What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soaped for the second time in four days! Wicky wicky what?! I have been beyond stressed at work and at night my dreams are me weeping or yelling on the job. So at the urging demand of Mrs. Zing, this week I am taking days and half days off from work and boy I tell ya it has made a tremendous difference. #SoapingIsCoping

This morning I masterbatched, acctually more like double batched. This afternoon I made loaf 1, another in my series of alternating wall pours. We have a reunion coming up and I want to give soap as gifts and I'm pushing the limits on cure time. Everything is tucked in and warm and cozy for the night.

@The_Phoenix, tell me more, I feel like I'm missing something. Are the colors significant? What is a 1920s soap? Those layers are incredible -- I marvel at the straightness. I also love the colors and would not have put those together but they look great! What are your colorants? Inquiring minds want to know more! (I tell my children that when my grandparents were born, women could not vote. It makes it feel like 'ancient history' ain't all that ancient. [Except that they probably actually do think I'm ancient]).

So, today I got ready to to make my biggest batch yet! I’m trying out my T&S slab mold.. I joined a Facebook soap traders group… didn’t realize that was a thing. They have a big group trade/challenge coming up with a space galaxy theme. I need only ten bars… but I thought hey, why not make 40 instead. So I’m using all my soap balls I’ve collected for planets and chopped up some white soap shavings for stars. I found some soap embed swirly things I piped when I was practicing & I might put those on top. This soap is gonna be so extra…. I’m kinda scared! 😱 😳

This is one of my soapy things this week. Delivering a custom order of a Fourth of July themed birthday soap favors. This is part of the order. Red and blue swirls on a white background.
729E5D7B-EBE6-4272-AABF-22A1FFC3EB4A.jpeg

I assume you mean 2024? Otherwise it's the GM 🤢
lol.
Yes 2024 lol. Funny...I was typing this correction, and I typed 2014 again lol. You all would have thought I was nuts that I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my soap after using 7 year old gm lol.

@Angie Gail and @Misschief I left em on my kitchen counter. Just got home from work and my house smells like something died in it and tried to cover up the smell with lavender lol. I will give them a couple more days (in a closed off room lol) and see what happens. I don't have high hopes though. Its pretty potent lol.

@The_Phoenix, tell me more, I feel like I'm missing something. Are the colors significant? What is a 1920s soap? Those layers are incredible -- I marvel at the straightness. I also love the colors and would not have put those together but they look great! What are your colorants? Inquiring minds want to know more! (I tell my children that when my grandparents were born, women could not vote. It makes it feel like 'ancient history' ain't all that ancient. [Except that they probably actually do think I'm ancient]).
My regard for you just went up a bajillion notches simply by asking and being curious.

Yes, the colors are significant.
US suffragists adopted the colors purple, white and gold: “Purple is the color of loyalty, constancy to purpose, unswerving steadfastness to a cause. White, the emblem of purity, symbolizes the quality of our purpose; and gold, the color of light and life, is as the torch that guides our purpose, pure and unswerving.”

Making a layered soap is easy if you split the lye solution and fats into thirds (or however many layers you choose) and keep the batter very fluid. Mix one third of your lye solution and fats. Emulsify, pour, let it set firmly. Then do the same with the remaining layers. You need to carve out a little more soaping time to allow for the layers to set.

Last night I mixed up my lye solution and prepared everything for tonight's solid dish soap bars. Seems to be the only thing I am able to sell.
100% CO? Solid dish soap bars are on my to-do list. I’ve been using whatever bar of soap is by my kitchen sink to hand wash dishes. Gets my dishes much cleaner than the commercial LS. I have a gnarly baking sheet that gets a LOT of use. It’s now sparkly clean!

I thought of pouring the dish soap batter in those little vessels that are customarily used to hold guacamole at Mexican restaurant. Like this.

100% CO? Solid dish soap bars are on my to-do list. I’ve been using whatever bar of soap is by my kitchen sink to hand wash dishes. Gets my dishes much cleaner than the commercial LS. I have a gnarly baking sheet that gets a LOT of use. It’s now sparkly clean!

I thought of pouring the dish soap batter in those little vessels that are customarily used to hold guacamole at Mexican restaurant. Like this.

Oh that is an excellent idea for the containers.

Mine is 95% CO and 5% castor. I actually use it at 5% SF (which was an accidental overlook on my part) and I love them. I pour it into a big PVC pipe, pop them in the fridge and then cut the next day although they are super hard at that point. I also use lemongrass EO, Lemon EO and Lavender EO. They smell dreamy. I just rub the soap on my cloth and use it that way. I like the container idea though.

Attachments

• Solid Dish soap - Lemongrass.jpg
    Solid Dish soap - Lemongrass.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back