What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, he is actually, objectively extremely cute. I think *all* dogs are cute, really, but he is kind of an advertising doggie type (get him an agent!) You are lucky, I only know two other Sharpei owners, and their babies really did require a bit of time to be won over, it seemed like their natural instinct was to say "go away and do not threaten my mama, strange lady."

Managed to get another batch of Dragon's Blood with beer done tonight. Did one last night also. It is so blasted hot in my house I cannot even start to bring myself to soaping until night. It is still hot but better. Actually glad I did not make it to market today it would have been miserable. I need this hot weather to break so I can get caught up on stock. Still working on my 1k sample soaps. Only half way done at this point

So far today I have unmolded my soap from yesterday evening (small batch in my silicone individual bar mold), CAUGHT MY SOAP MOUSE!!!, and measured out ingredients for a loaf today while my kids are at MomMom's.

Not today, but over the past week I have managed to soap a little, mostly because my house guest was excited when she learnt about my soaps and wanted some fruit flavored ones. So I master batched all 6 lbs of lye that I had and kept ready. Made a few bars each of CLV, BRV and Apricot honey. Also made some salt bars and some fruity flavored lip balms. She left this morning quite happy with a load of goodies.
We both really loved the CLV, I was surprised that there was no discoloration at all and turned out pretty. It's that very faint green one, they all have some bentonite clay in them.

Today, I'm making lotion bars.

image.jpg

The AHRE sample, it smells like a yummy treat. I actually don't know what verbena smells like, but to my nose it's mostly coconut and lime.

That is good that there is a lot of coconut so far, usually that fades really fast. Verbena smells kind of like an green, herbal lemon, it is v. nice. I really like the coconut-citrus-herb combo, although I have had problems finding a CLV that sticks well.

Last edited:
Sunday I was going to do the wire challenge. I had the bright idea to soap at the boyfriend's house. (Never again.) After two trips to my house (because of course I'm going to forget something major--like my scale and my soaping pots and my container I mix my lye in) and the housework/yardwork/petwork that a day off entails, I didn't even get started until 10 p.m., sooooooo.....I just made a few 12 oz test batches will some of my fall fragrance testers.

They smell yummy, don't look all that amazing, but I got some playtime in. Wish I would have been able to get started earlier, but at least I got some done and we will have some nice fall scents to use in the fall! I have to finish the rest up sometime this week, and I bought more lard and some fresh goat's milk last night so that pushes me to do more this week for sure.

The co-workers are all hooked, and are fast emptying out what little I have left on the racks, as I didn't soap at all for a month or two. It will give me a fine excuse to hit the fella up for a fat supply order though, seeing as how my racks will be empty, or filling them up will empty my stash, AND my birthday is coming up! Teeeeeee Heeeee!!! (insert twysted laugh heeeereeeee)

I unmolded and cut my loaf from yesterday. It was a high lard recipe, with a small addition of cocoa butter, and scented with NG's Cognac and Cubans (which I LOVE in my wax melts!). I tried spoon swirl, but for whatever reason it reminds me of a sushi roll... I'll attach a pic in a moment.

Today is the last day before my one daughter goes back to school. I'm kicking around the idea of making a small batch of BRV (with very chocolatey smelling cocoa butter I had bought by accident) today after their Grandmom takes them for ice cream.

Finally was able to get myself moving in this hot humid,weather we are having and poured After the Rain which is Big Sur and Dirt. Was to hoping to unmold it this morning but alas the humidy along with my pouring the main layer at emulsion is going to make me let it stay in the mold longer. Today in our continuing hot weather I am going to pour Cardamon Orange Beer soap. Wish I air conditioning in the full house and not in just one room we can close off from the rest of the house. Living in a south facing glass house in triple digit weather is quite miserable in the summer. Sorry I am rambling ;)

Yesterday I made a second batch of kumquot soap, using a strained puree of kumquots from my grandma's tree. I also used the WSP fragrance My Main Squeeze, which has become my family's favorite scent. Only problem is I had forgotten to write down that this fragrance will rice the soap, so when I made this second batch of course it riced again. But everything is chilling in the mold, and I'll cut it this evening.

Yesterday I made a second batch of kumquot soap, using a strained puree of kumquots from my grandma's tree. I also used the WSP fragrance My Main Squeeze, which has become my family's favorite scent. Only problem is I had forgotten to write down that this fragrance will rice the soap, so when I made this second batch of course it riced again. But everything is chilling in the mold, and I'll cut it this evening.
I know I read that My Main Squeeze from WSP rices, but I did not have any ricing problems with it. Will have to check my note, maybe it is a formula issue. I do soap 50/50 lye at room temp. It is an interesting fo

I finally gathered up the pieces of scrap wood I had laying around and built a mold. First time building one for me. Don't have a table saw or band saw, so I had to use a skill saw. Now, I can cut large pieces of wood straight, but seem to have a problem cutting smaller boards. SMH. It turned out looking like "FrankenMold", but it will hold my oils and has one pegged side to allow for easier unmolding of the soap. Tomorrow I will grab the plywood I have somewhere and make a top for it.

Edit: I guess a picture is called for. It's 13.5 x 9.5 x 4.5

FrankenMold.jpg

Last edited:
Back