What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a search and came up with this:

Sometimes aloe gel can oxidize (react to oxygen), turning it pink or red. Other colors, such as purple, mean your aloe vera has gone bad.

Fresh aloe vera gel should be transparent. If it is cloudy looking, this means it has gone bad. The cloudiness is most likely caused by mold or bacteria.
That’s really sad, because who doesn’t love purple soap? (Or purple anything?)

My additive pile grew after my most recent vacation (sue me! I love finding random things to bring home 😂 ) so I decided to make a list of everything and came up with ideas to test a bunch of them out. Some of them have very little, if any, info on the internet about their soap usage (other than finding soap that definitely has those ingredients in there) so I see a lot of experimentation in my future.

... Next I need to do that for my FOs because a few have fallen into my NG cart and are somehow now on their way to me? And will end up in my FO drawer which is already quiet full... Who allowed this to happen, because I definitely didn't do that 🤔😶😶‍🌫️

Tell me about your boereseep (translation - Farmer's soap).
Boereseep is traditional Beef tallow soap that have been used by the pioneer farmers in South Africa for centuries. Originally it was made as a "hot-process" Only tallow and lye. It is used for everything, bathing, hair, dishes, laundry, etc. My grandmother used to cook it outside in a big pot. So, grandfather would slaughter a cow and they would process all the meat, make wors, mince, etc. The next day, the tallow would be rendered and most of it turned into soap.

I tested out my Stain Stix on an old stain in a t-shirt I didn't want to toss. I treated it from the inside to keep from damaging the print on the T. I sent it through a cold wash and warm dry, NO STAIN!!! I had treated this T with several stain treatments, and it had gone through the dryer several times, with no noticeable stain lightening. I am sold on this!

I tested out my Stain Stix on an old stain in a t-shirt I didn't want to toss. I treated it from the inside to keep from damaging the print on the T. I sent it through a cold wash and warm dry, NO STAIN!!! I had treated this T with several stain treatments, and it had gone through the dryer several times, with no noticeable stain lightening. I am sold on this!
Which recipe did you use? I remember we were talking about 100% CO with 0%sf, and one person mentioned 100% tallow stain sticks. Can’t remember which you decided to try…

Which recipe did you use? I remember we were talking about 100% CO with 0%sf, and one person mentioned 100% tallow stain sticks. Can’t remember which you decided to try…
I used the 100% coconut oil. It pulled out 95% of my husband's head grease from his pillowcase as well!

My soapy thing was letting a friend bring her two sisters over to "shop" from my curing rack. She's been giving them my soaps as Christmas gifts for a few years, and they wanted to come buy some for themselves while they were in town visiting her. I didn't have a good variety of soap on hand, but they bought soaps, lotions, and Alaskan Glacial Clay Foaming Mud (a very popular DIY Bath & Body recipe). I also threw in some bath bombs and a sample size sugar scrub. It was a fun break in the middle of a busy work day!

My soapy thing was letting a friend bring her two sisters over to "shop" from my curing rack. She's been giving them my soaps as Christmas gifts for a few years, and they wanted to come buy some for themselves while they were in town visiting her. I didn't have a good variety of soap on hand, but they bought soaps, lotions, and Alaskan Glacial Clay Foaming Mud (a very popular DIY Bath & Body recipe). I also threw in some bath bombs and a sample size sugar scrub. It was a fun break in the middle of a busy work day!
I need to make more of that Mud! It's an amazing recipe.

I wrapped 4 batches of soap today, in preparation for an upcoming market.

I had some unscented bars from a test batch which I was first testing usage rates for one of my indigo powders & pink brazillian clay. They bored me LOL although still pretty. No scent, muted colors *bleh*

So, since I have been playing with my pull-throughs which I got from Chass at Wild Plantanica, and I had watched a video of someone using thin stencils on their equally boring bars of soap AND I had made soap dough out of nothing more than a bar of soap....I suddenly thought...why not try stencilling my boring soap using one of Chass's pull-through disks & my soap dough?

So I did. And it worked! So I did a few more! Then discovered that while it DOES work, some of the disks are more finicky in releasing the edges of the soap dough.

I am now trying to figure out how to make the disks more easily release the soap dough I have pushed through them & then levelled off with my pastry cutter. and then slowly releasing the disk by gently lifting the edges up all around. It really does end up looking quite beautiful. I was amazed to be honest. And if you spritz with alcohol afterwards, it gives the soap dough a beautiful sheen even after drying, which makes it pop more. It's like a 3D stencil & very tactile, also very visible from various angles.

At some time will be able to post photos of my test batches with natural colorants once I upload them to my cloud server (I hope). My issue is living in a remote area with no cell service (hence no data connection) & having problems transferring photos from my phone to my laptop. Unable to post photos for now, but hopefully soon :)

Really love the stuff Chass makes! Waiting on my bar beveler and another order of pull-throughs for my round bars. It is definitely an art in getting the designs to show properly. Her stuff is so amazingly gorgeous, and using only natural colorants. She is an artist!

I had some unscented bars from a test batch which I was first testing usage rates for one of my indigo powders & pink brazillian clay. They bored me LOL although still pretty. No scent, muted colors *bleh*

So, since I have been playing with my pull-throughs which I got from Chass at Wild Plantanica, and I had watched a video of someone using thin stencils on their equally boring bars of soap AND I had made soap dough out of nothing more than a bar of soap....I suddenly thought...why not try stencilling my boring soap using one of Chass's pull-through disks & my soap dough?

So I did. And it worked! So I did a few more! Then discovered that while it DOES work, some of the disks are more finicky in releasing the edges of the soap dough.

I am now trying to figure out how to make the disks more easily release the soap dough I have pushed through them & then levelled off with my pastry cutter. and then slowly releasing the disk by gently lifting the edges up all around. It really does end up looking quite beautiful. I was amazed to be honest. And if you spritz with alcohol afterwards, it gives the soap dough a beautiful sheen even after drying, which makes it pop more. It's like a 3D stencil & very tactile, also very visible from various angles.

At some time will be able to post photos of my test batches with natural colorants once I upload them to my cloud server (I hope). My issue is living in a remote area with no cell service (hence no data connection) & having problems transferring photos from my phone to my laptop. Unable to post photos for now, but hopefully soon :)

Really love the stuff Chass makes! Waiting on my bar beveler and another order of pull-throughs for my round bars. It is definitely an art in getting the designs to show properly. Her stuff is so amazingly gorgeous, and using only natural colorants. She is an artist!
Can’t wait to see the photos!

Latest posts

Back