What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First attempt for January SMF is in the oven. Tried a recipe I hadn't tried yet with nearly half Aloe Vera Gel and a FO I hadn't tried yet. Thickened in a hurry and then stopped thickening, so I'm guessing it was the Stearic Acid and not FO or the gel (which was blended into lye solution). I almost dumped it uncolored in a different mold so I could start over with a different recipe, but then it slowed down, so I decided to go for the swirl anyways. Stayed fairly pourable throughout, though someday I should try this swirl with a recipe that doesn't accelerate moderately on its own.

I love all the colors you’re getting in these tests! Would you share what you used to get the pink to red series?

My soapy thing last night involved pushing the boundaries on a soy wax recipe, which is 20% soy wax with 10% shea, OO, 20% CO and RBO. I worked warmer than usual at 130F+ and upped the ante by using a 38% lye concentration to reduce ash. I went with the warmer temperature because I’m trying to avoid uneven coloring I had in the last confetti soap I made. That uneveness seemed to match the way the batter went into the mold, i.e. in horizontal layers. This batch was also made as a base for a confetti soap. It came to emulsion pretty quickly, but then stayed nicely fluid even after I added the confetti (which I had warmed up in advance) and I would have been able to do a multicolor swirl. The color in the new freshly cut soap is also uneven, darn, but for a different reason or reasons. It looks more like color morph associated with partial gel, with a ring of soap that didn’t morph sandwiched between morphed color, except at the top, which is weird. What do y’all think? The color is Klein Blue from Nurture. It has been working well for me in various recipes, all gelled, but this might be the first time I used it at 38% lye concentration.
View attachment 53813
Wow that looks great, would be so nice for a winter snow soap.
For the pink to red - if you mean the one with the black - I used red iron oxide from TKB trading. @Todd Ziegler recommended this source & I liked their products, prices and service even though they are shipping from the west coast. Red 541 that oxide has a bluish tint and they look a lot different now that they have hardened - more purple.

Just got back from a 3 day hunting trip. I hurt all over! I’m way out of shape since covid took my gym away. My new jerky gun arrived, now I want to make jerky! But, I bought it for the 2.13” extruder discs that I have on the way. I’m super excited to try them!! I am assuming some of the detail on some may be more than will work practically in soap. But, I’m excited for them anyway. I’ve got SO much soapy things to do over the next few days. But, I’ve also got to recover from hiking 7.24 miles, carrying gear, with a combined climbing elevation of around 1500’. Whew! (Didn’t get anything, yet. But, lots of good hunting and deep nature time!)
Edit add: I also received my order of Palo Santo fO from micas and more. I’m attempting to find FO I like, so far I only use EOs. It smells nothing like Palo Santo, but it smells kind of ok I guess. Not sold yet, but I’m waiting to decide until I use some and cure it. I also have some florals coming from NS, so hoping I find some that I like.

Hello Friends 👋🏼. haven't posted in about a Month' trying a drop swirl.
Your drop swirl looks so intentional and patterned, I love it! Mine always look.... abstract, random.

Is there already a translucent soap thread on here? I can’t find it. I bought Lovin Suds e-class, and I’m getting geared up to attempt it.

After looking at my blue and white confetti soap closely this morning, I’m convinced that the color morph is due to overheating. At a 38% lye concentration, the soap had to get really hot to gel. I guess the higher than normal working temp pushed this soap over the edge, plus the outside edges that discolored have some bubbles that I attribute to overheating. The lye conc alone can’t be the culprit because the blue mica color is perfect in a thin band that probably didn’t overheat.

Clean 2/3 of my kitchen cabinets to make room for my soap additives. Organized and labeled them and my bulk dry goods cabinets. It’s a work in progress, trying to get all my soap stuff organized so that I don’t have stuff laying everywhere! 55E959FA-621E-43C6-8F10-EE6476E7EE8B.jpegF5B2D033-61B5-4D73-9C3A-DF6FF040BBF8.jpeg
And can someone explain to me why the leftover soap batter always swirls prettier than the originally poured soap? 🤔🤪For some reason theses have soda ash where as the bars that were poured in the loaf mold do not!?!? Weird... is it because they did not gel?

You’ll all think I’m crazy for saying this but we’re considering moving to Maine from Southern California when my husband “retires.” 😂

I'm with you, love winter! Under 10F is too cold for my old, thin-coated dog though so we don't go out much then. Otherwise I love it!

my soapy thing today: made a soap with an fo that 'slightly accelerates'. Riiiiight! Even adding it to the colors one by one it set up too fast for my planned drop swirl scheme! I admit I'm soaping too hot these days but that's because my basement is currently 53F and if I try to let the oils cool they start to solidify like right now. Ah well. It was just a test soap. Someone will like the scent!

I ran out of distilled water 😨 … but gladly, just today it snowed here like it didn't in the last five years, so I collected some of the snow to melt up – that bought me a week or two to catch up with my terrible purchase organisation, to not endanger progress of my countless little projects.

Edit: Now all had thawed, and it was a good idea to filter the water. There might be no hardness cations in it, but quite some other dirt that I don't exactly want in my soap. We only had this crazy Sahara dust weather just two days ago, and I expected some of it to land into the snow. But luckily (?), that wasn't the case, just the ordinary dirt flakes left behind from carefully harvested fleur-de-snow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back