Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least one of my pull throughs turned out. The others I’m not stoked on my color choices at all. And one has weird white spots for some reason. And they’re the same recipe! Maybe I didn’t blend the kaolin clay/EO slurry? Stearic spots? *sigh*
At least packaging my Valentine’s soaps is a nice feeling.
Well I am totally stoked on all your colour selections! Just love them to bits!

@violets2217 yes i use a preservative and I add it after I remove from the heat. It may well be still to warm but i add it anyway and have not yet had any problems.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you @violets2217 and @KiwiMoose
The kaolin clay soaked with the EOs for almost two days and I stick blended it with the oils. But I think that’s what the spots are. Maybe I didn’t blend that batch as much as the others. *sigh*
Today I have a ginormous mountain of dishes to wash! Also, finish packaging and posting new soaps available.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I masterbatched some oils a few days ago and gasped when I opened my container of lard. From my huge 55 lb cube, I just barely had enough for my batch. Clearly, me and lard are tight. Yesterday, I bought a new 55 lb cube. Never thought I’d one day find myself feeling giddy about buying lard. 😋🤪

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I shelled out almost $8 for HO Safflower oil to try. I would have been better off ordering that but I can use that for baking if my soap sucks.

violets2217

Reaction score
Never thought I’d one day find myself feeling giddy about buying lard. 😋🤪
My brother thought I was insane when last spring he was looking for a pig available to butcher. I guess his wife's family buy and butcher them their selves. More power to you. I told him to bring me the fat!!! He said they had about 5 or 6 home depot buckets full! I had stars in my eyes...all the soap I could make.

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
Errrr. Well this ain’t what I had in mind. Extreme acceleration. There I was, soaping away, stirring gingerly with my favorite blue spatula, whistling a happy tune, proud that I discovered I can do math. Two-layered soap all mapped out in my head. Bummed that my husband ate the last chocolate chip cookie but joyful to be making soap. Everything was measured perfectly. Coffee grounds, rice water, my very favorite lard recipe, some cocoa powder for colorant, then the big moment: adding fragrance oils. Poured.
Stirred. And then I see it. That familiar yet dreaded effect on the surface of the batter. Like a dry desert surface, cracked and chaotically tectonic.

ACCELERATION!!!!!!!!!!

Another second later, I wrestled the soap into my mold and, giving up in the spatula, took my gloved hands and man-handled the lumpy, slippery, broken mess.

I still had the second top layer waiting for me to assemble....

I decided to add the FO to the oils, blend, then very quickly add my lye solution. All was good! Stirred it with my spatula. No acceleration! Figured I’d just gently give it a whirl with my sb on low... I should have leaved well enough alone.

I covered the surface in cling wrap, swaddled it between two seedling mats and a very heavy towel. Let’s see what surrounding and insulating it with heat does to it.

Think I’ll make another batch of chocolate chip cookies in the meantime.....

Attachments

JoyfulSudz

Reaction score
@The_Phoenix I feel your pain -- and it brings a smile to my face because it's such a "me-too" moment. As a relative beginner, it warms my heart to see you experienced soapers occasionally suffer the same surprises and bloopers I do. It tells me there's hope, and I keep on soapin'.
Besides, I also know that chocolate chip cookies can cure almost anything!

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
@The_Phoenix I feel your pain -- and it brings a smile to my face because it's such a "me-too" moment. As a relative beginner, it warms my heart to see you experienced soapers occasionally suffer the same surprises and bloopers I do. It tells me there's hope, and I keep on soapin'.
Besides, I also know that chocolate chip cookies can cure almost anything!
Gosh, I encounter loads of bloopers. I have shoe boxes full of soap bloopers. 😂

I’m still very much a novice at soap making. But I am really good at making chocolate chip cookies so there’s always that to fall back on.

Last edited:

violets2217

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm serious or not...but I think someone out in the real world needs to start a soapers anonymous for the hobbyist that just can't stop making soapy stuff! I ordered ingredients tonight to try out some recipes I bought for a hydrating face cream and a solid oil cleansing stick for my "mature aging skin". I'm kinda excited now, but won't get all my stuff until the second week of February! So I guess we will see what kind of trouble I can get into until then! Happy Soaping!

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm serious or not...but I think someone out in the real world needs to start a soapers anonymous for the hobbyist that just can't stop making soapy stuff! I ordered ingredients tonight to try out some recipes I bought for a hydrating face cream and a solid oil cleansing stick for my "mature aging skin". I'm kinda excited now, but won't get all my stuff until the second week of February! So I guess we will see what kind of trouble I can get into until then! Happy Soaping!
If one gets started, there's no point in telling me because I absolutely do NOT have a problem. Sure, I just put in another order to WSP and included stuff I don't actually need, but I'm sure I could stop at any time if I wanted to.

KimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be called SAP - Soapers Anonymous Parley 🤣 🤣 🤣

violets2217

Reaction score
If one gets started, there's no point in telling me because I absolutely do NOT have a problem. Sure, I just put in another order to WSP and included stuff I don't actually need, but I'm sure I could stop at any time if I wanted to.
LOL! All my orders, cause I had to order from 3 different suppliers, were mostly strictly shopping list items. Nature's Garden was only like $20 and shipping was $8... I rationalized that I bet I could add a couple bottles of FO and the Shipping wouldn't change! In my defense I'm try to find a FO my 15 year old son will like. What was weird the shipping went down after adding 3 different FO! Cool!

Zing

Reaction score
I do NOT have a problem!! What are you talking about?! All you all can get off my a-- already!!

So I will type this out loud: Today my new heating pad got delivered. Our old one -- which may very well pre-date me -- now only works on medium heat. So, which one goes in my soap shop, and which one goes on Mrs. Zing's back? There, I said it. Don't judge me.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packaged, uploaded to website, and social media posted my next round of soaps. Now I’m staged and ready to go hunting at too-early o’clock tomorrow. Hopefully I come home to some orders. Mama needs more supplies!
Honestly though I almost don’t want to sell this batch. They might be my favorite I’ve made so far. I’m super into the lime essential oil in my blends too! It smells bright and cheerful without the discoloration of lemon or orange.
Maybe I should just keep all these for myself and be my own Valentiest valentine!

Attachments

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packaged, uploaded to website, and social media posted my next round of soaps. Now I’m staged and ready to go hunting at too-early o’clock tomorrow. Hopefully I come home to some orders. Mama needs more supplies!
Honestly though I almost don’t want to sell this batch. They might be my favorite I’ve made so far. I’m super into the lime essential oil in my blends too! It smells bright and cheerful without the discoloration of lemon or orange.
Maybe I should just keep all these for myself and be my own Valentiest valentine!
I'm your number 1 fan!

Latest posts