What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 14, 2019 #10,861

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Supporting Member

I made a Castile type soap, and grated up some utility bars for laundry. Oh, and I did laundry. No scent no dye and the clothes had no smell. It was weirdly wonderful!

Ok, technically there may have been some dye in the one bar I shredded, but very little. Most the other utility bars have some colorant.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Nanette, Dawni, Meena and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mar 14, 2019 #10,862

katemz

katemz

katemz

Supporting Member

I worked on my Avocado Soap. Made two different batches. The 3rd photo their all from the same batch it seized up on me because of EO had to work fast got a lil burnt along the way with the last photo one, nothing serious but it stinged . Also got new gloves after that are more easier to keep on and manage while working. IMG_20190313_180255_285.jpeg 20190313_110200.jpeg 20190313_111605.jpeg

Nanette, Dawni, SoapySuds and 4 others like this.
  3. Mar 14, 2019 #10,863

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Gosh, those are lovely! Your stamp is super cute!! Is that a hedgehog? Love it to death! :) I want a stamp some day -- need to shop the possibilities now because I'm so inspired by your little critter!! :D

Nanette likes this.
  4. Mar 14, 2019 #10,864

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Very cute! Love the look of your soap. How did you get the little spotty bits - are they oatmeal?

5. Mar 14, 2019 #10,865

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Supporting Member

Unmolded my 'lemon Castile' soap. Seriously, why do I say yes to mystery oils?!?!?!?!?!? I *think* it was oo. Super soft, smells like lemon chiffon, and I didn't add any smells or flavoring! Read six books on soap making from kindle unlimited (I feel like I read one book six times). Became mortified over melt and pour ingredients, rolled my eyes over people not understanding the relationship between lye and fats in soap and convinced my aging father to use my utility soap in his laundry. I need people to use it so I can make more. And plotting a swirl pour later today.

I may have a soap problem.

Nanette, SYT, SaltedFig and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mar 14, 2019 #10,866

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Moved soap around--needed to get it out of my soaping area--so upstairs it went. only have my very latest soap downtstairs. now I have room for more, which I am currently thinking about getting up and doing

SoapySuds likes this.
  7. Mar 14, 2019 #10,867

Aquamarine56

Aquamarine56

Aquamarine56

I'm trying a new recipe. Coconut oil, Shea butter and cocoa butter for the hard oils. Very keen to see if it's going to be lovely. I've been using vegetable oil to replace palm, but I understand only recently, that that's palm oil - I'm mortified.
    20190315_090950.jpg

SoapySuds likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2019 #10,868

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

Cute soaps! What were your soft oils?
    It will be lovely. All my soaps bar the ones with lard have those three as hard oils too and they feel very nice I must say.

9. Mar 15, 2019 #10,869

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Nice moulds!

10. Mar 15, 2019 #10,870

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Curious how you use a lye calculator when you don't know what oil(s) you're using? o_O

11. Mar 15, 2019 #10,871

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Supporting Member

DFB14E6C-6166-450F-8188-6C5F10BEF4AB.jpeg
    Well, I aim for an excess of lye. I’m pretty sure it was oo, at least that’s what I think she said it was.
    Since it’s older oil, I want to make sure all the oil is completely saponified. Since most oils with similar density and properties have relatively similar sap numbers, aiming for a -2% to -5% SF will ensure that most if not all will be saponified. I could have gone for a -20%, being that I believe it to be all oo, but not completely sure, went for a much smaller excess, plus I added some other oils: coconut and castor.
    The lye will eventually lessen over time, leaving delicious bars of pure soap. No scent, except for random lemon scent that was unplanned.
    And no, I’m not selling my soap. It’s mine!

My precious.

Marilyn Norgart, SYT and KiwiMoose like this.
  12. Mar 15, 2019 #10,872

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Soap problem? I don't think you have a soap problem! Is there such a thing as a soap problem? I am sure no one on this forum has a soap problem.

Meena, Zing, Nanette and 5 others like this.
  13. Mar 15, 2019 #10,873

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Finished beveling and shrink wrapping my 300 bars of soap. I have plans to get at least 6 more batches done this weekend, maybe 12 if I get lucky. That will give me a good lead for upcoming shows. I also want to try making a soap that was mentioned in another thread. 2 different types of soap in one bar. I'm going to make one of my regular recipes then once set put a salt soap on top of it. I figure doing the regular recipe first and letting it do it's thing, once I put the salt soap on top I should be able to cut it in about 2.5-3 hours. Hopefully I'll find time to do this.

14. Mar 15, 2019 #10,874

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Supporting Member

1A64F82B-C6B5-4DDC-A6EA-889ECBD54E8C.jpeg I found a small box of the first soap I ever made. I have dubbed it: Original Soap. I was sure I had used all of that soap. Apparently not. It’s hard. Smells like unflavored soap (shhh nobody eats soap). And it keeps appearing, like a nun’s bad habit.

Is it possible for DOS to be one giant DOS? nah, it’s unexpected colorant! Yes... yess... unexpected color.... let your soap sit for years and it colors itself! Yes... colors itself...

That’s my utility soap experiment underneath. It’s a lot. I need to convince my sister to use my utility soap for laundry. Yes... my next plan.

I didn’t do a swirl yesterday, but I did convince my handy neighbor and his power tools to repurpose some wood into a soap form. I may have traded some cheesegrater soap for some screws, time, and a hinge.... and as my husband confessed, the cheese grater soap is actually good soap, once you get around the giant chunks of steel cut oats.

15. Mar 15, 2019 #10,875

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

Oooh! Let me know how this goes! I tried it once with a cupcake: Salt bar in the base and regular CP piped on top. It's the only time I've ever had cupcakes separate, so I assumed the two would not stick. Now I'm wondering if I had done the reverse, if they would have stuck... like maybe there's some magic in the timing of which is poured what. (Please tell me you know what I mean and that I do not sound like a rambling drunk who started with his wife leaving him and ended with a duck crossing the road...)

My tallow and cocoa butter order came in yesterday. I'm hoping work is slow enough today that I can leave work at noon. I'd like to get the cocoa butter tempered and portioned out, maybe even start getting the tallow portioned into baggies for masterbatching. This is my first time buying a huge 50lb block of tallow, so I was a tad bit shocked when I saw it! And... now I just realized that said 50lb block is sitting in the porch and there is no way I'm going to be able to lift it to the kitchen, much less get it down to the soap dungeon, so I'm probably going to have to wait for hubby to get home to tackle that.

Hubby and I are off for a weekend trip, so no soapy stuff happening this weekend. Next week will probably be packaging some soap, and maybe working on some soapy projects. I want to revisit the water absorption test, maybe do a side by side of castile, bastille, and the no-slime castile to test curing times (although I don't know how well that will really go, given that I didn't manage to revisit the water absorption test I was doing...), and make some small test batches of soap for a few FO's I have hanging around. And still need to edit those dang videos...

16. Mar 15, 2019 #10,876

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

SoapySuds

Supporting Member

You had me at ‘soap dungeon’

:lol::lol:

I have a friend that asks me why I buy in super large quantities, 10lbs of cocoa butter, 20 packages of vegan chocolate chips, 35lb boxes of coconut oil that will never be liquid in my soap dungeon.... Seriously, I’m stealing that term.

SideDoorSoaps, Zing and Nanette like this.
  17. Mar 15, 2019 #10,877

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

At 70 my 50lb boxes of lard and tallow are getting harder to get down 14 steps to my house, but I do still make it. Will see what happens at 71 :D Biggest problem I find with the boxes is they are just so bulky and hard to hold onto, mine are square boxes.

I once again have made no soap and customers are starting to ask if I am going out of business. I have to get my mom and sister out of my mind and make product.

18. Mar 15, 2019 #10,878

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

@cmzaha I hope things get better for you soon! You've been in my thoughts.

@amd I'm hoping by making and gelling my regular recipe then adding the salt soap and hoping it gels will keep them adhered. We'll see.

amd likes this.
  19. Mar 15, 2019 #10,879

SYT

SYT

SYT

Thankful to learn from you all. Supporting Member

Not soaping today, we are heading to a cousins reunion this weekend. My sample FO's arrived yesterday and I'm looking forward to using some next week. :D

SoapySuds likes this.
  20. Mar 15, 2019 #10,880

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Your bars look very nice. But hopefully you did not grind up the avocado skin to use in the soap since it gets very scratchy. Did you use AVO puree along AVO oil?

I'm hoping by making and gelling my regular recipe then adding the salt soap and hoping it gels will keep them adhered. We'll see.

@shunt I used to make a layered soap with a salt soap being a little over 1/4 of the bar. I would make my regular soap using a hard tallow/lard recipe, pour in the mold holding back a little for a thin layer on top of the salt layer. I then mixed up the salt bar layer separately and poured it over the regular soap, poured on the thin layer and fully gelled it. I had to use a hard fast setting up formula for the regular because they still had to be cut soon like a salt bar or pour them in individual molds. They actually sold real well but just got tired of fussing with them.

shunt2011 likes this.