What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebatched some soap... It turned out looking like meatloaf. Raw meatloaf. The teen said he would rather eat it than wash with it. Sigh. At least I scented it with something I like for my own use.

After dinner, hubs bought me a new stainless steel bowl, so I made my salt bar. (My other soap pot was still soapy from this afternoon.) I ran a little short on salt, so it will probably be about 40% salt rather than 50%. I used my silicone bar mold so I don't have to worry about cutting it.

Jules I have heard that the Trichomania acts up in CP soap, my friend who is an experiences soaper had a batch that acted up. Hope you see this before you test it. I have also heard that 'The Comforter' doesn't hold in CP. I like the Karma, and am interested to see how it compares with WSP. FB usually has Holiday sales, and should (hope) have a Black Friday sale coming up.

I will definitely keep that in mind with the Trichomania. Good to know about the Comforter, I haven't gotten that one yet. I'm excited to compare the karma fo's, I was not impressed with Daystar's dupe at all so I am hopeful.

October is my "extra paycheck" month where I have an extra chunk of cash at my discretion, I'll have to sock some away for a good sale!

I'm really curious about other fragrances with them too, I hope more people share their experiences.

Even though it was 92º F in the kitchen I just had to make some soap. Have not made any for a few weeks and I am getting low. Today I made Goat's milk Pink Sugar and a new Fo for me Iced Orange Pineapple from soapsupplies.net. It smell delish and soaped beautifully. Even with a semi mover recipe I like, tallow & shea included in the recipe, it behaved well enough for 5 colors, with stirring not stick blending. Was nice to make some soap other than the 1000 sample flowers I had been pouring for the last month.

I unmolded my salt bars, and unmolded and cut my plain batch of unscented.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443543017.933605.jpg

Unmolded the last of the cough syrup...errr Berry scented soap (bleh, never buying that again). It does tame down so all the kids on my Christmas list are getting it after a test snifferer said they liked it (after cure).

Made a scrub bar test batch...that I now have to rerun numbers on because my new olive oil pours out a LOT faster than my old ones. Said ferget it and reduced another oil's number (yea yea I know). Probably will be a lot higher superfat and will be soft forever because of course it was the olive oil and not the coconut! Rerun numbers is on list. And this is why I do small batches (2lbs or 1lb) LOL.

Plotting my next batches as we speak.....

Edit: Ok, I was wrong....difference was very minor by the numbers. Soap should be fine :). Now I have to wait a month to find out....

Last edited:
Realized it was National Coffee Day, so I'm now busy running numbers for a coffee soap. I bought the Cafe Mocha FO from NG last month for it. I also have unrefined cocoa butter I'm trying to get rid of, so I think it will work well here, even if the chocolate smell doesn't go away completely.

Found out there was a baker's supply store in the next town over. I called to see if they carried lard. They did; at only $35 for a 50 Lb box. However, I was told by the lady answering the phone that I had to be an established bakery in the area in order to purchase from them. Bummer!!

Refusing to be deterred, I grabbed a few bars of soap and drove to their business. When I walked into the office, I identified myself as the local hobbyist handcrafted soap maker who had called earlier. I told the lady that she had been so helpful that I felt I should bring her a few samples of my soap. I thanked her again for her help and left. Within an hour I received a phone call from that lady. It seems that she had opened a bar of soap and washed her hands with it right there in the office. She loved the smell and the feel. Also, she is the owner's daughter and she had talked to her father about selling me any fats/oils that I need that they might carry.

Long story short, I went back ... and left with a 50 Lb box of lard and a promise that I would be able to purchase lard and coconut oil from them at the same prices the bakeries pay. :D The coconut oil is $55 for a 50 Lb box, and as soon as I use up the 5 bottles I purchased yesterday at Big Lots, I'll be getting a box of that too!

My first Taiwan Circling Swirl. And I think it looks killer!! Unfortunately my dividers were a La Croix box and it wasn't sturdy enough. The bottom leaked through. Oh, well. It still looks really good for a first try. Considering I "never do anything right" this is an accomplishment!

teresa t ....may I fail as beautifully!!!
I finally got round to making a polka dotted soap....been meaning to for ages!!

I made a 1lb experimental recipe using unrefined (aka chocolate smelling) cocoa butter, lard, avocado oil, and coconut oil. Scented with BRV.

Also whipped up a loaf of coffee soap.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443548983.367409.jpg

Today I finally got down to testing my FO samples from AHRE after seeing Gigi's quest for honeysuckle. I had their heavenly honeysuckle and also gardenia, liked the lavender&chamomile OOB. Long story short, I tested 10 florals today but since the batch has red Palm in it, I won't be able to comment on discoloration. This is mainly for the scent and sticking power.
Gardenia almost disappeared, but it might come back in next few days. Have to wait and see
Autumn mums overheating, also has a riced look to the surface.
Lavender & chamomile really behaved and still smelling nice.
Neroli smells so much like the citrus flowers.
Wild tuberose and jasmine very strong OOB, hopefully it tones down a bit.
Kimono flower is beautifully mild OOB
Rose Geranium feels very familiar, perfume like.
Heavenly honeysuckle- smells really wonderful
Water lily and jasmine
Pink lilac and willow is OK OOB, has more of a leafy scent than floral.

All in all, my basement smells of hot soap and mixed florals, not a favorite. Hopefully it's more pleasant tomorrow.
Next up is fruity FOs and the incense kind. Wondering how everyone keeps track of their test bars?

I cut my coffee bar this morning:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443619458.931019.jpg

Last night I popped my experimental BRV bars out of their molds too, and I'm happy to see this morning I can't smell the cocoa butter.

I applaud your patience and persistence Patrick! Bribery-by-soap isn't a bad approach either . . . way to score a new supplier and possibly a future customer :)

I can't take credit for the idea. Months ago I read a post where one of the "Mavens" had taken a similar approach with someone. I believe that was Carol (cmzaha) iirc. So, the inspiration for the approach came from someone else and I thank them for that.

Did a test shoot at the beach last night. What was interesting that all of my soaps got slippery while I was handling them. It was literally like using it in the shower, slipping out of my hands. I guess it`s the moisture content in the air. Even the cardboard box itself got moist. It was funny struggling with the soap sliding down from the wooden log.
The soap on the picture has sweet almond, shea butter and vitamin E in it. Scented with lavender and patchouli EO`s.
IMG_1345.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on a soleseife or brine bar kick...made a batch last week and the texture on it is very pleasing...I can only hope it soaps as well as it looks/feels...today was a double batch(6 pounds of oils) with himalayan sea salt ...a bought a bunch of this for salt bars before it drew blood on one of my testers so this is one way to use it up...did a ITP swirl with some fuchsia colorant...****...! They're soooo pretty!!!:thumbup:

Out of olive oil and coconut oil until the next payday so in the meantime I'm fondling the bars in my cure rack and searching for an oxide supplier.

I'm doing late night research, waiting on a few butters and oils to be delivered and working out how I'm going to safely make soap without having my curious child critique the fact that soap is curing in a container (it will be a long discussion).

I cleaned out and reorganized my soap closet so I can find things easier. I grated up a ton of soap for a confetti batch and turned all my soaps. I window shopped a boatload of soapy goodies I can't afford LOL. And I played with ideas for future soaps, sketching out the visuals and the plan to make them. Oh and I did soapy dishes because I didn't clean them after the last batch.

Latest posts

Back