What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 #9,421

Dennis

Dennis

Dennis

Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm. Well, I perused Peak fragrance oils, read up on different methods, found a container and put it in the car for tomorrow's road trip to the beach for some sea water. Should have gone yesterday but trip was cut short by a visit to a new pizza joint. They won't be there long I suspect.
    I ordered coconut oil, lard, shea butter, vegetable shortening (palm), and checked on olive oil. Gotta watch those prices. I used to buy the big jug as it was cheaper after per ounce calculation. Now, the 101oz jug is the most expensive ($0.20/oz) and the cheapest ($0.14/oz) is the 25oz bottle. Gotta watch em. Has anyone used the African Shea Butter from WalMart? I'm taking the chance.
    I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger and buy the KD8000 scale. Don't know why. If my old Escali would just up and crap out it would be no problem. It just stares at me as if it knows and is saying "I know, you just want to kick me to the curb and go with that sweet new thing, all shiny and cute". Actually I'm just frugal and don't need it but want it. It's a short run from frugal, to thrifty to CHEAP.
    It's not soap, but the Santos Tour Down Under comes on at midnight here. Gotta watch.

cmzaha likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2019 #9,422

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

Doing a massive (belated) clean out ... and while I was moving things around I managed to topple 8 or so bars from one batch ... to the floor :rolleyes:
    Upside => I didn't feel the slightest twinge of disappointment ... they are in my personal soap stash now :D

@Meena Congratulations!!!
    I can't wait to see the cut pictures!
    (Sorry I missed this this morning, I was watching the wrong thread for your first soap photo's :oops:)

Jeboz, Meena and MissLinda like this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 #9,423

Suzy Knight

Suzy Knight

Suzy Knight

Yesterday I made a batch of my cocoa rose soap for a Valentine's day gift.

Attached Files:

Jeboz, Meena and KiwiMoose like this.
  4. Jan 13, 2019 #9,424

Zing

Zing

Zing

I'm happy to take full credit for @KiwiMoose 's designs anytime!

SaltedFig, MissLinda and KiwiMoose like this.
  5. Jan 13, 2019 #9,425

MGM

MGM

MGM

Yay! It's gonna be great! and will probably smell fantastic. I'm another one who can't afford Sandalwood EO -- even my cheap NDA store sells it for between $57 and $72/ teaspoon. That's very surprising that you got a large amount for $15. Luckily the NDA FO of Sandalwood is swoon-worthy!

Can't wait to see more photos!

Meena likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2019 #9,426

MGM

MGM

MGM

Shampoo bar update!
    Couldn't wait 4-6 weeks for it to cure, so I tried one last night in the shower to see how it performed. IT WAS THE BEST SHAMPOO BAR I'VE EVER USED! (It was the only shampoo bar I've ever used :p )

Lathered nicely and was easy to get through my hair. I decided to do a vinegar rinse, as I recalled reading about that....but it's not like I arranged ahead of time to make up a vinegar & water rinse to use properly...I made one of the kids bring me the bottle of vinegar in the shower and slopped it on. So it was less a a rinse and more of a "oh wow, you just put full-strength vinegar on these two parts of your head. good luck with that." And then, I went out for the evening, so I couldn't even keep track of what my hair was doing and how it reacted to the shampoo. And I mean, I went *straight* out...didn't even dry my hair. And I was walking to my event. And it was -18C :)

You guys are going to get the idea that I'm not very good at planning ahead...alarming (amusing?) to think that a significant part of my day job is project management....

So anyway, initial reports are good! The fragrance was great, although I really only noticed the orange-ginger FO: the additional cedarwood, patchouli, and (earthy) ginger EOs that I added were lost (or just too subtle).

I have some technical questions about my process, but I think I'll put them in the newbie forum.

Meena and KiwiMoose like this.
  7. Jan 13, 2019 #9,427

MGM

MGM

MGM

Yes, you guessed it exactly! I got a 120g tub of it from NDA before they stopped selling it, and a little goes a long way, so I may need to put it in everything. I do like it though. Funny that you and I were making orange-patchouli soap with the same colours at the same time....except that my patchouli fragrance disappeared. Oh well...the mica will remind me....

KiwiMoose likes this.
  8. Jan 13, 2019 #9,428

MGM

MGM

MGM

Wow, you are clearly a pro.....pouring soap and not even fussing over it like the rest of us! :p Do you teach soap-making, too?

9. Jan 13, 2019 #9,429

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Deborah Long

Lifetime Supporter

We may never know! I got them for Christmas from my husband who bought them from Amazon and there was nothing in the box they came in that said. They did mention good in soap, however, so I took that to mean 'good for Deb's CP'! lol

Honestly, I should have whisked them in, instead of sb, but I wanted to get to the pour! lol They *may* have stayed a little more fluid that way. And thanks! I am still so happy that I can get to emulsion and recognize that and then go from there. I WILL be doing this again!

Zing likes this.
  10. Jan 13, 2019 #9,430

Dean

Dean

Dean

Woke up and poked my @Zany_in_CO Zea Zoaps while the coffee brewed. Rock hard in less than 24 hrs but they do have 15% CB. Will unmold later.

Meena, KiwiMoose and Zany_in_CO like this.
  11. Jan 13, 2019 #9,431

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I unmolded my Salt bars this morning. I'm really liking the shape of the bars with my new molds. They fit very nicely in the hand. The new mold soaps are the ones at the left.
    20190113_084925_HDR.jpg

Jeboz, SaltedFig, Meena and 5 others like this.
  12. Jan 13, 2019 #9,432

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

01356055-4FB8-4818-BF1E-78CE90103780.jpeg Some supplies arrived this morning ready for my dotty challenge...

13. Jan 13, 2019 #9,433

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Ive been working crazy 12 and 13 hour days and came down with the latest version of ebola (killer cold) but I am FINALLY making soap and lotion today after I whip my soaping area into shape. I ordered new lotion fragrances yesterday and as usually, it feels like forever till they get here.

14. Jan 13, 2019 #9,434

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Oh they ARE lovely. Really liking the plain white. It's looks fresh and, well, clean!

Misschief likes this.
  15. Jan 13, 2019 #9,435

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

Wow... one good soap yesterday and one uncooperative soap today. What was supposed to be green turned to mustard colour. Added the fragrance and it accelerated (it didn't last time I used it). My mold is overflowing; the base soap is liquid, the colour swirls almost solid already. I think I might have to go back to beginner status. I am NOT amused.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  16. Jan 13, 2019 #9,436

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

No more heat and seemed set up, so unmolded and free-hand cut (obviously!) my first ever soap batch, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :hippo: Feels wonderfully creamy! Took a bit that was stuck to the freezer paper, added water, and man it made my hands feel great! Maybe I won't need to use 2 ounces of lotion after a shower with this. Can't wait to try it (but I will).

1st lesson learned: Make sure soap is sitting on a level surface during saponification.
    lesson 2: make or get a cutting guide/apparatus :D

2019-0113_cut 133842.jpg 2019-0113_fresh cut 133144.jpg

Martha, Jeboz, zanzalawi and 3 others like this.
  17. Jan 13, 2019 #9,437

mulline

mulline

mulline

18. Jan 13, 2019 #9,438

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Should have mentioned that i tested for 'zap' before unmolding. :) zero zap

19. Jan 13, 2019 #9,439

Meena