What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 #9,401

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

More photos: Picture of the trace I got and the split; soap in mold after scraping out/adding a few more bits of soap; 1st pass clean-up and now just sitting. 2019-01-12_trace.jpg 2019-01-12_soap in mold 2.jpg 2019-01-12_1st pass cleanup.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Jan 13, 2019 #9,402

mulline

mulline

mulline

Thanks :) I put the rope in with a crochet needle after 3 days , there is a knot at the bottom :)

MissLinda likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 #9,403

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

Looking very good especially for a first try. When i want to gel i have a set of shelves with one shelf for the leaving of freshly made soap. i put 2 towels that fit all way around the molds underneath then iv been using bubble wrap because i dont like using cling film as its a waste of plastic and bubble wrap iv got about 10 uses out of it i am going to make a wooden lid for each of the loaf molds then i just place 2 more smaller towels on the top so they cover the ends if that makes sense? i could take a photo of this if you want?

As far as a little mixer for the mica a little hand held milk frother is fine thats what iv been using and from what iv read plenty others do too. Personally i find a inferred thermometer invaluable in checking temps but i do also make candles and melts which temps need checking with so it was worth the cost for me. some people dont even take temps though

Meena likes this.
  4. Jan 13, 2019 #9,404

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Thank you! I was going to put a piece of plastic wrap first, and then the towel, but I wasn't sure if the plastic would create some issue like mold, DOS, or some other effect from cutting down on the breathability of the batter?

I looked at a mini-frother yesterday, about $10. Probably cheaper than a tool from BB! :D

5. Jan 13, 2019 #9,405

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Mold is sitting on my desk, covered with a cotton bath rug. Should I check for gel phase after a certain amount of time? I recall reading that gel phase isn't necessary and doesn't always occur -- is that true? If I look at it tomorrow around 4 p.m. and I see something that looks like gel, I leave it for another day?

6. Jan 13, 2019 #9,406

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

Dont know about brambleberry i know of it but never looked into what they sell because im in England. I got my mini frother for about 3£ from amazon but it was ikea branded so if you have one nearby would be worth a look if they sell em.

Well iv seen people putting card and you can get lids and they wouldnt breathe either the reason im going for wood soon is because iv got some laminate flooring offcuts ill never use and because sometimes iv not wrapped the bubblewrap properly and its sunk into the batter which doesnt really matter except for astetics but i can just trim that at some point if i really want to. Also i have found the bubble wrap unnessicary faffy so a lid should make it easier.

When i wrap mine even when i use just a light trace i can usually unmold in less than 24 hours but ill usually only cut after 48 hours i dont personally check if its gelled but i use the same recipe most the time so i know it should if i treat it the same or thats how its worked for me so far. Only time iv not gelled in the time i have fully understood what it was, was when i made a goats milk one i put a few sheets of paper towel on the shelf and carefully put the mold in the fridge for about 18 hours think i might of put beeswax in that too so was scared it would overheat even left in a warm room and had read warnings and tips that you can fridge it. Think that one started to crack just while i was prepping the fridge and doing a few other jobs.

Meena likes this.
  7. Jan 13, 2019 #9,407

Zing

Zing

Zing

@Deborah Long , I have long been intrigued by 100% coconut oil -- please update us in 6 weeks! And good job on getting to emulsion! Just a question and no offense intended, but were these micas for cold process soap? I'm just asking because my micas never behave badly -- it's the oxides and other colorants that always surprise me. I too have seen a wood grain swirl and someday hope to try that!!

8. Jan 13, 2019 #9,408

Zing

Zing

Zing

@mulline , that peppermint is gorgeous! Is that a hanger swirl?! I'm trying to figure out how you did it.

mulline likes this.
  9. Jan 13, 2019 #9,409

Zing

Zing

Zing

@Meena , watch out, this is how it all begins....
    Way to go, and 2 colors on your first time?! Overachiever! And sandalwood is hands down my favorite but out of my budget -- if you got a good price, let me know your source.

Gelling isn't necessary but gelling makes the colors "pop" and unmold quicker. After pouring into the mold, I lift up a corner of the towel covering the mold every couple of hours and if it feels warm (it can get really warm), then it's gelling. I wait 24 hours and if it's still warm, I keep it covered another night.

I don't know what kind of mold you are using, I have silicone loafs. You can tell if it's ready to unmold if you gently pull the side away from the soap -- if it pulls completely away, it's ready; if there's still a tight seal between soap and mold, wait another 24 hours.

For micas, I've long been fine with just dumping the micas directly into the batter and have never had clumps. I've used other colorants that need to get dispersed in oil first and, just personally, find it too "fussy" so I usually always just use micas or other naturals (like paprika).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Alfa_Lazcares and Meena like this.
  10. Jan 13, 2019 #9,410

Hendejm

Hendejm

Hendejm

I generally wait only about 8 hrs before unmolding. Then I let it sit another few hours and then I cut the loaf. I mostly get full gel even when I don’t want it!

Meena likes this.
  11. Jan 13, 2019 #9,411

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I'm in Canada and only buy from Canadian suppliers (that's the qualifier here). I bought a Sandalwood FO from Candora that I quite like. I also have a little (a very little) of Sandalwood EO left and they're pretty close. The FO is also a lot easier on the pocketbook.

Zing likes this.
  12. Jan 13, 2019 #9,412

Zing

Zing

Zing

@Meena , the purpose of the plastic wrap is to prevent ash (a white powdery film that is harmless and it's just a cosmetic thing). After pouring, I put plastic wrap on my mold, then cardboard, then towels. I don't get ash.

Meena likes this.
  13. Jan 13, 2019 #9,413

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I usually do what Zing does. If my soap is still warm, it stays in the mold and usually under cover. I have a somewhat different method of covering my soaps. I have two wooden boxes, made of 1" thick plywood/MDF; I put the soap mold in one, lined with a wash cloth and place the second one over it. (Some of my soaps have higher tops that the depth of the box.) Once it's cool, I remove it from the mold and cut it. That said, it depends on the soap recipe, too. I have a couple of recipes that get pretty hard and need to be cut sooner rather than later. Those I'll remove when they're still slightly warm to the touch and allow them to cool down, then cut.

Soaps made in cavity molds, I will remove once they're hard. I also don't gel soaps in cavity molds.

Meena likes this.
  14. Jan 13, 2019 #9,414

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

I keep getting ash regardless of alcohol sprayed and wrapping it in bubble wrap then towels maybe i should be a bit more patient and leave it wrapped for long. Tbh i really dont mind ash as long as it only develops on the top ect i think it looks pretty nice. And as misschief said before about air bubbles it just shows its treuly hand made.

Edit. Sounds like i might be uncovering it too soon as sometimes its still warm but i leave it out and thinking about it thats when iv got the worse cases of soda ash. Iv not been unmolding it while warm just havnt recovered it and left it on my soaping desk

Meena likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2019 #9,415

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Thanks for all this. :)

Found my receipt and the sandalwood was $13.49 at Natural Grocers. Was surprised -- must not have 'noticed', which happens sometimes. Sort of a 'whim' purchase.

Using a homemade wood mold lined with freezer paper. I will do your tests and hope i can detect 'warm'. :)

I'm going to try paprika one of these times! It should go well with calendula flowers.

16. Jan 13, 2019 #9,416

MissLinda

MissLinda

MissLinda

Meena, you made a beautiful soap! You are much braver than I was with my first soaps. It was quite a while before I tried adding colors.

Meena likes this.
  17. Jan 13, 2019 #9,417

MissLinda

MissLinda

MissLinda

I made two 4 lb wood soap molds today. Daughter had 4 pine bed slats headed to the trash. I grabbed them. They're somewhat warped & not pretty, but they work for me. After the two molds today, I still have two boards left. Will likely make a slab mold after seeing Zing's beautiful soap she made in a box. Will have to glue some pieces together for the bottom. Since I'm out of lye & don't get paid until Wednesday, it will be a good way to keep me on the soaping trail.

Meena and SaltedFig like this.
  18. Jan 13, 2019 #9,418

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I made that mistake..... once. Zing does take offense at generalizations. Zing is HE. ;)

Chris_S, MissLinda and Zing like this.
  19. Jan 13, 2019 #9,419

MissLinda

MissLinda

MissLinda

Thanks for the correction, Misschief. I just realized the soap I was talking about was actually created by KiwiMoose. I've never been accused of being the brightest crayon in the box. ;-)

Meena and Zing like this.
  20. Jan 13, 2019 #9,420

JasmineTea

JasmineTea

JasmineTea

Supporting Member

Made Lemon Sweet Tea salt bars, with 2.8% beeswax. FO is from WSP.

Jeboz, MissLinda and KiwiMoose like this.