What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow that top turned out really cool @Misschief !
Last night I cut my Cheshire Cat soap [emoji1] and one with wsp’s Irish spring dupe
IMG_2951.jpg
IMG_2950.jpg

I have been shrink-wrapping more soap and this lead me to review the recipes for said soap for when I label them. That lead me to wonder why some of my soaps are sweating more than others, which lead me to wondering if I should just go back to recipes from 2 years ago that never sweat, which lead me to reviewing many of my recorded soaping formulas in my notebooks. Then of course, I began to wonder why the exact same recipe used in July 2017 does not sweat, but when made in January, 2018 DOES sweat right now.

My husband thinks it has to do with the added moisture to the air when the soap was made in winter when we heat the house but also add moisture to compensate for the drying nature of heated air in the winter, whereas in the summer the AC is turned on and the de-humidifier pulls moisture from the air. To me this is all very confusing. My formula for 2 soaps is exactly the same down to dual lye and lye concentration, except in one case I used sugar as an additive, but that one does not sweat. It was made in July 2017. But in all cases where the soap was made in January 2018 and without sugar, that soap is sweating right now. But the soap made in July 2017 does not sweat. I am confused and can't come up with enough differences between the soaps to theorize the reasons for sweating vs non-sweating. Other than fragrance differences and time of year when the soap was made, and possibly different colorants (although all were micas from Micas & More), nothing else springs to mind.

I have had a headache for two days, so this just might not be the right time to try and figure this out, though. So I really should stop trying to concentrate on this topic for now, and maybe come back to it after my mind is more clear for thinking.

Today I did some thinking about making some soaps as favors for a family event later this year. My grandparents will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in August and we're having a bunch of family and friends gather at their farm for a party. Of course I am a beginner, so I wanted to pick all your brains about how you've gone about this in the past! I'm sure labeling properly will be a must-do and I'll be sure to follow guidelines on that. My plan as of now is to do these with enough time to let them cure for at least 8 weeks to be sure they're as mild as can possibly be. Any thoughts on packaging, fragrances, or other necessary guidelines I should be sure to follow?

Getting ready for Market on Saturday.
Rubbed soaps (to take off crumbs), hand made some labels, weight/counted what I had and put in their categories. Figured out what prices for what and put them in the Square reader. TESTED said SQ reader.. glad I did that !
Now I am on here making my List of what I need/should bring from the Market section for ideas

Over the last two days I made wedding favors, packaged soap, made my Etsy listings, updated some pricing for items that aren't moving, boiled beer for beer soap (will hopefully make that tonight, but I have to check that the FO isn't a fast mover because I have a tendency to pick accelerating FO's for my beer soaps - let's not do that!), masterbatched more lye, and stuck price tags on the farmer's market soaps. The wedding favors aren't quite done yet, I want to brush them with a bit of mica and glitter to fancy them up. Will post picture in next post 'cuz I'm kind of in love with them and uber proud of myself for being able to pipe without making a huge mess.

Back