I can make something...but that will take me 6 weeks. Never committed to anything.

Then I saw her and she asks if I had any of her sandalwood soap back in stock.... SMACK.MY.HEAD.

Mind you, she only works per diem like 2 days a month, so I don't see her that often (she works in another department). Then a few days later my partner is like "Lisa is looking for you, she says you have sandalwood soap for her"...I DO NOT. Shittin stupid fuzzy fluffy bunny rabbit slippers ...or what ever the mnemonic is here.

So my soapy thing I am going to do after typing this...is cleaning up some newish bars so she can pick what she wants...which not one of them is sandalwood or willow and ivy, or even the same designs.

I am going to put them in a bag and stick them in her locker and tell her to let me know what she wants and return the rest LOL

edit: I just quickly beveled and buffed 5 different soaps so she can at least give me an idea what she wants, other than sandalwood and willow and ivy LOL.
Ugh some people just don't get the struggle at all. Especially cure times. Sometimes people think they have a huge variety to choose from.

I made these last night - scented with Bedtime Bath - a BBW dupe (which I love). No idea for a name yet - I suck at choosing names - my creativity only comes out when I design them.

I will post the cut later.

Attachments

• March 21, 2023 - no name soap.jpg
    March 21, 2023 - no name soap.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 0
Ugh some people just don't get the struggle at all. Especially cure times. Sometimes people think they have a huge variety to choose from.
I have friends that have bought soap from a local farm market in the past. They were so excited when I started making/gifting soap and asked if I could make soaps in specific fragrances they already know and love. Next question was how long does it take me to make soap. Their jaws hit the floor when I told them making soap doesn't take an incredible length of time, but there's a cure time of 6-8 weeks needed for most recipes. Longer for castile and salt bars. I think they have a new found respect for the process.

Oh my!

I made a batch of shampoo bars yesterday! I am feeling like my old self, with 5 radiation days to go before the final bell ring! Anyway, back to the batch. I mixed OO, AO, Castor Oil, and CO for a conditioning shampoo. Either I blend too long, or my soap sets up wat fast, but it got gloopy at the end of the pour. I got 4 bars as well as a 40 oz. log made.

I removed it from the molds after 12 hours and cut it with my new Hercules cutter (I am in love with this thing!), I had to view a YouTube to see what was what. I shaved off 1/4" of the bottom gloopy-ness and then cut 10 bars! I will post some pics after my "puter is through going crazy.

Attachments

• 20230322_103812.jpg
    20230322_103812.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230322_103819.jpg
    20230322_103819.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I made a batch of shampoo bars yesterday! I am feeling like my old self, with 5 radiation days to go before the final bell ring! Anyway, back to the batch. I mixed OO, AO, Castor Oil, and CO for a conditioning shampoo. Either I blend too long, or my soap sets up wat fast, but it got gloopy at the end of the pour. I got 4 bars as well as a 40 oz. log made.

I removed it from the molds after 12 hours and cut it with my new Hercules cutter (I am in love with this thing!), I had to view a YouTube to see what was what. I shaved off 1/4" of the bottom gloopy-ness and then cut 10 bars! I will post some pics after my "puter is through going crazy.
How exciting! I am cheering for you - your bell ring is so close! You got this! Also, nice soap and my Hercules just shipped - woo hoos all around šŸŒø

Hi, I have been quiet for a while. Grandchildren are visiting, so soapmaking has been difficult, but managed 200 little soaps for an order from a local guesthouse - boring, plain boereseep and honey soap.

I am planning for next week, but noticed that my Aloe gel that I harvested 2 weeks ago has turned purple - even though I froze it. Will it still be ok? Am I going to get purple soaps? Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Hi, I have been quiet for a while. Grandchildren are visiting, so soapmaking has been difficult, but managed 200 little soaps for an order from a local guesthouse - boring, plain boereseep and honey soap.

I am planning for next week, but noticed that my Aloe gel that I harvested 2 weeks ago has turned purple - even though I froze it. Will it still be ok? Am I going to get purple soaps? Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

I just did a search and came up with this:

Sometimes aloe gel can oxidize (react to oxygen), turning it pink or red. Other colors, such as purple, mean your aloe vera has gone bad.

Fresh aloe vera gel should be transparent. If it is cloudy looking, this means it has gone bad. The cloudiness is most likely caused by mold or bacteria.

I just did a search and came up with this:

Sometimes aloe gel can oxidize (react to oxygen), turning it pink or red. Other colors, such as purple, mean your aloe vera has gone bad.

Fresh aloe vera gel should be transparent. If it is cloudy looking, this means it has gone bad. The cloudiness is most likely caused by mold or bacteria.
Thank You

Chucking it and harvesting fresh ones tomorrow - luckily have LOTS of aloes.

I made these last night - scented with Bedtime Bath - a BBW dupe (which I love). No idea for a name yet - I suck at choosing names - my creativity only comes out when I design them.

I will post the cut later.
Have you cut this yet? I'm waiting with more patience than @Zing, but even I have my limit.

Tell me about your boereseep (translation - Farmer's soap).

Back