What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never thought I’d one day find myself feeling giddy about buying lard. 😋🤪
My brother thought I was insane when last spring he was looking for a pig available to butcher. I guess his wife's family buy and butcher them their selves. More power to you. I told him to bring me the fat!!! He said they had about 5 or 6 home depot buckets full! I had stars in my eyes...all the soap I could make.

Errrr. Well this ain’t what I had in mind. Extreme acceleration. There I was, soaping away, stirring gingerly with my favorite blue spatula, whistling a happy tune, proud that I discovered I can do math. Two-layered soap all mapped out in my head. Bummed that my husband ate the last chocolate chip cookie but joyful to be making soap. Everything was measured perfectly. Coffee grounds, rice water, my very favorite lard recipe, some cocoa powder for colorant, then the big moment: adding fragrance oils. Poured.
Stirred. And then I see it. That familiar yet dreaded effect on the surface of the batter. Like a dry desert surface, cracked and chaotically tectonic.

ACCELERATION!!!!!!!!!!

Another second later, I wrestled the soap into my mold and, giving up in the spatula, took my gloved hands and man-handled the lumpy, slippery, broken mess.

I still had the second top layer waiting for me to assemble....

I decided to add the FO to the oils, blend, then very quickly add my lye solution. All was good! Stirred it with my spatula. No acceleration! Figured I’d just gently give it a whirl with my sb on low... I should have leaved well enough alone.

I covered the surface in cling wrap, swaddled it between two seedling mats and a very heavy towel. Let’s see what surrounding and insulating it with heat does to it.

Think I’ll make another batch of chocolate chip cookies in the meantime.....

Attachments

• D7D01753-E5CD-4CA4-B04D-081473285ABB.jpeg
    D7D01753-E5CD-4CA4-B04D-081473285ABB.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 32729804-43C8-474C-AC97-FCC0864FA1A6.jpeg
    32729804-43C8-474C-AC97-FCC0864FA1A6.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 17
@The_Phoenix I feel your pain -- and it brings a smile to my face because it's such a "me-too" moment. As a relative beginner, it warms my heart to see you experienced soapers occasionally suffer the same surprises and bloopers I do. It tells me there's hope, and I keep on soapin'.
Besides, I also know that chocolate chip cookies can cure almost anything!

@The_Phoenix I feel your pain -- and it brings a smile to my face because it's such a "me-too" moment. As a relative beginner, it warms my heart to see you experienced soapers occasionally suffer the same surprises and bloopers I do. It tells me there's hope, and I keep on soapin'.
Besides, I also know that chocolate chip cookies can cure almost anything!
Gosh, I encounter loads of bloopers. I have shoe boxes full of soap bloopers. 😂

I’m still very much a novice at soap making. But I am really good at making chocolate chip cookies so there’s always that to fall back on.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm serious or not...but I think someone out in the real world needs to start a soapers anonymous for the hobbyist that just can't stop making soapy stuff! I ordered ingredients tonight to try out some recipes I bought for a hydrating face cream and a solid oil cleansing stick for my "mature aging skin". I'm kinda excited now, but won't get all my stuff until the second week of February! So I guess we will see what kind of trouble I can get into until then! Happy Soaping!

I'm not sure if I'm serious or not...but I think someone out in the real world needs to start a soapers anonymous for the hobbyist that just can't stop making soapy stuff! I ordered ingredients tonight to try out some recipes I bought for a hydrating face cream and a solid oil cleansing stick for my "mature aging skin". I'm kinda excited now, but won't get all my stuff until the second week of February! So I guess we will see what kind of trouble I can get into until then! Happy Soaping!
If one gets started, there's no point in telling me because I absolutely do NOT have a problem. Sure, I just put in another order to WSP and included stuff I don't actually need, but I'm sure I could stop at any time if I wanted to.

It could be called SAP - Soapers Anonymous Parley 🤣 🤣 🤣

If one gets started, there's no point in telling me because I absolutely do NOT have a problem. Sure, I just put in another order to WSP and included stuff I don't actually need, but I'm sure I could stop at any time if I wanted to.
LOL! All my orders, cause I had to order from 3 different suppliers, were mostly strictly shopping list items. Nature's Garden was only like $20 and shipping was $8... I rationalized that I bet I could add a couple bottles of FO and the Shipping wouldn't change! In my defense I'm try to find a FO my 15 year old son will like. What was weird the shipping went down after adding 3 different FO! Cool!

I do NOT have a problem!! What are you talking about?! All you all can get off my a-- already!!

So I will type this out loud: Today my new heating pad got delivered. Our old one -- which may very well pre-date me -- now only works on medium heat. So, which one goes in my soap shop, and which one goes on Mrs. Zing's back? There, I said it. Don't judge me.

Packaged, uploaded to website, and social media posted my next round of soaps. Now I’m staged and ready to go hunting at too-early o’clock tomorrow. Hopefully I come home to some orders. Mama needs more supplies!
Honestly though I almost don’t want to sell this batch. They might be my favorite I’ve made so far. I’m super into the lime essential oil in my blends too! It smells bright and cheerful without the discoloration of lemon or orange.
Maybe I should just keep all these for myself and be my own Valentiest valentine!

Attachments

• 17AFB5A9-B325-49A2-B942-8DC74B8760BF.jpeg
    17AFB5A9-B325-49A2-B942-8DC74B8760BF.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 006ED1D4-15CB-4C92-93E4-2F454BB1C433.jpeg
    006ED1D4-15CB-4C92-93E4-2F454BB1C433.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 33
Packaged, uploaded to website, and social media posted my next round of soaps. Now I’m staged and ready to go hunting at too-early o’clock tomorrow. Hopefully I come home to some orders. Mama needs more supplies!
Honestly though I almost don’t want to sell this batch. They might be my favorite I’ve made so far. I’m super into the lime essential oil in my blends too! It smells bright and cheerful without the discoloration of lemon or orange.
Maybe I should just keep all these for myself and be my own Valentiest valentine!
I'm your number 1 fan!

The other day I cleaned my kitchen and stowed away all of my soapy stuff in the cabinet. Tonight I am like I HAVEN'T MADE SOAP IN SOOOO LONG!! I just looked at my calendar and it has been 5 days LOL. I feel like it is longer.

Anywhooo....I am waiting for everything to cool for my Pineapple Paypaya from BB that I got today. I love this smell. I have all my colors mixed and my oils/lye cooling, and I STILL have no plan LOL

I'm debating on trying my luck with NY Scents. They are kinda local since they're NY based and they have some FOs that have me a little curious. I also need some oils. I used up my remaining oils for 3 batches of soap, including a no-coconut bastile.

I also got a crash-course lesson as to why NOT to HP your soap with a 2:1 water to lye ratio.

Oh goodness. Looks like I’ll be rebatching today. Don’t have a slow cooker so asking around my neighborhood for one.

Attachments

• D49A2993-F8A9-4FF0-9640-9A7554E63CAA.jpeg
    D49A2993-F8A9-4FF0-9640-9A7554E63CAA.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 5FC30869-F174-4B22-AE3E-79EC06165FCA.jpeg
    5FC30869-F174-4B22-AE3E-79EC06165FCA.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 20
  • C90659A9-A2DC-4B3D-8490-2E136D90DE91.jpeg
    C90659A9-A2DC-4B3D-8490-2E136D90DE91.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 25
The loveliest thing happened this morning. Someone sent me a message via IG about one of my soaps. I thought she was expressing interest in one particular bar to purchase. Turns out she received the soaps as Christmas gifts! Well, that just made my day. I woke up feeling a little blue and now I feel tremendously joyful. 🥰

Check with @Zany_in_CO about her easy oven re-batch method.
I bought an inexpensive slow cooker. So far, so good. It looks gross, but it’s better than what it was. I was lazy the first half of the rebatch and cut the soap into chunks. Took more time than anticipated to cook down. I grated the rest and it’s moving along more quickly.

I feel like I’ve joined the ranks of the cool kids (aka., HP Soapers). 🥸😎

Attachments

• D3C57F8F-EFEF-42BD-909A-B2F4F36C3F2E.jpeg
    D3C57F8F-EFEF-42BD-909A-B2F4F36C3F2E.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back