What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still a bit soft to unmould! Can't wait to see how the inside comes out, it's an ITP swirl.

It's my first time using this silicone mould, I was getting stressed folding baking paper to use a plastic tub as a mould. I think it'll need to be quite firm to get it out without squishing it.

Not sure about the colour variation that's visible in the photo, the spots are less obvious in person...

View attachment 55121
love your design' pretty.

How did you make the doggie?
ETA - just seen the owl. So you make a loaf and push it through an extruder of some kind?
Soap dough with an extruder disc. I’ve used a few kinds but my current favorite are the discs from Soap Stamps & Stuff. The 2inch discs fit a jerky gun, and it’s great for my 7.5lb mold! I’m waiting on some custom ones from her now. The Facebook group has some good tutorials too. It’s hard to get some of the details, but I’m getting a little better at it.

"Egg Soap" Yay it turned out' except for a little soda ash' but i'm not complaining very happy w/ it. Thx DeeAnna for your help here & Virtual. the name of my soap 🥚" You Cr⚡ack Me Up"🥚 😃🤣
Too cute and pretty soap, and the perfect name. Nicely done! And a VERY nice soapy pic. Love the bubbles on the rubber ducky!

It came out easily about 24h after being made, pulled the sides away and turned it over, slightest push and it slid out. 😊

First ITP swirl that worked, I'm very happy with it. The bars are a little uneven since I'm just cutting them with a big knife, but not uneven enough to be an issue for home, friends and family.
Hope the FO sticks, it's already much more subtle but rather nice. It was my partner's choice, so if it's still pleasant after the cure, I'll feel better about spending money on this hobby!

IMG_20210315_162718__01__01.jpg

It’ll take a wash cloth test use in the shower when it’s done curing before I can know for sure. But they seem to have welded together.
*Sprayed the surfaces I could with RA.
*I put the whole thing back in the mold.
*Wrapped the whole mold in cling wrap, and then all of that in aluminum foil.
*Put that in the oven at 180 for 4 hours.
*Took it out and evenly as I could, w flat hand, from one end to the other, squished like heck!!!
It sliced nicely today. It was really hard, so shout out to my NS wire cutter!
Thanks to all y’all for your recommendations!!!

Attachments

• 21EF35F3-F47E-4005-AC12-C688DD263CD2.jpeg
    21EF35F3-F47E-4005-AC12-C688DD263CD2.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 64F7AFBA-6D3A-4145-A2C0-9D9DFFAE108F.jpeg
    64F7AFBA-6D3A-4145-A2C0-9D9DFFAE108F.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 55A9038E-5C01-453E-B125-9021359D6273.jpeg
    55A9038E-5C01-453E-B125-9021359D6273.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 7711131C-AABC-4C5F-B555-2A39B05C9E6C.jpeg
    7711131C-AABC-4C5F-B555-2A39B05C9E6C.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 5957D197-4108-4B67-856A-8D19742B6067.jpeg
    5957D197-4108-4B67-856A-8D19742B6067.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 23
Made more shampoo bars over the weekend, along with a conditioner and a conditioner bar. Also, working on formulating a lotion for my face that doesn't use cetearyl alcohol because my face doesn't seem to like it. For soap, I've been looking at the design elements I want to learn, the fragrances I was hoping to use, and the oils and additives which are on my list to experiment with... and getting an instant headache because combining them all would be SO ill-advised, and I can't decide which direction to head first.

FWIW - Here's a post with my lotion recipe - the only one my face likes. ETA: PM me if you'd like the complete recipe. :)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/best-lotion-preservative.80975/post-848861
Thank you! I just put in an order to lotion crafter this morning for Eumulgin SG and Polysorbate 60, but if neither of those pan out I'll PM you for the recipe. I did make a tiny batch this last weekend with some weaker emulsifiers, and I absolutely loved it... And then it got too cold, and it broke, and I couldn't persuade it to recombine, even with heating it back up again. So, I'm hoping to be able to recreate it, but, like, permanently instead of just for a few hours.

Not actually today, but after 3 years making soap I finally got myself one of those wooden molds with silicone lining that everyone has. Up until now I had been using a silicone mold ment for bread, so I went years having bread shaped soaps, which its fine, and the mold has served me well, its as good as new, but now I can finally have those perfectly square shaped soaps everyone has:

(the pink one with green top was a fail, FO accelerated, it was supposed to be strawberry but ended up smelling like play doh so I decided to reuse it on two different batches. Blue and white one also accelerates, but my aunt (and uncle) is quite fond of the smell (chamomille) and loves the not so perfect blue layers so I just make it for them. Black one is my usual space soap that I make to use up the soap balls I end up with after beveling.)

Attachments

• 642643FC-ACD6-40A9-9073-0D6E4A7AB0D5.jpeg
    642643FC-ACD6-40A9-9073-0D6E4A7AB0D5.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 26
New supplies arrived today! Two new fragrance oils; plum and rhubarb, and rock salt and driftwood. Also a new red mica which swears it's actually red, and some kaolin clay to test if it helps stick my scents. And little round silicone moulds so I can finish off the soap dough flowers I did the other day.

So!

On the one hand I want to be sensible and do science and only change one thing at a time... On the other hand, after the stress of yesterday I kind of want to throw caution to the wind and use the new rhubarb scent, new red mica, newly formulated recipe, including eggs and goats milk both for the first time, and try a rhubarb-and-custard inspired pull-through with the prepared tube I didn't get to use.

Where's my enablers? 😆

New supplies arrived today! Two new fragrance oils; plum and rhubarb, and rock salt and driftwood. Also a new red mica which swears it's actually red, and some kaolin clay to test if it helps stick my scents. And little round silicone moulds so I can finish off the soap dough flowers I did the other day.

So!

On the one hand I want to be sensible and do science and only change one thing at a time... On the other hand, after the stress of yesterday I kind of want to throw caution to the wind and use the new rhubarb scent, new red mica, newly formulated recipe, including eggs and goats milk both for the first time, and try a rhubarb-and-custard inspired pull-through with the prepared tube I didn't get to use.

Where's my enablers? 😆
Do it! With so many things that can go wrong, at least one of them is likely to go right!*

*Results not guaranteed. Please soap responsibly.

So!

Where's my enablers? 😆
Rock salt and drift wood sounds amazing! Where is it from?

Rock salt and drift wood sounds amazing! Where is it from?
It's from an Irish company called Bomar (bomar.ie). It's actually not quite what I was expecting, although I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting. It's quite sophisticated, it reminds me of a very special weekend I spent at a seaside spa resort in France 🥰

F6EA7822-2AA9-4065-A94C-1695CE0F82D4.jpeg

I cut the soap I made yesterday, tried to do a clamshell swirl but it just became too thick too fast. But I like how it looks, a happy little accident per Bob Ross. The brown/green is kelp powder which I’m experimenting with in order to get a hint of ocean. It smells pretty fishy but from researching posts on SMF I’ve read it can fade somewhat. Thanks for letting me share my fun😊

Latest posts

Back