What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an inexpensive slow cooker. So far, so good. It looks gross, but it’s better than what it was. I was lazy the first half of the rebatch and cut the soap into chunks. Took more time than anticipated to cook down. I grated the rest and it’s moving along more quickly.

I feel like I’ve joined the ranks of the cool kids (aka., HP Soapers). 🥸😎
Well, I like it and think it's neato looking.

Basil is a male's name, but it is rarely used these days. It's very 'old England'. However, it may make a comeback, like to many older names.
A friend of mine has twins named Anton and Basil, they are just as adorable as their names sound even though they are 13 now. I'm completely in favor of old names becoming new again.

I've heard you can melt the powder SCI, I've just not tried it. And when would you add the preservative, wouldn't it be too hot?
I have melted the powder SCI using the DIY Body and Bath recipe from Etsy. It's not pourable, but stays malleable enough once cooled to the point of adding preservative that you can get it mixed thoroughly. For that reason I add color to my shampoo bars with the preservative and fragrance, it helps me tell that I've gotten everything thoroughly mixed together.

My soapy stuff... still working my way through brewery soaps. I had hoped to have enough stamina to push through making double batches every day and banging those suckers out in a week, but I had to take a few days here and there to deal with real life non-soap drama. So glad I have soapmaking for therapy. After making all this soap though, I'm going to take a break to make some B&B products over the next week, then get back to soap. I'm terribly behind on restocking for 2021.

Oh goodness. Looks like I’ll be rebatching today. Don’t have a slow cooker so asking around my neighborhood for one.
Crockpots are too hard on my wrists, and such a pain to clean. You can rebatch using a pot on the stove or a pan in the oven. I've also used my electric turkey roaster and my InstantPot. Search "oven rebatch" and you should find the threads with some good directions.

My soapy thing today was teaching a friend how to make soap. Her sister was the one who was raving about my soap and wanted more. So she asked to make the same recipe with slightly different scent and colors.

Since this was a high-CO recipe, we poured it in the morning, and then I called her later in the afternoon to come by and cut it. She trimmed the edges and took it all home in a box. I think she's hooked... ;)

Last edited:
So, there I was. Telling hubby how much I've saved this year by changing where I buy this and that. I jokingly said, "So, I should get about $1000 to spend on soapy stuff, huh!" To which he replied, "I'm sorry, are we low on soap?" 🤣 😅😝😂 He's still giggling to himself... 😄

I do NOT have a problem!! What are you talking about?! All you all can get off my a-- already!!

So I will type this out loud: Today my new heating pad got delivered. Our old one -- which may very well pre-date me -- now only works on medium heat. So, which one goes in my soap shop, and which one goes on Mrs. Zing's back? There, I said it. Don't judge me.
I DO have a problem. I have 4 FedEx packages, one-ups, and 5 USPS packages coming tomorrow. I need a program...

I bought an inexpensive slow cooker. So far, so good. It looks gross, but it’s better than what it was. I was lazy the first half of the rebatch and cut the soap into chunks. Took more time than anticipated to cook down. I grated the rest and it’s moving along more quickly.

I feel like I’ve joined the ranks of the cool kids (aka., HP Soapers). 🥸😎
Welcome to the dark side!!

I cut last night's soap. BB Pineapple Papaya. Colors are Andy the Money from MM, Magenta, Yellow, and TD. ITPS.

Andy the Money really freaks me out with the baby poop color when pouring LOL. But the green it turns into is phenomenal, especially after the soap has cured for a few weeks.

I purposely did not pour the first layer all the way out on the bottom, because for some reason in my head I thought it might add a little interest. But now I think I wish I did.

I love this scent.

IMG_1513.jpg

I discovered a simpler method of rendering tallow, much to my relief and I made this batch of soap l with the last of my earlier batch of tallow. It has Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, Black Walnut Hull powder and Peppermint, Tea Tree and Pachouli EO. I call it Refreshing Deodorant Soap and men like it. Of course, it will look more beautiful with the stamp. This is freshly cut.

P1000135.JPG

I discovered a simpler method of rendering tallow, much to my relief and I made this batch of soap l with the last of my earlier batch of tallow. It has Moroccan Rhassoul Clay, Black Walnut Hull powder and Peppermint, Tea Tree and Pachouli EO. I call it Refreshing Deodorant Soap and men like it. Of course, it will look more beautiful with the stamp. This is freshly cut.
Those look great! Care to share your easier method or rendering? I render most of my lard and tallow, so I’m all ears. 😊

Care to share your easier method or rendering?
Of course I don't mind sharing but everyone here probably knew about it before me. I have been wet rendering in the past and the butcher gave me many kilos and what a mess, boiling over on the floor (it went well the first time, but after that.....) so this time I used the crock pot and did it without water. Low setting, checked the temperature it was 200 degrees. I have always been afraid of a roasted scent in the tallow but it did not happen. It is a little golden in color. I will do it again with baking soda in some water then through a pantyhose for the last step. I don't know why I think I have to do 20 kilos at a time, it was so much better working smaller. I am picking up more today and will be set for a while. I will ask him about the lard, I have not tried that yet. Thanks for asking!

The last couple days I’ve been making little tiny flower embeds for the top of a loaf I plan to make. This is very tedious and time consuming but they are so cute! View attachment 53662
These are spectacular. Those daisies are lovely I made a daisy soap last year but my little flowers were so sloppy. Yours look just perfect. Did you pipe each little petal?

These are spectacular. Those daisies are lovely I made a daisy soap last year but my little flowers were so sloppy. Yours look just perfect. Did you pipe each little petal?

Thank you! Oh dear no! I’ve never piped anything! I am so amazed by people who can do that and I’d love to learn how but these were made with tiny little silicon molds I got on Etsy. I put a tube of lip balm next to them so you can see how little they are! I’m only making like ten little flowers at a time! 😬 I’m using soap dough for the center that I roll in little balls and put in the mold and then I pour melt and pour over it. Taking me forever as I only have two of these molds.
2A2DE063-F7AE-489B-B879-44EB6A37B3FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 205B7F4C-21BC-46FC-93D8-2DCA053AFE08.jpeg
    205B7F4C-21BC-46FC-93D8-2DCA053AFE08.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 27
Thank you! Oh dear no! I’ve never piped anything! I am so amazed by people who can do that and I’d love to learn how but these were made with tiny little silicon molds I got on Etsy. I put a tube of lip balm next to them so you can see how little they are! I’m only making like ten little flowers at a time! 😬 I’m using soap dough for the center that I roll in little balls and put in the mold and then I pour melt and pour over it. Taking me forever as I only have two of these molds. View attachment 53665
Ah, yes, that works much better. I piped every little daisy petal for mine and it was extremely time consuming and messy. Need to get me some silicone molds!

Attachments

• 059C4A33-A2D1-42EC-A6FB-7F4052B0CA70.jpeg
    059C4A33-A2D1-42EC-A6FB-7F4052B0CA70.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 30
Of course I don't mind sharing but everyone here probably knew about it before me. I have been wet rendering in the past and the butcher gave me many kilos and what a mess, boiling over on the floor (it went well the first time, but after that.....) so this time I used the crock pot and did it without water. Low setting, checked the temperature it was 200 degrees. I have always been afraid of a roasted scent in the tallow but it did not happen. It is a little golden in color. I will do it again with baking soda in some water then through a pantyhose for the last step. I don't know why I think I have to do 20 kilos at a time, it was so much better working smaller. I am picking up more today and will be set for a while. I will ask him about the lard, I have not tried that yet. Thanks for asking!
So, it turns to liquid with this method, rather than cooked globs of fat? Fantastic and thanks for sharing.

The last couple days I’ve been making little tiny flower embeds for the top of a loaf I plan to make. This is very tedious and time consuming but they are so cute!
Beautiful!! That would make a cool bridal bouquet for a soaper!

Latest posts

Back