What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took out my jar of LS paste last night, mixed 14 ounces of it with equal part distilled water, and it's almost all dissolved tonight. I didn't put any borax or anything this time, except some Bergamot EO (one of my favorites), and did not get any foam head this time. Hmmm, I thought that 'head' could always be expected, but I guess not! :)

20190311_LS 2nd diluted part 203540-1.jpg
[Yes, my Ball jar is green.]

Last edited:
Took out my jar of LS paste last night, mixed 4 ounces of it with equal part distilled water, and it's almost all dissolved tonight. I didn't put any borax or anything this time, except some Bergamot EO (one of my favorites), and did not get any foam head this time. Hmmm, I thought that 'head' could always be expected, but I guess not! :)

View attachment 37433 [Yes, my Ball jar is green.]
Pardon my ignorance. What is LS paste?

I am really loving do swirls these days. The cut of Pineapple Cilantro View attachment 37432
Beautiful. You nailed the colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was inspired by the salt bar thread today, and made my first 50% salt bars. I wasn't going to tackle cutting them in time, so I opted to put them into single cavity molds. Now just waiting to unmold them. I might just do it tomorrow since it's already late here.

Pardon my ignorance. What is LS paste?
LS = Liquid Soap

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got the app to work on my phone so here's the photos of my latest soapy endeavor: Pear OMH made with ground oatmeal, buttermilk, and honey. Used my 1% stearic acid recipe.
View attachment 37459View attachment 37460

Next project will be video editing.
Very nice! And you just reminded me to tackle oatmeal. It's been on my to do list and I just keep forgetting.

I finally made beer soap, after getting my beer ready two days ago and not getting time to soap. It's past midnight so I'll post the cut tomorrow. Here's the yummy smelling batter though. Too bad it doesn't stay. Nice n fluid. I'm happy.
_20190314_003820.JPG

I made a Castile type soap, and grated up some utility bars for laundry. Oh, and I did laundry. No scent no dye and the clothes had no smell. It was weirdly wonderful!

Ok, technically there may have been some dye in the one bar I shredded, but very little. Most the other utility bars have some colorant.

Last edited:
I worked on my Avocado Soap. Made two different batches. The 3rd photo their all from the same batch it seized up on me because of EO had to work fast got a lil burnt along the way with the last photo one, nothing serious but it stinged . Also got new gloves after that are more easier to keep on and manage while working.
IMG_20190313_180255_285.jpeg
20190313_110200.jpeg
20190313_111605.jpeg

I worked on my Avocado Soap. Made two different batches. The 3rd photo their all from the same batch it seized up on me because of EO had to work fast got a lil burnt along the way with the last photo one, nothing serious but it stinged . Also got new gloves after that are more easier to keep on and manage while working. View attachment 37502View attachment 37503View attachment 37504

Gosh, those are lovely! Your stamp is super cute!! Is that a hedgehog? Love it to death! :) I want a stamp some day -- need to shop the possibilities now because I'm so inspired by your little critter!! :D

I worked on my Avocado Soap. Made two different batches. The 3rd photo their all from the same batch it seized up on me because of EO had to work fast got a lil burnt along the way with the last photo one, nothing serious but it stinged . Also got new gloves after that are more easier to keep on and manage while working. View attachment 37502View attachment 37503View attachment 37504
Very cute! Love the look of your soap. How did you get the little spotty bits - are they oatmeal?

Unmolded my 'lemon Castile' soap. Seriously, why do I say yes to mystery oils?!?!?!?!?!? I *think* it was oo. Super soft, smells like lemon chiffon, and I didn't add any smells or flavoring! Read six books on soap making from kindle unlimited (I feel like I read one book six times). Became mortified over melt and pour ingredients, rolled my eyes over people not understanding the relationship between lye and fats in soap and convinced my aging father to use my utility soap in his laundry. I need people to use it so I can make more. And plotting a swirl pour later today.

I may have a soap problem.

Moved soap around--needed to get it out of my soaping area--so upstairs it went. only have my very latest soap downtstairs. now I have room for more, which I am currently thinking about getting up and doing

I'm trying a new recipe. Coconut oil, Shea butter and cocoa butter for the hard oils. Very keen to see if it's going to be lovely. I've been using vegetable oil to replace palm, but I understand only recently, that that's palm oil - I'm mortified.
20190315_090950.jpg

I'm trying a new recipe. Coconut oil, Shea butter and cocoa butter for the hard oils. Very keen to see if it's going to be lovely. I've been using vegetable oil to replace palm, but I understand only recently, that that's palm oil - I'm mortified.
View attachment 37508
Cute soaps! What were your soft oils?
It will be lovely. All my soaps bar the ones with lard have those three as hard oils too and they feel very nice I must say.

DFB14E6C-6166-450F-8188-6C5F10BEF4AB.jpeg
Curious how you use a lye calculator when you don't know what oil(s) you're using? o_O
Well, I aim for an excess of lye. I’m pretty sure it was oo, at least that’s what I think she said it was.
Since it’s older oil, I want to make sure all the oil is completely saponified. Since most oils with similar density and properties have relatively similar sap numbers, aiming for a -2% to -5% SF will ensure that most if not all will be saponified. I could have gone for a -20%, being that I believe it to be all oo, but not completely sure, went for a much smaller excess, plus I added some other oils: coconut and castor.
The lye will eventually lessen over time, leaving delicious bars of pure soap. No scent, except for random lemon scent that was unplanned.
And no, I’m not selling my soap. It’s mine!

My precious.

Latest posts

Back