What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was a market.
PXL_20230401_123648005.jpg

Today the only soapy thing I've done today is order oils and adjust my recipes for the new mold I ordered on Monday. I am ecstatic to be at a point where I can size up this much for my top 10.
Screenshot_20230402-151639.png

I spent what turned out to be several days summarizing all my sales from 2022. I keep track at every market of what I sell but I didn‘t have a tidy summary of all the markets in one spreadsheet - (62 markets). This being my first year selling I added some soaps throughout the year (well, not just soaps actually) and dropped some after they sold out. I also wanted to see what soaps were my best sellers - not just highest volume but highest sales per market.
So, for anyone interested, these were my top volume soaps:

1. Lemongrass - lemongrass and litsea EOs
2. Lavender Rosemary Mint - Lavender, rosemary, peppermint EOs with French green clay
3. Mango Papaya
4. Black Raspberry & Vanilla
5. Lavender

These were my top sales per market soaps:

Top five per market sales (not total) were:
1. White Mountains - ciaglia landscape soap - scented w Alpine Frost
2. Cashmere Sky - made with Cashmere Woods from Stock Fragrance
3. Sunflower - I started with one batch for an SMF challenge, turned out to be very popular. Scented with various florals.
4. Good Morning - peppermint, spearmint, eucalyptus, tea tree EOs w blue Cambrian clay
5. Gardeners Soap - lemongrass, litsea, sage, and rosemary EOs with pumice and teff seed for scrubbing.
(Excludes holiday soap, they all had higher sales rates.)

I would be interested to know what sells best in other parts of the US and world.

20230403_105741.jpg

I made a loaf of charcoal soap with pumice, last night, but I'm less than impressed so far. It's not black; It's dark gray even though I stick blended the AC in my oils before adding the lye solution. Also, my FO discolored the top with a yellowish tinge that I don't like, so I cut off the top with my wire soap cutter and called it good.
Pic is after I cut off the tops, but before I smoothed the edges.

Last edited:
I made a loaf of charcoal soap with pumice, last night, but I'm less than impressed so far. It's not black; It's dark gray even though I stick blended the AC in my oils before adding the lye solution. Also, my FO discolored the top with a yellowish tinge that I don't like, so I cut off the top with my wire soap cutter and called it good.
Pic is after I cut off the tops, but before I smoothed the edges.k,
Ok, you can ignore my comment on the other thread, since you posted a pic here. Those look great!

FWIW, AC turns grey or blue-grey in most of my soaps. Sometimes I think it's the FO, but even unscented will do that. I just can't get a dark black with AC alone without using so much that it goes well into the grey lather zone. But black oxide or black mica mixed with AC make a nice black.

I cleaned 200 and eleventy million soap utensils, pots, pans and bowls. I may have fudged the numbers there. I think there was more. Felt like it anyway :mad:. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.
I feel your dismay after a Great day soaping yesterday it took me 200 and eleventy million hours to clean 🤣😂🤣 and my one batch looks so sad just about to cut the other fingers crossed 🤞… good luck with the mother in law 😉

Where do you purchase this recipe? It sounds very interesting.
It's a DIY Bath & Body recipe that, unfortunately, has been taking down for some reformulating. It uses one ingredient (Canadian Glacial Clay) that isn't readily available everywhere and Sandra's been experimenting with other clays to see what will work and what won't. She's also been undergoing some health issues that have been keeping her from working as much as she'd like. It's unfortunate because it's an amazing mud masque recipe.

I used the amazing Caterpillar for the first time to split loaves and cut bars--AMAZING!!!! Holy ned. I'm actually serving out my notice period of my day job (and a profession that I've spent 20 years on, not including the ridiculous amount of schooling that it entailed) and am about to start farmers markets full-time in May. Will open the doors to my u-pick lavender farm in t-minus 13 months! So happy to be selling soap again! It means I can make so much more!! And a giant thank you to this community: I've learned so much from you all!

I suppose it was last night but I made my first batch of CP soap! I was going for a layered soap with the middle layer having a swirl. I think The FO I used was quite the accelerant as it went from not trace to what I would say was heavy trace just sitting there in minutes! I am confident it will turn out as soap but I don't think my design will be as envisioned lol.

I did "cheat" a little as I used BB swirl quick mix. Even with a mix that is touted as slow moving it was quick! The FO I used is called Sea Dog so I wanted a tan bottom layer. Dark and aqua blue swirl middle and sky blue top layer. We will see when I cut it. I was stirring the bottom layer to get it to a heavier trace before pouring and when I checked the 3 other jugs, those were thick pudding from just sitting there! A few lessons learned. 1 being it was probably too ambitious for a first batch but go big or go home right?

Attachments

• 20230404_190213.jpg
    20230404_190213.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230404_182014.jpg
    20230404_182014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I suppose it was last night but I made my first batch of CP soap! I was going for a layered soap with the middle layer having a swirl. I think The FO I used was quite the accelerant as it went from not trace to what I would say was heavy trace just sitting there in minutes! I am confident it will turn out as soap but I don't think my design will be as envisioned lol.

I did "cheat" a little as I used BB swirl quick mix. Even with a mix that is touted as slow moving it was quick! The FO I used is called Sea Dog so I wanted a tan bottom layer. Dark and aqua blue swirl middle and sky blue top layer. We will see when I cut it. I was stirring the bottom layer to get it to a heavier trace before pouring and when I checked the 3 other jugs, those were thick pudding from just sitting there! A few lessons learned. 1 being it was probably too ambitious for a first batch but go big or go home right?
I try to give each of my colors a quick stir as often as possible. They thicken more just sitting there.

It looks lovely anyway! Kudos on your 1st soap 🙂

I used the amazing Caterpillar for the first time to split loaves and cut bars--AMAZING!!!! Holy ned. I'm actually serving out my notice period of my day job (and a profession that I've spent 20 years on, not including the ridiculous amount of schooling that it entailed) and am about to start farmers markets full-time in May. Will open the doors to my u-pick lavender farm in t-minus 13 months! So happy to be selling soap again! It means I can make so much more!! And a giant thank you to this community: I've learned so much from you all!
Congratulations! What an exciting adventure. Where is your lavender farm?

So pretty on the top, can’t wait for the cut pictures :)

I'm excited 😁 I just made a batch of soap using avocado seed powder and even better, the powder is made from home grown avocados that I dried the seeds of and ground up. I also used a little homemade avocado oil to disperse my color in (didn't have enough to put in the soap itself haha). I've been wanting to make soap like this for ages. No avocado puree (this time?) but I did use some apple cider I've had frozen for awhile now. Can't wait to see how the exfoliation is.

I'll share pics in my thread when the time comes (which may be sooner than usual because I have a tall order of MP soap projects this month...)

Happy first day in the forum! And congrats on your first batch -- there is no turning back now. Nice top there.

I too couldn't wait to do all the swirls and colors. But what worked for me first was mastering all the steps and mastering trace, so I used no colors or just one color, and no design.

Also, if I might add, getting to thick pudding trace can be a common thing for new soapers. I would turn on my stick blender and just leave it on the entire time. Now I use the stick blender mostly as a spoon with a few 5-second bursts.
Keep us posted and don't forget to post photos of the cut!!

I left a review on Amazon for my cheese cutter turned soap cutter. I don't usually leave reviews, but anyone considering buying it for cutting soap should be aware of the size discrepancy because that limits the size loaf that can be cut. Other than that, it's been a great addition to my soaping arsenal.

Made my second loaf last night with the correct amount of water and was able to unmold it this morning lol. Got a bit ashy but I understand you can steam it off. Batch #1 is still too soft to unmold I think.

Attachments

• 20230405_184915.jpg
    20230405_184915.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230406_080820.jpg
    20230406_080820.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I just unmolded last nights soap, which was originally supposed to be a challenge entry.

So I have a new'ish 4lb slab mold that I have never used before. My INTENTIONS were to double my usual recipe for it. I am forever on a quest for more bubbles, so for the first time in my soaping career I lowered my superfat to 2%, and I also upped my castor oil by 2% (not related to the superfatting). If anything, a challenge soap is usually an experiment for me anyway, so why not just go ahead and experiment further LOL.

I will tell you why this was a bad idea (for me), because it was too much change all at once LOL. Not that it would have been a bad change, I am sure it would have been a lovely soap, and very well might be a lovely soap still. But I nullified my experiment by upping the sugar, sodium citrate, and the sodium lactate, which I was supposed to do....IF I CHANGED MY OILS WEIGHT on the soap calc.

I was so focused on everything else, that I forgot to change my batch size. As I am measuring everything out I felt some weird familiarity with the whole process. Of course it felt familiar, its my same recipe, weights and all.

By the time I realized my mistake, I already pulled out water for the sugar and the sodium citrate, and oils from my batch for the colorants, and added my SL...all of which I compensated for a bigger batch. There is really no telling how much I used. So in the end I just had to make it with all the extra sugar, SL, and SC.

I am sure the soap will be just fine (I think), but in the end, I hated my design as I was pouring. I also didn't check how the batter should be set up before I started pouring and it was way too thin and everything just spread out and started to get muddled. So I put a chopstick in it and swirled. So it is a double-fail attempt at the challenge.

It's a DIY Bath & Body recipe that, unfortunately, has been taking down for some reformulating. It uses one ingredient (Canadian Glacial Clay) that isn't readily available everywhere and Sandra's been experimenting with other clays to see what will work and what won't. She's also been undergoing some health issues that have been keeping her from working as much as she'd like. It's unfortunate because it's an amazing mud masque recipe.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on her page if it goes back up.

Back