What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh that is an excellent idea for the containers.

Mine is 95% CO and 5% castor. I actually use it at 5% SF (which was an accidental overlook on my part) and I love them. I pour it into a big PVC pipe, pop them in the fridge and then cut the next day although they are super hard at that point. I also use lemongrass EO, Lemon EO and Lavender EO. They smell dreamy. I just rub the soap on my cloth and use it that way. I like the container idea though.
And you could sell replacement soap in addition to a set (the soap and vessel/container).

I think I’m going to buy one of those vessels and test it with a CO soap. This conversation helped to motivate me. 😆

So, today I got ready to to make my biggest batch yet! I’m trying out my T&S slab mold.. I joined a Facebook soap traders group… didn’t realize that was a thing. They have a big group trade/challenge coming up with a space galaxy theme. I need only ten bars… but I thought hey, why not make 40 instead. So I’m using all my soap balls I’ve collected for planets and chopped up some white soap shavings for stars. I found some soap embed swirly things I piped when I was practicing & I might put those on top. This soap is gonna be so extra…. I’m kinda scared! 😱 😳
You got this! Can't wait to see what you create. :)

LOL! A friend of a friend just ordered a loaf of soap (any design, anise eo, no exfoliants) -- "and a couple of those lotion lumps." I'm still laughing!!
Lotion lumps 😂😂🤣. Sorry to hear that work has been stressful. Give Mrs. Zing a big hug since she clearly has professional-level counseling skills. ("Feeling stressed? Make soap. Feeling sad? Make soap. Having a good day? Make it a great day by making soap... and lotion lumps!")

Mine is 95% CO and 5% castor. I actually use it at 5% SF (which was an accidental overlook on my part) and I love them. I pour it into a big PVC pipe, pop them in the fridge and then cut the next day although they are super hard at that point. I also use lemongrass EO, Lemon EO and Lavender EO. They smell dreamy. I just rub the soap on my cloth and use it that way. I like the container idea though.
That's pretty much exactly like my “cheese” came into existence – though I used an old Pringles can (which was a good thing since my recipe called for a not exactly minimal-invasive unmoulding). I had that yellowish cylinder in front of me, and thought “hey, isn't this a wheel of cheese?” 🤣

It's hard to imagine there was a time "We Woman Couldn't Vote" after all we are the superior species of the Human Race.
Sorry gentleman ( Not Sorry ) :lol:...
It's not so long ago when nobody could vote at all, and being in power was exclusively a matter of being born into the right family. Well, technically these times aren't fully over yet, although a majority of voters could in principle decide for it. Seems that this democracy thingie is more complicated than though on the first glance… 😟

So today I made a rebatch of my Pumpkin Latte soap. The last one really traced fast and learning from some mistakes it worked much better this time. I bought a scraper to replicate the 'foam' but that didn't work at all. The trace was fine and it scraped ok but I think the 'drips' were just too close to each other. Scrapped that idea and I'm cautiously optimistic it will turn out nice once it's cut... anticipating the reveal!

Tl;Dr: I got into a fight with a popular local fb and insta page. o_O

I have been a bit busy lately with my course. I've been making lots of formulations for my course. Not as much soap. I do have about 10kgs of melt and pour soap curing that I think I should be able to let my darling 10yrold to scent, colour and play with on the weekend. It's been curing for 4 weeks now, so should be good to go. I wish it was a little lighter (it's more yellow than clear) but I daresay the daughter will colour it anyway.

I made two batches of hot process soap the day before yesterday in response to a post from a local Facebook and Instagram account. It's a popular local account that posts news, events and local things. The mum that runs it has a child in the same school as I do. It's extremely popular with the mums. I notice a lot of misinformation on her accounts, but this one made my blood boil. I normally don't respond as if a person is not capable of knowing they aren't intelligent they will think they are intelligent. Before pictures and my response. This is a direct quote (I added {sic} with a couple of spelling errors).

All soaps are not equal. Just because it is soap - doesnt {sic} mean it hasnt {sic} been subjected to undisclosed chemicals or spraying. Let alone synthetic fragrances, colours or heat processed. Most soaps are hot processed. Hot processed soaps are really bad due to the chemicals in them. Not only does heating the oil make it carcinogenic, the soap leaches toxins. These are raw (cold processed). I cant believe the lies that shop keepers will tell you when it comes to soaps! But l know too much about these topics to be fooled! These are the best quality that l know of. And l am informed on the topic.

I tried to be calm. I wasn't. 🤪 My response:
I will refill your liquid hand soaps. Based in Brighton, have lots of zero waste products (solid shampoo, solid lotion and exfoliating bars). There's a huge difference between sustainable and natural. Soap does not usually need preservation (as high pH). Unfortunately, your information is a bit wrong. hot process is no different from cold process really. Most soapers just prefer one method over the other. I can link you to studies. Yes, commercial soaps maybe using more chemicals. Hot process soap is as natural as cold process esp. in hand made soaps. Fragrances are different. I agree they aren't natural, but synthetics can (again, can link you to studies, papers etc - currently studying this subject) be more sustainable than "natural". Natural is a misconception especially when talking about oils as even they go through a chemical process to become oils. Unfortunately, it is the wrong information that most people seem to cling too.

I just realised I only copied the bottom paragraph, the first part of her post was going on about how bad liquid soap is, about parabens in soap (seriously, WTH) how you can't reuse the bottles etc. Anyway, second part of my response, I made two batches of HP and sent her a message offering to gift her some hot process soap. I included photos of the two batches I made. I will let them cure for a few weeks now.

She still hasn't responded to my DM but her friend commented on comment "that was b**chy"
One of my friends has child in the same class as the mum, and has kindly offered to pass on my gift. Which I will do after school holidays (another lockdown) and which may be verging on being a bit b**chy - you decide ;)

As you can see, I still don't do brevity.

Pink One:
Ingredients: Aqua, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (Fractionated Coconut Oil), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Rosa Demascena (Rose Otto) Flower Distillate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Oil, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Rosa Demascena (Rose Otto) Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara Flower (Neroli) Oil, Mica.
204388806_4551491308240353_1500214734544585981_n.jpg
209121160_4551491311573686_999168801007912638_n.jpg

Blue/Green Ingredients: Aqua, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides (Fractionated Coconut Oil), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Oil, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara Flower (Neroli) Oil, Citrus aurantium bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Mica.
209714734_4556847307704753_5608712912964228587_n.jpg

Gawd, that's awful, dealing with morons who can't take critique, and let no opportunity pass to abuse scientific language to superficially support their conspiracy-theory-level nonsense. You tried your best to keep diplomatic with your totally right “Cite sources or shut up” reaction. But don't waste too much time and life energy on such pigheads. They have deserved your ignorance, at best. There are so many nicer things to care about! I love these soaps – simple, but convincing, and judging from the ingredients, smelling gorgeous! I love your sleeve design (is it suffering from soap bar shrinkage, or were you deliberately generous with the circumference?)
And one question to your M&P soap. You mention that you're curing them – I have nowhere found advice to do so for DIY M&P, but I've found myself that they get a bit harder and sweat less if stored a few days after making (but I also didn't dig very deep into M&P recipes and everything further). What's your background for this? And duuuude, 10 kg is a LOT!

Yes 2024 lol. Funny...I was typing this correction, and I typed 2014 again lol. You all would have thought I was nuts that I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my soap after using 7 year old gm lol.

@Angie Gail and @Misschief I left em on my kitchen counter. Just got home from work and my house smells like something died in it and tried to cover up the smell with lavender lol. I will give them a couple more days (in a closed off room lol) and see what happens. I don't have high hopes though. Its pretty potent lol.
It took a couple of weeks at least before my batch started to smell better so you may want to give it a while.

And one question to your M&P soap. You mention that you're curing them – I have nowhere found advice to do so for DIY M&P, but I've found myself that they get a bit harder and sweat less if stored a few days after making (but I also didn't dig very deep into M&P recipes and everything further). What's your background for this?
I believe @cmzaha has some recommendations about curing M&P soap for a bit - can't remember the reasons but she had a successful soap business for years, so she knows her stuff.

Edited: after re-reading @Juggsy's post, and the part about the daughter coloring and scenting it later, I believe the reference is to curing homemade M&P base before actually using it as M&P.

Gawd, that's awful, dealing with morons who can't take critique, and let no opportunity pass to abuse scientific language to superficially support their conspiracy-theory-level nonsense. You tried your best to keep diplomatic with your totally right “Cite sources or shut up” reaction. But don't waste too much time and life energy on such pigheads. They have deserved your ignorance, at best. There are so many nicer things to care about! I love these soaps – simple, but convincing, and judging from the ingredients, smelling gorgeous! I love your sleeve design (is it suffering from soap bar shrinkage, or were you deliberately generous with the circumference?)
And one question to your M&P soap. You mention that you're curing them – I have nowhere found advice to do so for DIY M&P, but I've found myself that they get a bit harder and sweat less if stored a few days after making (but I also didn't dig very deep into M&P recipes and everything further). What's your background for this? And duuuude, 10 kg is a LOT!

I usually do ignore but I let my emotions get the better of me. I know there's no point. There's a lot of mums in my area who spew crap they saw on FB. Critical thinking seems lacking in my area.

Sleeve was put on by my 10 year old. I told her to keep it loose but didn't expect it to be so loose. It was only on a couple so could take photo anyway, normally only put sleeve on after cure.

As for m&p, I made 2 X 5 kg batches. I got into it because of that book by Catherine Fallor, "Making Transparent Soaps." Sort of snowballed from there. But the formula I'm using I am pretty sure I got from here (when I was a lurker) maybe about 18 months ago.
I don't cello wrap them (just put in Tupperware - seems to stop sweating a bit). I don't love m&p but I like to have a lot on hand for school holidays. There's between 13 - 24 kids on our street (depends on how many foster kids next door - up to 12) so on holidays I tend to do workshops with the kids (I used to be a teacher) so it's kinda up my alley. We do soap, bath bombs, body lotion, crafts, sports. It's like a mini vacation care. 🥰 I use the m&p in these sessions. It's safer for kids. They still wear safety gear but there's no lye fear. It's also good as it's an easy activity. They melt, colour, scent and pour. Last holidays I made 2.5kgs but it wasn't enough. So I made sure this time to have enough. 🤣😭😂 I tend to be excessive 🤣

I can't remember the reason why it said to cure for a bit. I would have to go through my note books. I assumed it was to make it harder.

I usually do ignore but I let my emotions get the better of me. I know there's no point. There's a lot of mums in my area who spew crap they saw on FB. Critical thinking seems lacking in my area.

Sleeve was put on by my 10 year old. I told her to keep it loose but didn't expect it to be so loose. It was only on a couple so could take photo anyway, normally only put sleeve on after cure.

As for m&p, I made 2 X 5 kg batches. I got into it because of that book by Catherine Fallor, "Making Transparent Soaps." Sort of snowballed from there. But the formula I'm using I am pretty sure I got from here (when I was a lurker) maybe about 18 months ago.
I don't cello wrap them (just put in Tupperware - seems to stop sweating a bit). I don't love m&p but I like to have a lot on hand for school holidays. There's between 13 - 24 kids on our street (depends on how many foster kids next door - up to 12) so on holidays I tend to do workshops with the kids (I used to be a teacher) so it's kinda up my alley. We do soap, bath bombs, body lotion, crafts, sports. It's like a mini vacation care. 🥰 I use the m&p in these sessions. It's safer for kids. They still wear safety gear but there's no lye fear. It's also good as it's an easy activity. They melt, colour, scent and pour. Last holidays I made 2.5kgs but it wasn't enough. So I made sure this time to have enough. 🤣😭😂 I tend to be excessive 🤣

I can't remember the reason why it said to cure for a bit. I would have to go through my note books. I assumed it was to make it harder.
So nice of you do so many soap activities w/ the kiddo's 🧼🙌🏼. Social media can be a blessing & a curse.

@Juggsy I feel you. i work in the blood transfusion field, and there is SO MUCH ignorance, misinformation, and just plain stupidity out there about blood donation and transfusion. It’s so maddening to think that people believe the nonsense. I’ve engaged a few times, but mostly I have to just scroll on by.....but believe me, it takes a lot of discipline! (Something I’ve been working on for pretty much my entire adult life is biting my tongue!)

We use these in NZ

Latest posts

Back