What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad you posted your soap, I was wondering what Mango Tango would look like, I love, love that color! Please show us the cut, I am probably as excited as you are!
Here's the cut. I think I cut it too soon (I just couldn't wait!!) and I got drag marks. The middle layer isn't very pronounced but I think the tops look neat and I'm happy with it as it's my 1st CP loaf.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0966.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 37
Cut the first two batches I made yesterday. Soap from the first batch is crumbly on the cuts. I suspect my indigo preparation to be the culprit as the two single mould pieces are not crumbly (but they are not cut of course so I don't really know).
I unmolded the second batch after 24 hours (ugh, was it hard to wait, my patience was really put to test) and the pieces came out nicely.
It is such a nice sight - all those pieces of fresh soap!

Last edited:
Here are my first two attempts at in the pot swirls. I think my soap was a little too thick both times. I'm so used to hot process and I usually get to about medium trace before I leave it to cook so thin trace is hard to do. I think it's not "tracing" enough and then it gets too thick to manipulate easily. I did pretty good with these but it still could have been a little thinner. I'm happy with them though because they did at least kind of swirl. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 27

Attachments

• 69047377-B73A-47DB-A7B9-359A316BFFAE.jpeg
    69047377-B73A-47DB-A7B9-359A316BFFAE.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 23
Not sure if bath-bombs are soapy, but I just made a small batch with FO blend of Antahala Vanilla from Elements Bath & Body and Vanilla Oak from WSP. Absolutely heavenly to my nose. Also made some... Skin balm? 40% beeswax, 20% avocado oil, 20% Jojoba oil, 20% meadowfoam. Small batch with a few drops lavender and rosemary EO. My face and lips keep getting chapped with the cold, so I wanted something I could quickly apply wherever I need it to form a barrier and soothe my skin without making my face shiny or sticky. It's not cheap, but I love it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_214939.jpg
    IMG_20210215_214939.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 20
I made a giant mess is what I did. Last night I made 28lbs of soap and did lovely swirls and decorated everything nicely then realized I'm a complete idiot and miscalculated my lye mixture from the master batch to the oils so I basically had to chop up 28lbs of soap and rebatch it and try to save it. I did it in 3 batches because my stock pot can't hold all of it. Did fine on the first two, the black soap I just did as asteroid soap and put these little glow in the dark alien toys on top. The second was a gray color so I tossed on some brilliant blue mica and I'm calling it troubled waters. The third was fine until I realized I really needed to use the restroom and while I was away it bubbled over the top of my pot and covered my stove and burners with soap. Lost about 4lbs out of 12lbs to the stove. Added black to half the gray and blue to the other half and just poured it into one pot, stirred and poured. Not perfect but at least the soap is saved. It may end up in the discount section once I cut it but I hope not.

Attachments

• 20210215_223920.jpg
    20210215_223920.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210215_170815.jpg
    20210215_170815.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210215_191454.jpg
    20210215_191454.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210215_013410.jpg
    20210215_013410.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210215_191454.jpg
    20210215_191454.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210215_013410.jpg
    20210215_013410.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 13
Yesterday's batches were CPOPed and left in the oven overnight. Ash is forming on top, probably on all of them but I can see it clearly on coloured pieces only. My soaps nearly always develop ash. I don't bother about it any more. A friend even said she likes them best so I always take care to choose one for her that is rich in it.
Someone posted here about a castille (in I am guessing Italy) soap that has THICK ash on it and ppl go crazy for it and wait for it every year.

I have yet to determine what causes ash on my soaps. I pretty much use the same recipe and the same cpop all the time. Sometimes it gets it, sometimes it doesn't. It is puzzling. It does not bother me unless its a swirled or decorated top. The swirl is easier to fix with some planing, but the decorated top ash pisses me off.

I did not make as much soap as I had planned - drama Friday night so I didn't feel like soaping, and then Monday I dinked around making dividers and making room on my cure rack. So here's Saturday and Sunday efforts.

Two batches (36 bars) The Perfect Man

TPM.jpg

1 batch (18 bars) Sun and Sand type. The only color that accelerated was the yellow, so the bottom layer was too loose when I poured the heavier yellow layer on top so I didn't get the nice clean lines I wanted, but it's still a long ways better than the first time I made this soap. (There was crying and swearing and telling myself I would never make soap again.)

dayatthebeach.jpg

1 batch (18 bars) Cool Water dupe. I've previously only used BCN's, but this batch was made with NG's and it played so much nicer - and I think the dupe is closer than the BCN version.

stormysea.jpg

And finally, two batches (36 bars) of Lavender Sage. I couldn't decide how to the pour and the top, so I did each batch differently. I liked the top batch best of the two.

lavsage2.jpg
lavsage1.jpg

Tonight I'm doing the challenge soap, and then tomorrow I'll get back to making a ton more soap.

Here's the cut. I think I cut it too soon (I just couldn't wait!!) and I got drag marks. The middle layer isn't very pronounced but I think the tops look neat and I'm happy with it as it's my 1st CP loaf.
Love It! Reminds me of The a Grand Canyon!

I agree that many people prefer the look of Soda Ash. If you do not want it, just do a light spray of alcohol and polish it off.

omg so beautiful 🧼💫🤗

My 1st try @ Salt Bars: 🧂🧼💫
You and I have the exact same cavity mold but your soap looks beautiful and my cavity mold soaps almost literally look like garbage! Well done, they look so fancy!

My soapy thing for the day was carrying my 15 pound box of f/o from WSP up 38 steps to my place!

Darn you WSP and your amazing sale on FOs! This time I'm serious, I dont care who has a sale on what, I'm not making any more big fo purchases this year!

My soapy thing for the day was carrying my 15 pound box of f/o from WSP up 38 steps to my place!

Darn you WSP and your amazing sale on FOs! This time I'm serious, I dont care who has a sale on what, I'm not making any more big fo purchases this year!
That's what I tell myself too! ;)

I broke down and ordered the silicone mold with the dividers. It is supposed to arrive Thursday, but with other projects that take priority, there will be no time to make the challenge soap until right before the deadline. Yikes.

Then I asked my husband to use his power saw to cut up the huge pieces of frozen beef fat from the ½ cow that we purchased last year. That stuff has been taking up half of my freezer for far too long! Put it in the big turkey roaster during my lunch break, and I already have almost a gallon of rendered tallow, with got lots more still to come. I've been out of tallow for months, and refusing to buy it because I had this stuff to use up. Glad that I will now be able to add it back into my soap recipes!

Back