What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be added to my "not my smartest move" list:
Making the Taiwan swirl challenge soap today, used a glass straw to swirl it. When I removed it, of course the straw was full of soap batter so I looked at the top end, thought, "nah, I didn't touch that!" and blew the batter out. My lips immediately started tingling! 😂
Not to worry, they've been washed.
Only me!!

Im conflicted with this soap. I love the inner design and the top texture, but im not liking how short the mold is, and the shape the bars turned out.
bahama.jpg

Im conflicted with this soap. I love the inner design and the top texture, but im not liking how short the mold is, and the shape the bars turned out.
View attachment 54043

Very pretty. What type of mold did you use? I’m still grappling with settling on a consistent shape although my soaps all weigh pretty much the same.

Well... I’ve fallen off the wagon. It was a quiet morning and I was itching to make soap. Just a 40 oz batch. So I experimented with my recipe and 40% lye concentration. I used a new fragrance, Peppered Poppies from Nature’s Garden but reviews and tests said no acceleration or ricing. I soap at around 95 degrees. My batter still accelerated. Not horribly but enough to make my design difficult. I’m beginning to think my new kaolin clay is not kaolin clay... maybe next time I’ll leave it out and see...who knows what I’m doing wrong!
image.jpg

Very pretty. What type of mold did you use? I’m still grappling with settling on a consistent shape although my soaps all weigh pretty much the same.
Its an HDPE mold I just bought. The dimensions looked good online but then got it and discovered the bottom of the mold was recessed an inch from the bottom. CP always sticks to my silicone molds so I changed to this one..

Its an HDPE mold I just bought. The dimensions looked good online but then got it and discovered the bottom of the mold was recessed an inch from the bottom. CP always sticks to my silicone molds so I changed to this one..

Aaahhh...on another note,,,did you line it? So many people say they need to be lined, but I think with the right recipe and SL in the mix along with insuring gel that you shouldn’t need to. I have been tempted to try one.

Well... I’ve fallen off the wagon. It was a quiet morning and I was itching to make soap. Just a 40 oz batch. So I experimented with my recipe and 40% lye concentration. I used a new fragrance, Peppered Poppies from Nature’s Garden but reviews and tests said no acceleration or ricing. I soap at around 95 degrees. My batter still accelerated. Not horribly but enough to make my design difficult. I’m beginning to think my new kaolin clay is not kaolin clay... maybe next time I’ll leave it out and see...who knows what I’m doing wrong!
View attachment 54045
7DD78A9B-2D03-4F3A-9449-27FD1DA79604.jpeg
But it sure did harden up and unmold quickly... bonus!

Aaahhh...on another note,,,did you line it? So many people say they need to be lined, but I think with the right recipe and SL in the mix along with insuring gel that you shouldn’t need to. I have been tempted to try one.
The first batch, I didnt and I had to cut the soap from the bottom. The 2nd batch I did line. My recipe has a lot of hard oils and i use salt in the lye water

I made three batches this afternoon, all three with beef tallow. In two of them lard and coconut oil were added and one also contains sunflower oil. The third one is without coconut oil but I added sugar (first time in my soaping career :) ) Am looking forward to test and see if it increases bubbling.

Wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make a particular soap scraper. I may need a professional.
I've used this successfully for scrapers:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190?It's easily cut with scissors and even the smallest shapes hold up to scraping if the soap is still soft enough. Also, I know at least two SMF folks with 3d printers who might be open to making you more sturdy scrapers for a reasonable fee - just a thought towards "keeping it in the family" sort of thing. :)

Just finished with my challenge soap. It's a Fah-ncy Soap! Fun but stressful at the same time. I like the scent, 50/50 rosemary/bergamot with a titch of cedarwood. Was surprised that a "yellow" mica was actually orange which was not part of the vision. But still fun to try new things.
You’re yellow mica might morph back to yellow after saponification. I have one that does that. It’s like magic. Lol

Back