What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut/beveled my SMF January challenge soap attempt. I'd attempted the pour/swirl knowing the batter was much thicker than ideal. It's a pretty soap, but not the swirl it needs to be, so I'll try again with a different recipe next week.
Also, made (syndet) shampoo and shampoo bars.

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_005314.jpg
    IMG_20210208_005314.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello ladies.
I am super new to soap making but I am hooked!
Unfortunately, right now, I am able to make just one batch per week. This is my third batch:
I used my own recipe (I am experimenting with oils: I want my soap to be vegetarian and possibly palm-free) and it was extremely soft when I unmolded 24 hours later...

Attachments

• 451B5102-89C6-4B2A-8D22-CD3B50F8E12A.jpeg
    451B5102-89C6-4B2A-8D22-CD3B50F8E12A.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 550CB1DA-CBB9-43EB-B04E-867C6EAF169D.jpeg
    550CB1DA-CBB9-43EB-B04E-867C6EAF169D.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 34
This is a total disappointment: the plan was to drag some 'stems' up from the grass and then drop swirl daisy colors on top. But it accelerated like wildfire even adding the FO one color at a time so it's just blobs. FO is Nurture's 'daisies in bloom'.
View attachment 53879
I’m sorry it’s not what you were hoping for. It’s still pretty!

This is a total disappointment: the plan was to drag some 'stems' up from the grass and then drop swirl daisy colors on top. But it accelerated like wildfire even adding the FO one color at a time so it's just blobs. FO is Nurture's 'daisies in bloom'.
I agree - it's still a really pretty soap!

View attachment 53879
It’s beautiful soap... I just saw it on Instagram and thought it was a very cheery and happy soap... It made me smile!

Yesterday was prepping, packaging, and posting. Hoping I get some making done today! Doing a couple experiments with kaolin clay vs none.
Also, my coworker lazy in the sun.

Omg I finally have money for the next NS mold I want and they’re out of stock! Pleeeeeze restock! This money burning a hole in my pocket!

Attachments

• 3E51698E-BA3B-4BC0-A41F-712501C45DCC.jpeg
    3E51698E-BA3B-4BC0-A41F-712501C45DCC.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 24EF5552-0126-467C-99B9-65809CCB7587.jpeg
    24EF5552-0126-467C-99B9-65809CCB7587.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 4FD25B93-3FE5-45C9-86C5-6E5505A52B06.jpeg
    4FD25B93-3FE5-45C9-86C5-6E5505A52B06.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 33
Finally learned an important soap making lesson. Was making a small batch only with 2 lbs of oil and realized that I did not have the desired quantity of NFO with me only towards the end of the cook(needed 54 gms, I only had 30 gms in stock). After some crazy on the fly math, ended up splitting the batch successfully, but I will never start a cook again without measuring all the ingredients first.

View attachment 53879
GusPuppy - if you don't tell anyone your plans they won't know. I saw the pic before I read what you'd written and thought it looked amazing!

I'm sorry, I can't keep up with you. Now, is Roger your old husband or the new one that @Fendigirl has just cruelly cast aside after a simple mistake?
JK. Twelve below temp here so I will gaze at your garden throughout the day.
12 below???😳😱🤯😮 Good grief... Winter is an over achiever in your neck of the woods!

GusPuppy - if you don't tell anyone your plans they won't know. I saw the pic before I read what you'd written and thought it looked amazing!

You are so right. But fellow soap makers know the disappointment of a thing not turning out like it looks in your head! 🙂

it's starting to grow on me.....

View attachment 53879
Okay now, "total disappointment" is a bit strong! I totally get the disappointment of the mismatch between plan and reality -- but this is really nice looking soap. I looked at the picture before reading your post and I saw a beautiful grassy meadow, sky, clouds, and glorious sunshine probably because it was SEVEN BELOW ZERO AND I WANT TO BE IN A SUNNY WARM GRASSY MEADOW🥶 RIGHT NOW!!

One of these days I will stop experimenting with recipes, but I’m not quite there yet. Here’s some soap I made yesterday using a tried and true lard-based recipe that has a good dose of OO. I usually soap this recipe between 85 and 90F and 35% lye concentration, but started this batch with everything at 73F and used 40% lye concentration. Wowsers! I planed the tops because they were uneven, but there was no ash. The batter stayed fluid for a quite a long time

79A1DFA9-7B04-403E-B264-6AC34DA482B3.jpeg

Made more carrot soap. Here she is tucked into our cooler that I confiscated long ago. Threw in some colloidal oats and coffee grounds because people keep asking me for soap with coffee grounds.

One of these days I will stop experimenting with recipes, but I’m not quite there yet. Here’s some soap I made yesterday using a tried and true lard-based recipe that has a good dose of OO. I usually soap this recipe between 85 and 90F and 35% lye concentration, but started this batch with everything at 73F and used 40% lye concentration. Wowsers! I planed the tops because they were uneven, but there was no ash. The batter stayed fluid for a quite a long time

View attachment 53889
Lovely colors and very nice design.

Attachments

• D7AF1A27-E8FF-4121-84B8-D9C1C45BFF0B.jpeg
    D7AF1A27-E8FF-4121-84B8-D9C1C45BFF0B.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 29

View attachment 53889
Wowsers is right! What is that swirling technique?!

I usually soap this recipe between 85 and 90F and 35% lye concentration, but started this batch with everything at 73F and used 40% lye concentration.
I always contemplate changing up my lye concentration, but always chicken out and stick with my 33%. I have been soaping at room temperature, which is usually 75 to 78F for me and I like it a lot! I might be brave next batch and try 35% lye concentration, I would love more working time. That’s a beautiful soap, awesome swirls!

I got an inexpensive soap planer today from Amazon and tried it out. It was fun and made such a difference with the soap bars! I tried to bevel on it too, but I think I like my veggie peeler better. A good investment, indeed!

Latest posts

Back