What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know what you think of it. I made a melt & pour embed soap first. Then made up the soap that will go around it. Poured the bottom layer of white colored soap into the mold first and let it set up enough so it would support the red embed and then poured the rest of the white soap to go around the two sides and the top.

Your soap reminds me of the Cuban food guava and cheese (not a bad thing, I loooove guava and cheese). Heres a picture:

506a245adbd0cb306100138c._w.400_h.500_s.fit_.jpg

It still looks super cute and Christmas-y too though!

Today I made aniseed soap.

1/4 coconut oil
3/4 olive oil
Black iron oxide dye power.
Aniseed oil

Smells and looks so much like liquorice.

Not sure if people will like this though?

What do you guys think? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438113947.866672.jpg

not_ally, I'll keep you posted.

Attempted to unmold a bar of pine tar...nope. Well, I got it out but it's mushyyy. Silicone bar mold not condusive to fast unmolding I guess. Well, my next couple batches I dont need that mold for.

Plotting my christmas soaps...think I've got half of it figured out...

Licorice soap? You've got my curiosity up. I'd use it....but I'm weird :)

I made a batch to practice stamping on, CPOPed it, and ended up somehow flipping it upside down on the counter. Scooped as much as I could back in (figured it would still work for stamping practice) but even stirring it up as much as I could it is still kind of oily/yucky/internally striated. Spenny, if you are reading, I told you I could give you a run for the money in the klutz stakes ...

Today I cut a small batch of a soap for a friend who requested ginger and tumeric powders to be included, as they are thought to relieve pain (she has MS). Although I'm pretty sure that only works if you eat the ginger and tumeric, I was happy to do this little experiment for her. I also reorganized my soap closet, putting a batch of kumquat soap into a box for storage and shifting the rest of the curing batches further along the wire rack.

I made my first attempt at milk soap today! I've read a few milk-based soap tutorials on Soap Queen recently and have been getting interested. Started thinking that it might be nice for my friends with major skin sensitivities, possibly with some lavender EO since that's so soothing to the skin (and they use lots of lavender things, I know they aren't sensitive to it), but I can't afford any EO at the moment. School bus driver + summer = broke.

But then I thought that I should do a test batch. You know, just to be sure that my recipe works and I can do it without scorching the milk and everything. Really. I had to.

Or maybe it was just a good excuse to play with soap. ;)

It has been in the fridge (to prevent gel phase) for about 7 hours now and it is setting up nicely. I'm excited to see how it comes out. :D

I am thinking to make a therapy soap. I know sea buckthorn oil long time ago that has very good healing property.
% I am not sure. I may need to play around to get better result. the only issue is sea buckthorn oil is very expensive.
3.5 oz is 10$.

water 2:1 and calculation is on %. I like sea buckthorn oil to be higher but I am not sure. any idea?

Coconut Oil; 20
Palm Oil; 15
Sea Buckthorn Oil; 30
Olive Oil; 15
Shea Butter; 10
Castor Oil; 10

thanks

Andre

I am thinking to make a therapy soap. I know sea buckthorn oil long time ago that has very good healing property.
% I am not sure. I may need to play around to get better result. the only issue is sea buckthorn oil is very expensive.
3.5 oz is 10$.

water 2:1 and calculation is on %. I like sea buckthorn oil to be higher but I am not sure. any idea?

Coconut Oil; 20
Palm Oil; 15
Sea Buckthorn Oil; 30
Olive Oil; 15
Shea Butter; 10
Castor Oil; 10

thanks

Andre

I personally would recommend making a leave on product with expensive oils. There's no guarantee any of the therapeutic qualities even carry through in CP due to the lye monster. Especially using an expensive oil at 30%.

Just my thoughts. You are certainly free to give it a try.

Let us know how it goes if you do.

Aye, look at coconut oil - as an oil it is very moisturizing, but as a soap it is the polar opposite. What properties an oil has does not mean a soap made with that oil will have those same properties.

I was looking at a Facebook page where someone was listing the properties of co and suggesting that a soap made with it would have the same benefits and almost commented on the post!

Last edited:
Ariane Arsenault made a soap using sea buckthorn and carrot juice. It really colored the batter - so you need to be prepared for that.

But I kind of agree with Shunt2011. Expensive oils really are better as superfat in HP or in lotions and butters.

https://youtu.be/fJs2wYjnzr0

What I like about soap is that PH level goes high. we all know that bacterias die on alkaline contact. to make anything "leave on" maybe we can use a baking soda. baking soda is about 9.5 ph. you got a good idea but I never made any cream or anything else other then soap. :)

I know this, but why? What changes?

Because it is no longer coconut oil. It is a completely different chemical.

You have taken the various fatty acids molecule, and changed them so that one end of the chain latches onto water molecules, and the other latches on to oil molecules.

Because it is no longer coconut oil. It is a completely different chemical.

You have taken the various fatty acids molecule, and changed them so that one end of the chain latches onto water molecules, and the other latches on to oil molecules.

Thanks!.....I thought so.....but didn't have enough specifics to answer people's question.
All I could say was "because saponified oils become a salt". The characteristics of the oils change; another reason to not use expensive oils in soap except the end stage of hp, or an oil has a high rate of unsaponifiables.

New idea for me...
Today I purchased a stainless steel potato french fry press from Harbor Freight ($7.99) to make my sample soap "sticks". Cutting by hand to get the slice I want to share was ok, but now 1 bar done in 2 seconds!

Now that has serious potential for making embeds.... gonna have to see if there is a Harbor Freight nearby :)

Back