What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been working crazy 12 and 13 hour days and came down with the latest version of ebola (killer cold) but I am FINALLY making soap and lotion today after I whip my soaping area into shape. I ordered new lotion fragrances yesterday and as usually, it feels like forever till they get here.

Wow... one good soap yesterday and one uncooperative soap today. What was supposed to be green turned to mustard colour. Added the fragrance and it accelerated (it didn't last time I used it). My mold is overflowing; the base soap is liquid, the colour swirls almost solid already. I think I might have to go back to beginner status. I am NOT amused.

No more heat and seemed set up, so unmolded and free-hand cut (obviously!) my first ever soap batch, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :hippo: Feels wonderfully creamy! Took a bit that was stuck to the freezer paper, added water, and man it made my hands feel great! Maybe I won't need to use 2 ounces of lotion after a shower with this. Can't wait to try it (but I will).

1st lesson learned: Make sure soap is sitting on a level surface during saponification.
lesson 2: make or get a cutting guide/apparatus :D

2019-0113_cut 133842.jpg 2019-0113_fresh cut 133144.jpg

No more heat and seemed set up, so unmolded and free-hand cut (obviously!) my first ever soap batch, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :hippo: Feels wonderfully creamy! Took a bit that was stuck to the freezer paper, added water, and man it made my hands feel great! Maybe I won't need to use 2 ounces of lotion after a shower with this. Can't wait to try it (but I will).

1st lesson learned: Make sure soap is sitting on a level surface during saponification.

View attachment 35045 View attachment 35046

Should have mentioned that i tested for 'zap' before unmolding. :) zero zap

@Meena , the purpose of the plastic wrap is to prevent ash (a white powdery film that is harmless and it's just a cosmetic thing). After pouring, I put plastic wrap on my mold, then cardboard, then towels. I don't get ash.

Awesome, thanks for that information!

I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger and buy the KD8000 scale. Don't know why. If my old Escali would just up and crap out it would be no problem. It just stares at me as if it knows and is saying "I know, you just want to kick me to the curb and go with that sweet new thing, all shiny and cute".

I have nothing to compare it to, soap-wise, but I was very happy with it yesterday. I have a deal-Maker for you, possibly, and it is this: Can you measure all your oils in a single beaker/container, taring out between each? Because this feature alone is stellar. :) Hope i was clear, but in case not, just ask and i'll try to paint a better picture.

Can you measure all your oils in a single beaker/container, taring out between each? Because this feature alone is stellar. :) Hope i was clear, but in case not, just ask and i'll try to paint a better picture.
I think this is a pretty standard feature but that strategy was one that my soap workshop instructor cautioned against, especially for liquid oils... If you pour too much castor oil into your olive oil, it's really hard to get it out .. Back to SoapCalc.....

More photos: Picture of the trace I got and the split; soap in mold after scraping out/adding a few more bits of soap; 1st pass clean-up and now just sitting. View attachment 35013 View attachment 35014View attachment 35015
good job!! post pics after you cut :)

very pretty congrats!!!

I have nothing to compare it to, soap-wise, but I was very happy with it yesterday. I have a deal-Maker for you, possibly, and it is this: Can you measure all your oils in a single beaker/container, taring out between each? Because this feature alone is stellar. :) Hope i was clear, but in case not, just ask and i'll try to paint a better picture.
Meena, I use the tare button when measuring the hard oils. If I put a little too much cocoa butter in with the coconut oil, it's easy enough to take a little back out. Sometimes I live on the wild side and tare with the soft oils. But I pour very, very, very slowly.

Making Confetti Soap tonight! I decided on a floral fragrance - a mix of any sweet smelling fragrances I have (lilac, fairy garden, honeysuckle, jasmine, ginger lime, vanilla). I paid NO ATTENTION to acceleration notes on the bottle! Nor did I pay attention to discoloration! I’m using TD to hopefully whiten the background/base. Fingers crossed! It could be a masterpiece or a total disaster!

Edit: Soap cut and I’m really happy with it!

80B110B7-F05E-4497-8053-EAB7DC8EAB7B.jpeg

Last edited:

So purty!

I took another peek at the rosehip soap and it is not yet ready to unmold. Hate being patient. BUT, weird (expected) thing: When I made the batter and put the rosehip in, the batter color stayed unchanged. Now it is brick red. Wicky-wicky-what?!

And labeled two bars for a friend's birthday.

I took another peek at the rosehip soap and it is not yet ready to unmold. Hate being patient. BUT, weird (expected) thing: When I made the batter and put the rosehip in, the batter color stayed unchanged. Now it is brick red. Wicky-wicky-what?!

And labeled two bars for a friend's birthday.
According to Brambleberry this is normal. I want to try it. Can’t wait to see how it looks.

https://www.brambleberry.com/rosehip-powder-p6814.aspx

U

The Escali does have a tare function. I use it for all oils hard and soft in a single container. Always have. With soft oils I pour slowly, very slowly and the total weight is usually pretty close to the soapcalc total. At least as much maybe a tad over. Sometimes two tads. I wonder if I used separate small containers for soft oils how much I would leave behind when pouring into the pot? A gram? More? Less? One for all and all for one pot has never been a problem for me.

Making Confetti Soap tonight! I decided on a floral fragrance - a mix of any sweet smelling fragrances I have (lilac, fairy garden, honeysuckle, jasmine, ginger lime, vanilla). I paid NO ATTENTION to acceleration notes on the bottle! Nor did I pay attention to discoloration! I’m using TD to hopefully whiten the background/base. Fingers crossed! It could be a masterpiece or a total disaster!
I like your style.

Latest posts

Back