What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to hand-stir a little half-pound batch to have fun swirling with. It worked great and I think my swirl is gonna turn out, but I did spill a bunch of Eucalyptus & Mint FO all over my counter...so now my entire house smells like a cough drop XD

Can't open the windows cuz it's about 115 degrees (heat index) outside so I'll just have to deal with VERY clear sinuses and hope BF has been feeling a little stuffy lol!!!

I made beer soap on Weds. It went very well - even though I was unsure about the FO. It seemed like the reviews were split between it not accelerating and it would accelerate, so I took a chance. Glad that I did because it smells amazing with the beer! The soap color leaves a bit to be desired, the FO discolors to a light tan so I'm hoping that after the discoloration the gold will pop back up. If it doesn't, lesson learned. Maybe next time I'll use an orange or a brown instead.

Went to the Thursday night market. I'm thinking that people do not come there to shop, and when they do shop they only want food and drinks. No one wants soap, jewelry, or handmade knick knacks. Sucks for me and a few other vendors. I sold 3 bars the first week, 1 bar last week and zero bars last night. Oh well, it's free and I would be there anyways...

The beer soap, made with a local brewery lager and ESP cinnamon & Amber Type FO.
IMG_20180628_224834_197.jpeg
IMG_20180627_224608_237.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been waiting patiently to unmold a soap- I’d poured it into pvc pipe lined with a flexible cutting board
After 6 days it still wasn’t releasing nicely- and if I tried to force it- well, it looked just like peeling a bioré pore strip off your nose [emoji1]
We did battle!
The cutting board fought valiantly but was ultimately defeated!

I’ve been waiting patiently to unmold a soap- I’d poured it into pvc pipe lined with a flexible cutting board
After 6 days it still wasn’t releasing nicely- and if I tried to force it- well, it looked just like peeling a bioré pore strip off your nose [emoji1]
We did battle!
The cutting board fought valiantly but was ultimately defeated!

I can picture the victory dance! :dance:

I made another batch of soap today. This time, it's Green Tea and Lemongrass with Aztec Gold mica lines. I had just managed to get it in the mold when my daughter called. It seems my grandson may have broken his hand yesterday; he fell. She wanted to know if she should take him in to have it checked out, hoping I'd say no. I said yes. Then, I finished decorating the top. Boys! (he's 9)

Made a soap using chicken fat... because every week we have a ton of it that we just get rid of cause we dont like it for cooking.
I also used the accelerating fragrance oil.
It did not cooperate so i just did what someone (cant remember who, but thank you very much for the tip) said on another thread: just let it go to gell and then give it a good stir and mold it. Its gonna be okay.
And it was! I plopped the semi solid batter on the mold and covered it up while i cleaned up the dishes. I went back to it when it was just about to go full gel, i stirred it (it was soft and manageable again) and packed it in the mold. It is not gonna be pretty looking, but for an experimental bar i dont think i did bad.
Now lets wait and see how a chicken fat soap feels... (it is not only chicken by the way!)

Last edited:
I wrapped up the Salt Cakes for tomorrow, and just finished loading the car for the FM in the morning.
Hoping that Sunday I can get a bunch of soaps made and Salt bars

Ok I know I said I wasn't going to use black in my soap anymore but... I wanted to try something and the scent was little black dress so there you go. I am a Tad spacially challenged and it was really hard to keep the cardboard in the center of while I scooped the 2 colors in but im hoping they come out ok and dont break in half when i cut them

Attachments

• 20180629_221057.jpg
    20180629_221057.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
I got a butterfly column mold off of Amazon and I used it for the first time about 3-4 days ago. I unmolded it before work today. It was still pretty soft and I dropped it. I think I can salvage it but I learned how to unmold it. I think this weekend I'll make some guest sized soaps for my honey to give out when he volunteers to help the homeless.

I wrapped up the Salt Cakes for tomorrow, and just finished loading the car for the FM in the morning.
Hoping that Sunday I can get a bunch of soaps made and Salt bars
Best of luck tomorrow!!

Made a soap using chicken fat... because every week we have a ton of it that we just get rid of cause we dont like it for cooking.
I also used the accelerating fragrance oil.
It did not cooperate so i just did what someone (cant remember who, but thank you very much for the tip) said on another thread: just let it go to gell and then give it a good stir and mold it. Its gonna be okay.
And it was! I plopped the semi solid batter on the mold and covered it up while i cleaned up the dishes. I went back to it when it was just about to go full gel, i stirred it (it was soft and manageable again) and packed it in the mold. It is not gonna be pretty looking, but for an experimental bar i dont think i did bad.
Now lets wait and see how a chicken fat soap feels... (it is not only chicken by the way!)
I love how you arent afraid to experiment. Let me know how it comes out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how you arent afraid to experiment. Let me know how it comes out!

Well, I still dont know how it will perform, but as of right now i was able to unmold and cut it (after 4 hours give or take). It is suuuuuuuuuuuper yellow. It is smooth in the center and a bit crusty on the outside (thanks fragrance oil!) but it smells nice. It is still a bit warm but since it felt hard enough not unmold i just couldnt resist!
No lye pockets, no bubbles (well a tiny one), no oozing oils or anything weird.
I’ll let you know more on a few weeks!

I am SO pleased right now. I just cut my Lemongrass & Green Tea soap. It is everything I had envisioned. And it smells amazing! *Doing a little happy dance!* :hippo::hippo::hippo:

The Aztec Gold mica lines give it just the perfect pop of colour and the green came out even better than I'd anticipated. I am so happy with this soap! (I know you all understand, right?)

Attachments

• 20180629_215642_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180629_215642_HDR_resized.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back