What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soap with ZCS after spending the night under an electric blanket!

Attachments

• 20201214_073834.jpg
    20201214_073834.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 12
And do you mean VCS? As in vanilla color stabilizer?
I believe ZCS is referring to the homemade VCS formula, as compiled and documented by @Todd Ziegler and others, so ZCS for Ziegler Color Stabilizer. Stabilizes Vanilla and seems to stabilize some other FO discoloration as well.

My 1st time making @Zany_in_CO no slime Castile. I added EDTA and Sodium Gluconate to the oils and used black pepper & bergamot FO. Fingers crossed it works with my addition of both chelators with a new recipe!😂🤦🏽‍♀️ I have tried SG and citric acid in a couple other recipes and had good luck but this is my 1st time using EDTA & SG together and it’s a 2374g batch! It traced and poured beautifully so I’m feeling optimistic. It’s wrapped in plastic and insulated right now, so I’ll post pics (good or bad) when cut. 🤞
2690FA8C-4E17-47B9-8C7C-E1A688F3743A.jpeg

I've been using Edta & Citric for a couple of years now - when my Edta is used up - I'm moving to Sodium Gluconate which I understand is better for the environment.
I had already ordered the EDTA when I discovered it’s not as good for the environment , so I’m going to use it up. We have horribly hard water here so I’m not sure SG alone is enough. I was thinking about using SG and citric acid but didn’t trust myself with the CA and lye math, being that this recipe is 0 sf. I took the “safer” route being that it was all a bit experimental. 😂

My 1st time making @Zany_in_CO no slime Castile. I added EDTA and Sodium Gluconate to the oils and used black pepper & bergamot FO. Fingers crossed it works with my addition of both chelators with a new recipe!😂🤦🏽‍♀️ I have tried SG and citric acid in a couple other recipes and had good luck but this is my 1st time using EDTA & SG together and it’s a 2374g batch! It traced and poured beautifully so I’m feeling optimistic. It’s wrapped in plastic and insulated right now, so I’ll post pics (good or bad) when cut. 🤞
Sounds great! This subject deserves its own thread, mentioning the use of "EDTA & Sodium Gluconate" along with "Zany's No Slime Castile" in the Title so others can learn from your experiment. Keep up the work! :thumbs:

Sounds great! This subject deserves its own thread, mentioning the use of "EDTA & Sodium Gluconate" along with "Zany's No Slime Castile" in the Title so others can learn from your experiment. Keep up the work! :thumbs:
I’m new to posting and figuring out how to use this forum, so I’m not even sure how to do that! I went DEEP down the rabbit hole of “Zany’s No Slime Castile “ last night!! 1:30 a.m. and then didn’t sleep because I was planning my soap all night!
I’m excited about this recipe! Thank you for sharing it after 12 years of experiments!

I had already ordered the EDTA when I discovered it’s not as good for the environment , so I’m going to use it up. We have horribly hard water here so I’m not sure SG alone is enough. I was thinking about using SG and citric acid but didn’t trust myself with the CA and lye math, being that this recipe is 0 sf. I took the “safer” route being that it was all a bit experimental. 😂
The math is easy - multiply your total oils by 0.02 (2%) I like to do this in grams. That is how much citric acid to use. Then once you have that number, divide by 10 and then multiply by 6 for the amount of extra NaOH to use. Example: On a 32 ounce oil batch, which is 907 grams. Multiply 907 by 0.02 = 18 grams of citric acid. Divide that by 10 and multiply by 6 = 10.8 grams of NaOH, I would probably round it up to 11.

The math is easy - multiply your total oils by 0.02 (2%) I like to do this in grams. That is how much citric acid to use. Then once you have that number, divide by 10 and then multiply by 6 for the amount of extra NaOH to use. Example: On a 32 ounce oil batch, which is 907 grams. Multiply 907 by 0.02 = 18 grams of citric acid. Divide that by 10 and multiply by 6 = 10.8 grams of NaOH, I would probably round it up to 11.
Thanks @linne1gi ! I have done the math with previous batches and been successful; I think I just felt like there wasn’t enough room for error in regard to lye impurities etc. due to this recipe being 0% SF. I’ll try it with a smaller batch at some point and maybe compare the 2 recipes. Maybe...🤪

My soaping misadventures have continued. I started off on making a hidden feather soap. I made one last year and wanted to make some changes to the feather color. Trouble is, I used a different (untried) soap recipe and new (untried) EOs. Patchouli was the new one. Basically everything I know better than to do. Sigh. As soon as I added the EOs into the main batter it accelerated like crazy. I never had that happen. I took out the dividers and just plopped the soap into the mold. It was so stiff that I created a scooped out channel and poured the rest of the batter to make the feather. Even the extra batter had a tragedy going into the oven. I was too flustered at that point. I think I’m just going to call this the 2020 series of soaps. 🙄
View attachment 52324View attachment 52325
View attachment 52326
It's still pretty, though its so frustrating when that happens.

Whew! I just spent the last few hours catching up on this thread! I'll try to keep up next time. Just cut this Lime, Basil and mandarin soap this morning. Was supposed to be a feather swirl but I forgot to use the base colour along the edges to pull the design inwards. Oh well - it's a very wide feather, LOL.
IMG_2824.jpg

Back